Death penalty

welshbairn

52 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Sounds bad. That said, it’s possibly preferable to being raped for a couple of days, then smacked about the head with a shovel, covered in petrol, and buried alive, as happened to the victim in that original post. Both sound shite to be fair. 

That's it, I really don't give a f**k about the pain suffered by the murderer, in this case the more the better. It's a bunch of office boys or other no marks in the jury, judiciary, civil service or political class getting the right to say whether a man or woman in a cage lives or dies that I'm against.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

That's it, I really don't give a f**k about the pain suffered by the murderer, in this case the more the better. It's a bunch of office boys or other no marks in the jury, judiciary, civil service or political class getting the right to say whether a man or woman in a cage lives or dies that I'm against.

Serious question: Are there a particular group of people with specific occupations or qualifications that you'd be more happy to see decide on a death sentence?

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Similar sentiment here. I have little to no faith in quite a lot of politicians, and the court system and prison system seem to be the usual pretty inefficient, underfunded and poorly run public sector organisations. I wouldn’t like my life to be in their hands and I’d find it particularly galling if they had the power to order my death. Seeing what goes on in the USA it would just make lawyers richer will I stewed on death row for 30 years while they decided if I could be killed or not. By which time I might have decided the Fred West route was the best way to go.

That said, I don’t plan on killing anyone anytime soon.

In the near future the TV companies would have decided to make it prime time family viewing and they would be bobbing up and down in a lagoon in Australia or the likes with red numbers on them, waiting to be eaten by sharks or crocodiles to decide the lottery numbers. I see Chris Packham being a host and describing how wonderful these natural predators are as they bite into sinew and bone and screams fill the air as the water turns red. While Jeanie from Huddersfield jumps up and down with excitement at winning a tenner.

Edited by Scary Bear

4 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Serious question: Are there a particular group of people with specific occupations or qualifications that you'd be more happy to see decide on a death sentence?

They don’t exist yet. Some sort of Judge Dredd character most likely. Possibly Robocop.

8 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Sounds bad. That said, it’s possibly preferable to being raped for a couple of days, then smacked about the head with a shovel, covered in petrol, and buried alive, as happened to the victim in that original post. Both sound shite to be fair. 

That's true but sadly no one who is tempted to abduct rape, assault and burry someone thinking "oh I better not I'll get killed by the state"

4 minutes ago, throbber said:

It should be down to the victim of the crime to decide the punishment handed out but there should obviously be some sort of tariff depending on the severity of the crime. For example if some one burgles your house, rather than send the burglar to jail for 6 months the home owner can have the burglar shackled up inside their outhouse for that period of time and be allowed to lash them up to 100 times a day and feed them only dog food but there would have to be a compliance camera in case the abuse got too far.

This reminds me of this:-

And this:-

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

That's true but sadly no one who is tempted to abduct rape, assault and burry someone thinking "oh I better not I'll get killed by the state"

True.

Can someone like that be rehabilitated? Do they deserve the chance to be rehabilitated after such an act? Are they always going to be capable of similar crimes in the future? 

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Broke - hang the paedos
Woke - make the paedos do art and drama therapy courses to prevent them reoffending.
Bespoke - make them do art and drama therapy and then hang them

I’m amazed some Farage-type politician hasn’t been campaigning for a referendum on capital punishment. Just keep saying “paedos” and “child killers” and it’s a winner with the Facebook crowd. Even the normal punters won’t want to stick their head above the parapet. I mean, who wants to be seen as a supporter of paedos and child killers?

29 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Similar sentiment here. I have little to no faith in quite a lot of politicians, and the court system and prison system seem to be the usual pretty inefficient, underfunded and poorly run public sector organisations. I wouldn’t like my life to be in their hands and I’d find it particularly galling if they had the power to order my death. Seeing what goes on in the USA it would just make lawyers richer will I stewed on death row for 30 years while they decided if I could be killed or not. By which time I might have decided the Fred West route was the best way to go.

That said, I don’t plan on killing anyone anytime soon.

In the near future the TV companies would have decided to make it prime time family viewing and they would be bobbing up and down in a lagoon in Australia or the likes with red numbers on them, waiting to be eaten by sharks or crocodiles to decide the lottery numbers. I see Chris Packham being a host and describing how wonderful these natural predators are as they bite into sinew and bone and screams fill the air as the water turns red. While Jeanie from Huddersfield jumps up and down with excitement at winning a tenner.

Sounds fucking excellent. Would watch. 

5 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Facebook mums. Celebrity chefs. Lorry drivers. A jury of their peers, fellow murderers.

Serious answer: Nobody.

16 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

True.

Can someone like that be rehabilitated? Do they deserve the chance to be rehabilitated after such an act? Are they always going to be capable of similar crimes in the future? 

I'm not an expert in rehabilitation but don't see why you wouldn't try, however the sentence they would receive in Scotland would likely see them spend the rest of their life in jail.

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Facebook mums. Celebrity chefs. Lorry drivers. A jury of their peers, fellow murderers.

Serious answer: Nobody.

Aye, you definitely don't want me on the jury - my mind would be swayed purely on whether I liked your face or not. 

14 minutes ago, 101 said:

I'm not an expert in rehabilitation but don't see why you wouldn't try, however the sentence they would receive in Scotland would likely see them spend the rest of their life in jail.

We live in a capitalist society where money is king and where certain things - like stopping child poverty and homelessness - are seen as too expensive. Set against that backdrop of competing priorities, someone who has committed such a crime should be at the rock bottom of the list.