Israel v Scotland - 18 / 11 / 2020

3 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

We weren’t dreadful though. We didn’t take our chances and we weren’t creative enough but there is a real difference in our play in defence, going forwards - there is a space between being brilliant and brutal - we weren’t great but we weren’t awful either.

It’s back to this. Trying to come up with the correct description of Scotland’s latest performance.

Whether we were dreadful, brutal or brilliant is subjective. We lost the last two games, and the aim was not to lose them. Disappointing.

I didn’t enjoy watching that game.

Not as sound a defensive performance as previous games and I'm probably less horny for the World Cup Qualifiers than I was, but we've ultimately finished second in a group of four teams at a similar level to our own. I had no confidence at all in us doing that a couple of months ago.

A 'plan B' is a hard thing to implement with the current squad of 23, but if Burke and Paterson are replaced by Fraser and Forrest that something that can easily be worked on before June alongside hoping a striker can hit a bit of form.

32 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Oh they had two chances? f**k me, my bad. Israel must have been shit hot while I wasn't looking!

Don't be a tit. They had 3 very good chances, one of which they scored from.

They had other chances as well, but they were more half chances, much like most of ours were.

Who said Israel were 'shit hot' incidentally? Do you always apply logic like a child? There's a rather substantial range from 'shit hot' to us apparently being 'by far' the better team. Most things don't actually need to sit at the extreme end of a scale.

15 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Agreed. Get a better centre half ( or just someone who naturally plays in defence) instead of Mctominay.  Nearly cost Serbia and well tonight he got done.

Not that it looked like we were ever going to win this evening but he is not a defender.

Robertson i dunno what it is but I'd rather we have tierney out there however I know that will not happen like wise with McTominay ever being dropped.

Meh we still beat Serbia 🙂

I think McTominay is fine in that position. Wouldn't swap him out.

Incidentally, how did Israel get promoted to Group B anyway? Appreciate they got a play off as they were best second place Group C team and one of the winners Finland qualified automatically, but why did Israel get promoted too?

Yeah, bit of a numberwang, that.

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Incidentally, how did Israel get promoted to Group B anyway? Appreciate they got a play off as they were best second place Group C team and one of the winners Finland qualified automatically, but why did Israel get promoted too?

The tournament was restructured. Leagues A and B only had 3 team groups last time.

Edited by Lurkst

Just now, DA Baracus said:

I think McTominay is fine in that position. Wouldn't swap him out.

Im 50/50 just can't decide, he brings so much to the position in a positive side. With his distribution and ball carrying at times. Also his physical attributes.

Hes definitely improving all the time there. But he's prone to a  mistake a natural centre half may not make. One mistake there is so costly.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

Making a major tournament for the first time in 23 years outweighs the disappointment of winning the group,two promotions in a row would've been great in the nations league.
This squad or pool of players have more major tournaments in them, for me they are all at a good age and will get better with more experience at international level.

35 minutes ago, ArtemisClydeFrog said:

Performance adequate but the lack of goals is a concern. We created a number of chances but not too many I would deem clear cut, perhaps to be expected when the two behind the striker both lack a little creativity. 

Undoubtedly need more from Robertson too. Reminded me of Greg Taylor at Celtic tonight with how passive he was in attack. Not ideal for the formation when your wing backs can't beat a man. 

Very much this.

Czech Republic had 12 shots 6 on target and won 2-0.

Scotland had 19 shots 7 on target and lost 1-0. 

If we had any kind of decent goalscorer we would have won tonight and probably v Slovakia. 

The football is a lot better, but it is like watching Motherwell early season. Dominate possession have plenty of chances and then concede to the few chances the opposition has. 

Frustrating but we won the important one. 

Fingers crosses for a decent World Cup draw but you can bet it will be two of the toughest teams from Pot 1 and Pot 2.  Oh and Israel..

Edited by welldaft

Im 50/50 just can't decide, he brings so much to the position in a positive side. With his distribution and ball carrying at times. Also his physical attributes.
Hes definitely improving all the time there. But he's prone to a  mistake a natural centre half may not make. One mistake there is so costly.

It'd be an ideal time to uncover a top level, ball-playing, right-sided centre half.

28 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Robertson i dunno what it is but I'd rather we have tierney out there however I know that will not happen 

It's because Tierney plays that position almost every week for Arsenal, left side of a back three (or left centre in a back 5 if you prefer.) Robertson never does and never has as far as I know, and is usually spending more time attacking than defending with Liverpool, so playing Tierney inside and Robertson wider and further forward keeps them closer to what they're used to week in week out