Lowland Trapdoorwatch 2020-21

FairWeatherFan

49 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

If Elgin City are Club 42 and Bonnyrigg wins promotion it leaves the Lowland League at 15 clubs. The Tier 6 Champion wins promotion and fills the 16th spot, meaning no relegation.

Thanks for clarifying.

I found this graphic in the LL rules, which may help everyone understand the permutations.image.thumb.png.277aa28d7f95205528ab4b995322be63.png

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

That would be another hammer blow to the reputation of the league. Vale of Leithen currently sitting with 3 wins in 63 over the last 3 seasons.

Agree with this, and I am sure Vale would rather drop a level as well, it can’t be enjoyable for them.

4 minutes ago, It's Me said:

It’s not that difficult to work out. The tier 6 champion club goes up therefore team 16 goes down. So any talk of no relegation is nonsense. 

Wrong. If Elgin are relegated and Bonnyrigg promoted there is no relegation from the LL. It has been like this ever since the LL got to 16 teams in 2016, though prior to a rule change in 2019 the bottom club would always be relegated but could reapply if there was a vacant spot. 

Just now, Ginaro said:

Wrong. If Elgin are relegated and Bonnyrigg promoted there is no relegation from the LL. It has been like this ever since the LL got to 16 teams in 2016, though prior to a rule change in 2019 the bottom club would always be relegated but could reapply if there was a vacant spot. 

Thanks for clarifying. So Vale could be saved again then. 

3 hours ago, It's Me said:

It’s not that difficult to work out. The tier 6 champion club goes up therefore team 16 goes down. So any talk of no relegation is nonsense. 

3 hours ago, Ginaro said:

3 hours ago, It's Me said:

Thanks for clarifying. So Vale could be saved again then. 

It's due to how the LL deals with a net loss of 1 club - by reprieving a club from relegation (which starting out 1 ends up 0). In the EOSL it's dealt with by adding an extra promotion from below.

EDIT: so Elgin down + Bonnyrigg up + Linlithgow up = LL reprieve Vale, whereas in EOS Premier nobody reprieved and extra team comes up from First Division.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Farcical that scenarios exist where there is no automatic relegation from a 16-team league or even a playoff. 

It should be one down automatically no matter what happens in other leagues. If this leaves them one short then just promote the EoS and WoS champions together.

1 hour ago, stanley said:

Farcical that scenarios exist where there is no automatic relegation from a 16-team league or even a playoff. 

It should be one down automatically no matter what happens in other leagues. If this leaves them one short then just promote the EoS and WoS champions together.

What about the SoS champions?

16 hours ago, stanley said:

3 teams can playoff for 2 spots if needed. Not much need to mention the SoS currently. They're only there for historical reasons and have no chance up against the likes of Auchinleck, Pollok, Linlithgow etc.

And yet it's historical reasons you made your statement from

4 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I, for one, will piss myself laughing if Vale of Leithen manage to stay up again.

VoL get saved for a 3rd time. The Highland League expands to 19. Both things might inspire some changes to how promotion/relegation works between Tier 5 & Tier 6 in those regions.

Doubt it though🤣

It will never happen for a number of reasons but over the next couple of years I'd look to implement:

Merge the SoS into the WoS so we have one regional feeder at tier 6 in the West of the country.

Champions of EoS and WoS go up automatically.

Second in EoS plays second in WoS in a one legged playoff final at a neutral venue. The winner is promoted to the LL.

Three relegated from LL depending on net loss/gain of teams.

14 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

It will never happen for a number of reasons but over the next couple of years I'd look to implement:

Merge the SoS into the WoS so we have one regional feeder at tier 6 in the West of the country.

If the East can go as far South as Hawick and Berwick then no reason the West can't go as far South as Gretna but how would you merge the SoSFL and WoSFL ?

The SoSFL I think would have a big say on the matter.

Yer right though it aint happening anytime soon.