Best player outwith the Old Firm

13 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

That's interesting because Anthony Stokes was mince and disruptive in 17/18, to the point that no one was sad to see him leave in January despite him scoring 2 goals in a Scottish cup final win 18 months earlier.

I get him involved directly in 8 goals for Hibs, and your top scorer that season, in just 18 games (goal involvement every ~180mins).

Whole system is weighted towards strikers who don't need many minutes/opportunities to either score or create a chance. Guess that's why he's so high.

And Callum Hendry consistently came out as our best player last season, until my last attempt brought out David Wotherspoon. My issues with Ralston were simply him coming out as our best defender last season constantly.

Edited by RandomGuy.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I get him involved directly in 8 goals for Hibs, and your top scorer that season, in just 18 games (goal involvement every ~180mins).

Whole system is weighted towards strikers who don't need many minutes/opportunities to either score or create a chance. Guess that's why he's so high.

Ach I'm just kidding on and I think it's cool that you seem to be getting a real interest and knack for it. I think Stokes that year is a classic case of stats not telling the whole story but I know you're not saying they do.

I asked earlier on but you might have missed it, where are you sourcing the stats from? I'd be interested in finding a good source myself for a project I'm thinking of working on. I assume Wyscout but just in case it's some mythical free site

Eta ha just seen your post on the Hibs thread from yesterday

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

27 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I assume Wyscout but just in case it's some mythical free site

You can get it for free, sort of.

You get a WyScout app. Download it and create a mobile account. Its free but about 1% of the real site.

Then go onto WyScout on your laptop/desktop and use the same log in, and you get almost the full package for nothing.

Cant remember what you get/don't, you definitely don't get videos/reports though, but might be enough for what you want.

Non Celtic / Rangers Scottish Premiership team

Nisbet Shankland

Campbell Ferguson McCrorie

Stevenson.                                     O'Donnell

Considine                Kerr

Gallagher

Gordon ( premiership standard )

Edited by ewan14

On 01/11/2020 at 07:47, TheScarf said:

Marley Watkins has to be up there. He's played at a higher level and it shows.  Does everything that bit quicker, and better, and his eye for a pass is excellent. Plus he's rapid. 

I really like Watkins, he’s got a great work rate and links up really well, but he’s probably about our seventh or eighth best player.

FWIW our other players whom I think are better than Watkins:

Lewis

Hoban (our best player and someone who would be nowhere near us if not for his injury record imo)

Ferguson

McCrorie (does he count?) 

Hedges (2020/21 vintage)
Cosgrove

I think you could also make a case for Jonny Hayes despite him getting on a bit now.

Personally I think the best player is Hoban or Allan Campbell, he’s always looked excellent whenever I’ve seen him and has schooled our midfield on occasion.
Nisbet has been fantastic this year as well, vastly outshining the much-hyped Shankland, though admittedly he has fairly limited top flight experience compared to some others. 

1 hour ago, ewan14 said:

Non Celtic / Rangers Scottish Premiership team

Nisbet Shankland

Campbell Ferguson McCrorie

Stevenson.                                     O'Donnell

Considine                Kerr

Gallagher

Gordon ( premiership standard )

Not bad.

Would question whether Shankland has done enough at Premiership level yet to be in there.  Stevie May has done more this season and I wouldn't be suggesting him.  Matt Kennedy played up front for us a few times and was excellent there.. I'd pick him ahead of Shankland there in all honesty.

If Lewis Stevenson is currently the best left back outwith the OF then that tells everything about the standard.  In fact, you're going with a back three so I'd have Hayes as LWB ahead of Stevenson.

Has McCrorie played more than half a dozen games in centre mid for Aberdeen? 

20 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Not bad.

Would question whether Shankland has done enough at Premiership level yet to be in there.  Stevie May has done more this season and I wouldn't be suggesting him.  Matt Kennedy played up front for us a few times and was excellent there.. I'd pick him ahead of Shankland there in all honesty.

If Lewis Stevenson is currently the best left back outwith the OF then that tells everything about the standard.  In fact, you're going with a back three so I'd have Hayes as LWB ahead of Stevenson.

Has McCrorie played more than half a dozen games in centre mid for Aberdeen? 

Is Hayes Scottish ?

On 02/11/2020 at 13:33, RandomGuy. said:

20201102_133012.thumb.jpg.41650feb36e28d129d81532eb3284c44.jpgScreenshot_20201102-133033_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.49266db8db63426f3a22ed12a152a227.jpgScreenshot_20201102-133052_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.e81bae589b6931c786dbb661930373c9.jpg

There's yer list of strikers over the past 4 years, scored/ranked based on "efficiency" in front of goal, and how many chances they set up aswell.

Cosgrove the obvious one a bit low, but he seems to set up almost no chances for team mates.

19/20 a muddle but the rest ordered by club.

Anthony Stokes in 17/18 officially the best non-OF striker. Kevin Nisbet this season (so far).

By using this xg are you not under rating strikers who continually get in good positions and play the percentages compared to those that score the odd worldy? 

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

By using this xg are you not under rating strikers who continually get in good positions and play the percentages compared to those that score the odd worldy? 

The xG p90 wasn't actually used as part of the final score, just used how they scored compared to their xG.

So if Player A is taking 40 potshots with a combined xG of 3, and missing them all, they'll be rated a lot lower than Player B who scores their only 0.3xG chance of the match.

As in, the Player A gets -3 for that, while Player B gets +0.3.

Think that was fairer than just using overall xG?

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The xG p90 wasn't actually used as part of the final score, just used how they scored compared to their xG.

So if Player A is taking 40 potshots with a combined xG of 3, and missing them all, they'll be rated a lot lower than Player B who scores their only 0.3xG chance of the match.

As in, the Player A gets -3 for that, while Player B gets +0.3.

Think that was fairer than just using overall xG?

To the limited extent i understand that, it depends what you're trying to rate. 

If you want a really skilful lazy git who gets by on scoring every couple of games from half chances, then your system rates that highly. Hence Stokes. 

If you want a workmanlike striker that only scores one in 20 of 10 half chances a game because they're always challenging crosses etc then they'll be rated as shite, despite scoring the same number of goals  and probably being more help the team. 

Not saying your ratings are wrong. Just saying that there's a value judgement in there about what constitutes a good striker. 

Example- Aberdeen 18-19. No way was James Wilson a much better striker than Stevie May in my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, coprolite said:

To the limited extent i understand that, it depends what you're trying to rate. 

If you want a really skilful lazy git who gets by on scoring every couple of games from half chances, then your system rates that highly. Hence Stokes. 

If you want a workmanlike striker that only scores one in 20 of 10 half chances a game because they're always challenging crosses etc then they'll be rated as shite, despite scoring the same number of goals  and probably being more help the team. 

Not saying your ratings are wrong. Just saying that there's a value judgement in there about what constitutes a good striker. 

Example- Aberdeen 18-19. No way was James Wilson a much better striker than Stevie May in my opinion. 

Was nothing more than me fucking about to see if I could find a rating system that wasn't a dumpster fire tbh.

Aim was to identify strikers who are both a reliable goalscorer, and able to regularly set up chances, and think that come out well enough for a first go.

Tommy Hoban - Opposition fans aren't familiar with him but he's arguably our best player.

Ross McCrorie

Lewis Ferguson

Jonny Hayes

Ryan Hedges

Martin Boyle

Chris Burke

Marley Watkins - he's played an integral role in our team this season.

Lewis/Craig Gordon

Allan Campbell 

Declan Gallagher

McNamara - St Johnstone Loanee

I'm still not convinced by Shankland, Nisbett or McCann however time will tell.