Death penalty

welshbairn

On 23/11/2020 at 19:07, welshbairn said:

You're a bit garbled, but if I get what you mean, I'd rather walk in the sunlight towards the wall, have a last cigarette looking at the clouds drifting, then bang, rather than getting strapped to a chair or bed and have needles and straps sorted by shaking, underpaid functionaries, and wait not knowing how bad it will be. I realise the firing squad scenario might not match up to Dave Allen sketches.

Sunlight? If the execution is happening in Scotland you’d better pray for a decent day. Don’t get executed in the Winter.

Would state execution be a devolved matter?

We’re a soggy left-wing paradise up here. No danger you’re getting shot by firing squad. Unless they think it’s sustainable and might prevent Climate Change or promote equality.

11 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

We’re a soggy left-wing paradise up here. No danger you’re getting shot by firing squad. Unless they think it’s sustainable and might prevent Climate Change or promote equality.

It saves on electricity so it's good for the environment

11 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It saves on electricity so it's good for the environment

Yes, but we also have to think of the health and wellbeing of our firing squad and prisoners. A team will need to be set up to look at the embodied carbon of the bullets. Only sustainably sourced bullets can be used.

In the glorious future all electricity will come from wind turbines so the prisoners can feel proud that they are being sustainably executed. 

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Yes, but we also have to think of the health and wellbeing of our firing squad and prisoners. A team will need to be set up to look at the embodied carbon of the bullets. Only sustainably sourced bullets can be used.

In the glorious future all electricity will come from wind turbines so the prisoners can feel proud that they are being sustainably executed. 

They could strap them to the wind turbines and kill 2 birds with 1 stone if you like.  

Who would be the Robespierre of Scotland’s Terror?

3 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Who would be the Robespierre of Scotland’s Terror?

In the current government? Probably Swinney. He’ll tell the condemned that the correct checks and balances have been put in place and that he has the levers of power.

In the current government? Probably Swinney. He’ll tell the condemned that the correct checks and balances have been put in place and that he has the levers of power.

Maybe a blended execution, part injection part electrocution? The executioner could be working from home, just hitting a key on his laptop via zoom?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

That’s a cheery story for a Friday morning. Thanks.

Incredible that a lad who burned two young folk in the boot of their car can come across as a far more decent individual that the leader of the free world.

Lads you need to watch a documentary called 14 Days in May if you're interested in the death penalty. Had a massive impact on me first time I saw.  I remember just saying to myself people should know that guy's name, everybody should know his name like Bruce Springsteen or something, it should be taught in schools etc.  Can't remember his name now but its well worth watching.