Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I don’t know Glasgow well at all - is this really some sort of cultural disaster? IIRC most of that area is nightclubs and fast food. It is a nice old building and now looks a bit cheap but what else is going to realistically go there?

Strangely I think that’s his point,  that the area has high fast food and alcohol consumption, so another one is bad.   He’s seems to completely miss the point that these businesses naturally group together.    And for someone who likes to talk about class and poverty there’s more than a slight dose of scoffing about people who chose to spend their money in such a fashion.

He seems to have got himself in a right muddle over what he’s actually unhappy about,  an area based on nightlife economy? the loss of a coffee shop(which you struggle to walk 100 yards without coming across)? The fact an old building now has some outlets at street level which it has for decades?    All that he’s trying to claim as a loss of culture.  

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

His argument that the art school fires and covid have killed that area is bullshit tbh. That bit of Sauchiehall St has been a binfire for significantly longer than that

Glasgow City Centre in general is an absolute dump tbh.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Glasgow City Centre in general is an absolute dump tbh.

I've just been on Sauchiehall street killing time as my kids at a party in kareoke rooms.

It's an absolute dump!

I often read people on Twitter and elsewhere say that Glasgow has turned into a massive bin. Does this have any basis in fact? A lot of the people saying it sound a bit raging about life in general so I always take it with a pinch of salt.

8 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I don’t know Glasgow well at all - is this really some sort of cultural disaster? IIRC most of that area is nightclubs and fast food. It is a nice old building and now looks a bit cheap but what else is going to realistically go there?

It was a Starbucks and it had been shut and lying empty for 2 years.

There is another coffee shop practically next door.

Is it just me who thinks Glasgow city centre is a lot nicer than it used to be? In saying that they need to do something about Sauchiehall Street - once you cross the second set of traffic lights it becomes a right off. 

4 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Is it just me who thinks Glasgow city centre is a lot nicer than it used to be? In saying that they need to do something about Sauchiehall Street - once you cross the second set of traffic lights it becomes a right off. 

Absolutely. The area around central station is a dump. Sauchiehall Street is a dump. Argyle Street used to be ok until you crossed Glassford Street but it's massively deteriorated recently.

There is a very small area around Buchanan Street / Nelson Mandela Place that is acceptable, but that is it.

It's also riddled with American Candy, Vape and Tourist Tat shops.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Yes

I'm fortunate to love where I stay, but aware enough to realise that others might point the finger in a derogatory manner at my neighbourhood. 

I strongly believe that it's the others that have a problem. 

27 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

That's horrendous.

No-one should have to go into Mountain Warehouse

Ha! I was looking for shoes for my clowned feet child!