Merge the English & Scottish League Cups

algy

The title says it all. But neither competition is particularly highly rated, so what about combining them both, plus the teams in Welsh & Northern Irish top divisions. Early rounds regionalised to bring it down to something like 48 English, 12 Scottish, 2 Northern Irish, 2 Welsh, then a single legged, straight knockout competition. Maybe a gentlemans agreement that one UEFA Cup place is awarded to the winner from the appropriate national association's quota.

An obvious solution would be to get Scottish clubs into the EFL Cup which is already north and south, the Carabou includes Premier Lge u21 sides which doesn't attract much interest. Maybe SPL clubs wouldn't be against travelling down to say  Carlisle, Sunderland,Sheffield etc and I'm sure crowds would increase with loads of Scots down in England able to see their clubs.

1 hour ago, Andy groundhopper said:

An obvious solution would be to get Scottish clubs into the EFL Cup which is already north and south, the Carabou includes Premier Lge u21 sides which doesn't attract much interest. Maybe SPL clubs wouldn't be against travelling down to say  Carlisle, Sunderland,Sheffield etc and I'm sure crowds would increase with loads of Scots down in England able to see their clubs.

I rather doubt if the English Premier League clubs would endorse an expansion of the EFL Cup, just so they could add to their already crowded schedules trips to the likes of Dingwall, Peterhead and Brechin.

It would be like asking Scottish clubs if they wished teams from the Faroese League entry to the Betfred Cup.

Edited by Ian38018

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Peter McCloy at the first goal, the Girvan Shitehouse.

Airdrie lost to Bury that year.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Scottish_Cup

Like the current Challenge cup it's a great day out for the boys and diehards, but a commercial disaster.

7 hours ago, Ian38018 said:

I rather doubt if the English Premier League clubs would endorse an expansion of the EFL Cup, just so they could add to their already crowded schedules trips to the likes of Dingwall, Peterhead and Brechin.

It would be like asking Scottish clubs if they wished teams from the Faroese League entry to the Betfred Cup.

The same goes for the lower league clubs.

Apart from trips to Dingwall etc., what about the home ties? If Rangers fans can devastate Manchester, think what they could do to High Wycombe or Kingston upon Thames.

34 minutes ago, ahemps said:

England are more likely to sack their league cup like France have just done as the big clubs complain about the already over packed schedule. No way are they looking to increase it or revamp it.

Isn't it amazing that, every time big clubs complain of fixture congestion, the teams that end up losing revenue from scrapped matches are the smaller teams?

I wonder if Covid will turn minds against the needless and interminable Champions League parade as a bunch of elite club players with squad numbers in the sixties swat aside BATE or Rosenborg year after year.