Dunfermline v Queens

Queens’ first goal OFW should be palming that away. Stupid mistake. Second goal is one of the most stupid penalties I’ve seen us concede. Thankfully we scored enough goals to get the win, but we can’t keep that up forever. Teams like Ayr and Hearts should be punishing us.

On 31/10/2020 at 14:52, palmy_cammy said:

Dom Thomas up against Gibson, what could go wrong?

Looks like we’re setup to try and shitfest it. This cunning plan falls apart when you realise we seem to concede at least 2 goals every match.

We’ll throw some attacking players on when the game is already gone and Johnston will make some generic comments about not being able to fault the players’ effort but individual errors are killing us.

Sounds like I was wrong about Gibson but the rest was pretty much bang on.

image.jpeg.cb2a0818aafd56372ebd0f012ed927bf.jpeg

Still trying to defend them? That's mental. 
They're dreadful. 
It's not about defending them. We could have peak Puyol and Pique at CB and we'd still be conceding these goals. Poor marking at corners isn't entirely down to the CB's. Everyone needs to take responsibility for basic defensive duties.

5 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Sounds like I was wrong about Gibson but the rest was pretty much bang on.

image.jpeg.cb2a0818aafd56372ebd0f012ed927bf.jpeg

As soon as the “If we can cut out the silly mistakes” quote starts to get trotted out, you know you’re in serious trouble.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, FrankReynolds said:
They're dreadful. 

It's not about defending them. We could have peak Puyol and Pique at CB and we'd still be conceding these goals. Poor marking at corners isn't entirely down to the CB's. Everyone needs to take responsibility for basic defensive duties.

Except yesterday it was your Cbs 

Buchanans attempt at marking for the first goal is absolutely hilarious. 

It was their men at the corners yesterday. It was an idiotic tackle from a midfielder for the penalty. The CBs have been at fault for other goals so far but not 100% of them. Even with better CBs, that won't improve midfielders not tracking their men at set-pieces or from open play for that matter. Our awful defending is far more complex than "the CBs are shit" is my point.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:
17 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

It was their men at the corners yesterday. It was an idiotic tackle from a midfielder for the penalty. The CBs have been at fault for other goals so far but not 100% of them. Even with better CBs, that won't improve midfielders not tracking their men at set-pieces.

Better defenders would've meant not losing that first goal though, which was pretty crucial. 

2 hours ago, FrankReynolds said:
They're dreadful. 

Yesterday at the corners it was Buchanan that let his man get to the ball first for the goal and at the 3rd goal it was Buchanan & Obileye's men that ran away from them combined and scored... 🤦‍♂️

Yesterday at the corners it was Buchanan that let his man get to the ball first for the goal and at the 3rd goal it was Buchanan & Obileye's men that ran away from them combined and scored... [emoji2357]
Point being? I've already said I'm not defending the CB's for yesterday, they were directly at fault for 2 of the goals yesterday.

AGAIN, my point is that it's more than just saying we need better CB's. Of the 10 goals we've conceded they've been directly responsible for 3 of them. Another 2 you could partially blame Buchanan. The partial ones and the rest of them have been down to midfielders either making a mistake or not tracking. Two brand new centre backs won't solve that problem.

Point being? I've already said I'm not defending the CB's for yesterday, they were directly at fault for 2 of the goals yesterday.

AGAIN, my point is that it's more than just saying we need better CB's. Of the 10 goals we've conceded they've been directly responsible for 3 of them. Another 2 you could partially blame Buchanan. The partial ones and the rest of them have been down to midfielders either making a mistake or not tracking. Two brand new centre backs won't solve that problem.

Maybe not, but having competition for places always helps bring the best out of players or they will be sitting on the bench... 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

13 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I thought Gibson did well at RB yesterday. I'd be tempted to keep him there. I wonder given his expressed preference to play in midfield if it might be worth trying Nortey there. Defensively the midfield looks poor.

Gibson's done absolutely fine at right back in every game. I'm not sure it's where he saw himself playing but it's not particularly a problem either while he's doing it. He struggled at left back but it's not a reason to suggest he can't play right back. It's a pity circumstances effectively prevented him playing there in the first two league games. Thomas is as good as any winger in this league and I think he beat Wullie and left him for dead once yesterday.

I thought Gibson did well at RB yesterday. I'd be tempted to keep him there. I wonder given his expressed preference to play in midfield if it might be worth trying Nortey there. Defensively the midfield looks poor.

Nortey did alright centre half [emoji85][emoji23]