Things You Wish You Had Known Much Earlier

Hedgecutter

18 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Think its the states.

Can see how it could be offensive, youtube is full of these type of pranks. Worst one I watched was a guy dressed as an Arab throwing fake bombs at people.

It was a response to the post of someone saying they all had stauners. Sometimes not.

on a scale, size of the prank is directly proportionately to the perpetrators diminishing personality. FACT. 

Going out every weekend, spending money from an overdraft or credit card is a massive waste of money and you'll have to pay it back eventually. 

Sorry for the cliche but there is no substitute for simple, hard work whether it's for studying or working.

Learn to cook properly, not just throw stuff in the microwave or oven. Eat and enjoy healthier foods  and exercise properly and regularly. 

Appreciate the time you have with those you love because when they're gone, anything you have on your mind will only stay in your mind. 

Don't get heavily involved with anyone until you're genuinely ready for it. Especially when you've not even figured yourself out fully. 

Learning another language is incredibly beneficial for all kinds of reasons. 

Don't go shagging someone you simply don't find attractive, even for the ride. 

15 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Going out every weekend, spending money from an overdraft or credit card is a massive waste of money and you'll have to pay it back eventually. 

Sorry for the cliche but there is no substitute for simple, hard work whether it's for studying or working.

Learn to cook properly, not just throw stuff in the microwave or oven. Eat and enjoy healthier foods  and exercise properly and regularly. 

Appreciate the time you have with those you love because when they're gone, anything you have on your mind will only stay in your mind. 

Don't get heavily involved with anyone until you're genuinely ready for it. Especially when you've not even figured yourself out fully. 

Damned if I know why, but I read this in a David Attenborough-type accent.

There is a button on the dash of my 9 year old VW Golf - BT Media....well i dont subscribe to BT so never pressed it...

found out a couple of months ago that it means Blue Tooth Media - now I listen to tunes from my iphone without plugging it in - who knew? 

Disagree with the last part. Would definitely get younger me telt about missing clear open goals for shagging. Fucking thick sometimes I was.

23 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

All great simple advice except that last part

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
23 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Disagree with the last part. Would definitely get younger me telt about missing clear open goals for shagging. Fucking thick sometimes I was.

Aye me anaw. I reckon subconsciously it woulda been cos I had no where to take them which ties into Stellaboz's first point. Wasting money rather than saving up and getting out of home earlier.  

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
On 06/10/2020 at 10:43, Stellaboz said:

Mibbe a generational thing.

As a healthy young man during the AIDS crisis there were no open goals. You had to beat an entire team, then hope the opposition didn't kill you when you scored.

Wish I'd known that data science and statistics were going to be major growth industries when I was in school.

I ended up getting a trade instead, which was fine because you meet a lot of good people doing that, but statistics is just more interesting to me than engineering. And since I've now got a wife and mortgage, it's too late for a career change.

School career advice was fucking abysmal.

16 minutes ago, G51 said:

Wish I'd known that data science and statistics were going to be major growth industries when I was in school.

I ended up getting a trade instead, which was fine because you meet a lot of good people doing that, but statistics is just more interesting to me than engineering. And since I've now got a wife and mortgage, it's too late for a career change.

I feel your pain. But needs must.

I remember a letter in Viz from a middle aged man in a career rut, thinking of retraining as a professional footballer, and was considering Newcastle United as he had heard the money was quite good.

I often feel like that. Maybe Hamilton Accies is a more realistic option for me in my 50s 😆

3 hours ago, G51 said:

Do you do graphs? Theres a vacancy on the covid thread for a stat/graph guy

Statisticians can be somewhat over-confident in their work and can be a massive ball-ache in your line of work.  Therefore, I wish I had known to avoid stats like the plague and just told them "cool story bro" much earlier.

quote-statistics-are-like-miniskirts-the

10 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Just eat, deliveroo etc take huge cuts of the order when you get a takeaway through them. Thought it would be a quid or two but it's 15, 30%. I'm not using them again, just going to phone up directly now.

Used them once and after they had taken my money they said it would be 2+ hrs until delivery.

Never again.

35 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Just eat, deliveroo etc take huge cuts of the order when you get a takeaway through them. Thought it would be a quid or two but it's 15, 30%. I'm not using them again, just going to phone up directly now.

Do you know what scoffable take they are a Scottish equivalent.

Edited by 101

42 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Don't see what's wrong with it if they pay drivers to deliver when the restaurants don't do it themselves. It's a bit like waiters taking it to your table.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Most takeaways will send their own menu with the food and usually have their own app to order through next time. 

It's the same as Groupon etc, the percentages they take are a bit shit for places too. 

Aye my local 4 in 1 place of choice have launched their own app. Advertised prices are same but they apply a 10% discount at checkout.