Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

A thread to discuss infrastructure in Scotland, both shite and good. I often find myself comparing Scotland to other countries and I think we are miles behind them tbh, especially when it comes to public transportation.

Last night the Rest & Be Thankful road was shut yet again after a landslide - the second one in 6 weeks. I think it’s crazy that a proper long term solution hasn’t been sought for this. I think we need something like this:

IMG_2313.jpg

It would cost a fair bit but it must be costing a fortune having to continually clear the road and put up these giant metal nets that seem to be doing very little. I think a bit of tree planting on the slopes wouldn’t do any harm either to help stabilise the banks.

Western A96 beyond Inverurie is still a bit of a winding single carriageway joke, although the recent bypass of the one-way section at Inveramsay and occasional crawler lanes have made a significant difference.  Still, there isn’t a drive that goes by without being stuck behind a tractor or horse box that sees a stupid amount of daft overtaking, most notably around Pitcaple.

At least Aberdeen got the AWPR which has made a massive difference and knocks 30 mins off my trips south.  I’ve not seen Anderson Drive or Bridge of Don for the best part of a year now.

19 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

A thread to discuss infrastructure in Scotland, both shite and good. I often find myself comparing Scotland to other countries and I think we are miles behind them tbh, especially when it comes to public transportation.

Last night the Rest & Be Thankful road was shut yet again after a landslide - the second one in 6 weeks. I think it’s crazy that a proper long term solution hasn’t been sought for this. I think we need something like this:

IMG_2313.jpg

It would cost a fair bit but it must be costing a fortune having to continually clear the road and put up these giant metal nets that seem to be doing very little. I think a bit of tree planting on the slopes wouldn’t do any harm either to help stabilise the banks.

Better with these -

List of tunnels in Switzerland - Wikipedia

36 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

IMG_2313.jpg

I think the locals didn't want that (whatever it's called) but you would think after the carry on this year it would make sense.

In terms of pointless infrastructure Falkirk Football Stadium now has a huge electric parking place next to it, that would make sense if FFS was a major employer or near a public transport hub, the fact it's neither makes it kind of pointless.

Most of it is terrible tbh.

No rail links from airports, only one real motorway and run down trains and buses.
We do have quite a sparsely populated country and roads can be scenic.
Main road to the west from fife isnt even dual carriageway and has been like this since nineteen canteen.
Good things are edinburgh bus system which was nearly ruined by an unnecessary replacement.
Dont like to run my own country down but its pretty dire tbh.

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

No rail links from airports, only one real motorway and run down trains and buses.
Main road to the west from fife isnt even dual carriageway and has been like this since nineteen canteen.
Good things are edinburgh bus system which was nearly ruined by an unnecessary replacement.

Tbh it's about as good as anywhere in the world as just about every country in the world has a poor public transit system. I wish Scotland could be world leading but the cash simply isn't there it just flung in it entity on projects coming out of London (HS2) or projects in London (Crossrail)

The Ferry system is another failing the major islands should be joined by tunnels. I don't think making the road through Kincardine a dual carriageway is a priority for anyone, sticking trains along there would be good though.

15 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Of all the infrastructure projects needing planned in Scotland, are you suggesting that the Cairneyhill or Oakley dual carriageway bypass is one of them???  :unsure:

Eta: much of the section from the Cairneyhill roundabout to Kincardine is poker-straight and the only place you see along the way is a caged-off Valleyfield.

Edited by Hedgecutter

A rail bridge next to the Dornoch road bridge would be my ask. 4 1/2 hours to go a hundred miles from Inverness to Wick has to be the slowest line in Britain, and diverting half way to the West coast for the sake of one lost French student is unnecessary. While they're at it they could straighten it north of Helmsdale.

14 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

From the top -

1. Edinbugh Airport has a tram right to the centre of the City.  Prestwick has a rail link.

2. 1 “real” Motorway?  Which one?  M8, M9. M80, M90, M74, M77?  

3. Run down trains and buses?  Most are better than anywhere else in the UK

4. Main road West from Fife isn’t dual carriageway - yes, if you ignore all the dual carriageways and motorways you could use. Dunfermline to Stirling?  Queensferry Crossing and up the M9?

But apart from that, you are bang on.  It is a shite state of affairs.

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

I don't think making the road through Kincardine a dual carriageway is a priority for anyone, sticking trains along there would be good though.

Now that Longannet is no more, there’s a largely functional (single line) railway still in place from Culross to Dunfermline that was used for the coal supply and will now be doing f*** all other than awaiting transformation into a cycle path in 50 years time.

31 minutes ago, 101 said:

I think the locals didn't want that (whatever it's called) but you would think after the carry on this year it would make sense.

In terms of pointless infrastructure Falkirk Football Stadium now has a huge electric parking place next to it, that would make sense if FFS was a major employer or near a public transport hub, the fact it's neither makes it kind of pointless.

Pays for itself in 7 years

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Now that Longannet is no more, there’s a largely functional (single line) railway still in place from Culross to Dunfermline that was used for the coal supply and will now be doing f*** all other than awaiting transformation into a cycle path in 50 years time.

I would imagine the train factory will use the line now, but no reason why you couldn't have a service along it.

1 minute ago, Gaz FFC said:

Pays for itself in 7 years

Didn't know that, that's something at least.

Isn't the longannet line the one that was in the news recently that's getting new stations put in and made into a half hourly passenger service?

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

A rail bridge next to the Dornoch road bridge would be my ask. 4 1/2 hours to go a hundred miles from Inverness to Wick has to be the slowest line in Britain, and diverting half way to the West coast for the sake of one lost French student is unnecessary.

With Carbisdale shut down, Invershin station is redundant and very, very few locals in Sutherland use Lairg or Ardgay stations.  It’s genuinely quicker to hitch-hike to Inverness from those taking the Struie Road and now that the NC500 is king, no tourist goes near Lairg anymore (which is f***ing brilliant for belting it up the Loch Shin road, which you’d never guess was an A Road).