Foraging

Two recent hauls,but with the first frost,that'll be an end to it for this season, as I'm not comfortable with blewits and other winter mushrooms. Chanterelles ( girolles ), Wood hedgehogs and wee broon chanterelles.be798aad38c4b0aeec3f9380a8b882ec.jpgad7db7bf2de8e9c0daad5785c0089554.jpg

Lovely stuff. Been a stinker of a year foraging wise for me, haven’t really been out at all. What are winter chanterelles like? I like chanterelles but curious to know how the winter variety tastes.

My post maybe wasn't clear. All the varieties of chanterelles I know are done after the first frosts. You get wood hedgehogs in the same habitats, though, and they're usually okay until about the end of the month.
Blewits are edible winter mushrooms that are pretty plentiful but I'm not confident with them, as they are very similar to other nasty ones. I'm considering going on a wee tuition walk to clear this up, though.

All funghi are edible; it's just that some will kill you!

The first photo looks like clouded agaric. If so, like many wild mushrooms, it is tasty and absolutely fine for most people but others will get terrible stomach pain. Best left alone. If tempted to try any wild mushroom you think you have identified as fine, always take a very small amount the first time and see how it goes, because even the most common ones upset some folk.

Pretty hard to even guess at the second one. It's always a good idea to photograph stems and gills/pores to help with identification.

I have been picking and eating funghi for about 20 years but still only take the varieties of which I'm certain. Just not worth the risk otherwise.
Also, best to learn by going out with someone who knows, as pictures in books rarely tell the whole story.
Cf the much quoted case of Nicolas Evans, author of The Horse Whisperer, and his mates. And he was supposedly experienced!
https://www.scotsman.com/news/we-all-fell-sick-and-when-i-checked-mushroom-book-it-said-deadly-1705876
Sorry for going on but thought your question worth a proper response.

8 hours ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:

All funghi are edible; it's just that some will kill you!

The first photo looks like clouded agaric. If so, like many wild mushrooms, it is tasty and absolutely fine for most people but others will get terrible stomach pain. Best left alone. If tempted to try any wild mushroom you think you have identified as fine, always take a very small amount the first time and see how it goes, because even the most common ones upset some folk.

Pretty hard to even guess at the second one. It's always a good idea to photograph stems and gills/pores to help with identification.

I have been picking and eating funghi for about 20 years but still only take the varieties of which I'm certain. Just not worth the risk otherwise.
Also, best to learn by going out with someone who knows, as pictures in books rarely tell the whole story.
Cf the much quoted case of Nicolas Evans, author of The Horse Whisperer, and his mates. And he was supposedly experienced!
https://www.scotsman.com/news/we-all-fell-sick-and-when-i-checked-mushroom-book-it-said-deadly-1705876
Sorry for going on but thought your question worth a proper response.

Thanks for that - much appreciated. I'm actually going to back to the Botanic Gardens in Dundee for another visit on Saturday so will try and get a better picture.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
51 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Happy new year all. Just walking across the green and there are millions of mushrooms. 

Could it be magic? 

20230720_163837.jpg

20230720_163831.jpg

That's the wee buggers you gets tons of when you mulch with cheap compost. No idea what variety they are mind.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Nearly two kilos of brambles picked. I have a lovely spot to go for them.

Now made into jam. 

Im not mad about the seeds so i think ill try sieve them next time.

20230729_121815.jpg

20230731_164017.jpg

Is this some of lab experiment? Brambles can't be ready yet surely?

Im outside Dublin if that makes a difference.  There are still plenty more to come on the bushes so these were the first ones. I like the early ones that have a sharper taste. The late summer ones lose something. Like an over ripe banana.