EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

2 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

I don’t see how that matters? Tielemans does not have control of the ball and kicks Werner in the heel. At the time of the contact, of the two of them, the player most likely to have possession is Werner, he gets his body in between the opponent and the ball and then is clearly fouled.

Cannot understand how VAR didn’t give a penalty. Absolutely bizarre decision.

My argument would be that he causes the contact. He doesn't attempt to play the ball, he just steps across someone who is in possession and attempting to play the ball. He may be attempting to let it run across his body, but he is definitely trying to cause contact. Had he touched the ball with his left foot or actually got possession before the contact was made, then I'd agree it's a stonewaller.

I can see why it could be a penalty, and why people would argue for it, but to me what he has done is not much different to a stiker hanging a leg out running through on goal hoping to catch a defender or keeper. Again, I'm happy to be corrected if I have got this totally wrong.

11 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Werner had his full body in front, he hadn't just dangled a leg. Werner had control.

Werner didn’t have control, he just steps across as Tielemans is already mid-kick of the ball. I mean, I’ve seen them given but I don’t think that a foul or a pen should be given because the player is simply kicking the ball and the player puts himself in the way of it. Similar to the rescinding of Balbeuna’s red when he got sent off for catching a player mid-kick. 

Edited by Jambomo

1 minute ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

And Leicester's sad but inevitable failure to secure Champions League football from a dominant position for the second year running is all but complete. 

Is there an extra CL place since either Man City or Chelsea will win it? 

not a lot of contact on that. Stupid from Fofana to even give Werner a sniff of doing that. VAR not going to overrule the awarding of the foul. Only checking the location.

Really surprised by Leicester's tactics here. A draw tonight isn't worth much of anything to them, they would still need to beat Tottenham. Maybe they don't have it in them to play at a higher tempo tonight and really press chelsea.

1 minute ago, Jambomo said:

Is there an extra CL place since either Man City or Chelsea will win it? 

No. there is only a fifth place awarded if the CL winners haven't qualified via the league.

This is a good result for Hibs/St Johnstone for getting guaranteed european group matches which is under threat from Chelsea winning the CL and not being in the top 4 or Villarreal winning the EL.

Just now, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

No. there is only a fifth place awarded if the CL winners haven't qualified via the league.

This is a good result for Hibs/St Johnstone for getting guaranteed european group matches which is under threat from Chelsea winning the CL and not being in the top 4 or Villarreal winning the EL.

I’d like to see St Johnstone or (yes!) even Hibs in Europe so I hope that they get what they need. Means cheering on Man U and Man City which is going to be an effort 🤣

7 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

not a lot of contact on that. Stupid from Fofana to even give Werner a sniff of doing that. VAR not going to overrule the awarding of the foul. Only checking the location.

Really surprised by Leicester's tactics here. A draw tonight isn't worth much of anything to them, they would still need to beat Tottenham. Maybe they don't have it in them to play at a higher tempo tonight and really press chelsea.

Talking pish here.

A draw is very important for Leicester since Liverpool with 2 wins will probably overtake them on goal difference for 4th spot.