Celtic's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Celtic's next permanent manager?  

445 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

the best thing that happened for Rangers was the league finishing early last season and no fans allowed into the stadiums this season.

Do you genuinely believe what you've written? 

If it is Howe, I think Celtic will be looking for another manager in a year or so time. They won't give him the required time for the rebuild and they need and can't afford to 'fall' further behind Rangers. 

The best thing for Celtic to do was appoint a manager who will come in turn the club upside down and spend some of that money they have in the bank to achieve it. 

26 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Gerrard was under severe pressure last season. During the 8th minute in the game against Accies some fans decided to have an applause to back the manager, obviously yous went on to lose that game 1-0.

It could be argued covid saved his job. Whether or not he would have been sacked had the season continued in normal circumstances nobody can tell. Maybe the board would not have pulled the trigger, but the fans definitely turned on him.

Suppose what I'm trying to say is Gerrard was given time, the best thing that happened for Rangers was the league finishing early last season and no fans allowed into the stadiums this season.

Honestly I don’t think the board would have got rid of him . They would have justified it by the euro performances and results improving against Celtic . Only way he would have possibly been gone is if Celtic had gave us another severe doing in one or both of the remaining old firm games . Which even with our form I don’t think would have happened 

3 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Gerrard was under severe pressure last season. During the 8th minute in the game against Accies some fans decided to have an applause to back the manager, obviously yous went on to lose that game 1-0.

It could be argued covid saved his job. Whether or not he would have been sacked had the season continued in normal circumstances nobody can tell. Maybe the board would not have pulled the trigger, but the fans definitely turned on him.

Suppose what I'm trying to say is Gerrard was given time, the best thing that happened for Rangers was the league finishing early last season and no fans allowed into the stadiums this season.

I agree. I think you could see around that time that Gerrard wasn't sure how to fix it and wasn't in as good a mood. What they did with the time away was great but the pressure was building up.

I think most fans were still behind him though. Myself and many I know included.

Edited by DMCs

5 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Do you genuinely believe what you've written? 

If it is Howe, I think Celtic will be looking for another manager in a year or so time. They won't give him the required time for the rebuild and they need and can't afford to 'fall' further behind Rangers. 

The best thing for Celtic to do was appoint a manager who will come in turn the club upside down and spend some of that money they have in the bank to achieve it. 

Howe do you know he won’t turn the club upside down and do you genuinely believe if he is coming here he is doing so without cast iron guarantees about transfer kitties and the time he has to deliver success?

He isn’t a man to act on impulse and he has already been quoted as saying he has to be all in so he will likely be moving his family up here too and he won’t be doing that if there is any chance of him being out after a year.

An appointment like Howe is the best thing for Celtic and assuming he is given autonomy over his team and the final say on transfers I see no reason why we can’t challenge next year. Rangers won’t emulate this seasons form in the same way Rodgers Celtic team couldn’t the next season after going undefeated.

2 hours ago, DMCs said:

I agree. I think you could see around that time that Gerrard wasn't sure how to fix it and wasn't in as good a mood. What they did with the time away was great but the pressure was building up.

I think most fans were still behind him though. Myself and many I know included.

Out the cup and couldn't put two league wins together.

Ending the campaing early definitely stopped things getting worse. Celtic finished 13 points clear and it looked like theie lead could grow a bit more. If Gerrard had lost it by 20 points I think some Rangers fans would have been finished with him.

26 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

An appointment like Howe is the best thing for Celtic and assuming he is given autonomy over his team and the final say on transfers I see no reason why we can’t challenge next year. 

How has his most recent transfers gone in football? 

Celtic should be challenging every season, regardless of manager. You have to win it next season, with the guaranteed Champions League spot. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Alli said:

How has his most recent transfers gone in football? 

Celtic should be challenging every season, regardless of manager. You have to win it next season, with the guaranteed Champions League spot. 

Like pretty much every manager some rotters like Solanke and Ibe and some belters like Ake and Mings? Brendan Rodgers signed some absolute rockets for Liverpool in the likes of Moses,  Benteke and who can forget Balotelli so if we are to judge every manager by their dud signings then we would be bringing in a complete novice with no experience whatsoever.

And with someone like Howe I have a lot more confidence that we can challenge than we would with some of the other names touted.

But regardless of who we brought in your default mode would be to find the negative in it, especially when it concerns Celtic. 

1 minute ago, Jinky67 said:

Like pretty much every manager some rotters like Solanke and Ibe and some belters like Ake and Mings? Brendan Rodgers signed some absolute rockets for Liverpool in the likes of Moses,  Benteke and who can forget Balotelli so if we are to judge every manager by their dud signings then we would be bringing in a complete novice with no experience whatsoever.

And with someone like Howe I have a lot more confidence that we can challenge than we would with some of the other names touted.

But regardless of who we brought in your default mode would be to find the negative in it, especially when it concerns Celtic. 

It seems you're all in with Mr Howe. I'm not really sure what Brenda Rodgers time at Liverpool has to do with anything but if you want to flail about - go ahead. 

Absolutely, with Howe you definitely should have more of a chance to 'challenge'. Again though, Celtic shouldn't be looking to 'challenge'. If that's me finding the negative then christ knows what you're looking for to only be challenging. 

14 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

It seems you're all in with Mr Howe. I'm not really sure what Brenda Rodgers time at Liverpool has to do with anything but if you want to flail about - go ahead. 

Absolutely, with Howe you definitely should have more of a chance to 'challenge'. Again though, Celtic shouldn't be looking to 'challenge'. If that's me finding the negative then christ knows what you're looking for to only be challenging. 

No you are suggesting he won’t be given any time and will be only last a year or so which is pretty negative in my opinion. He is the best candidate from the managers we were ever likely to attract and trust me when you spent a week listening to the possibility of Roy Keane taking over being all in with Howe is a simple decision to make.

And saying we should be able to challenge better next season with Howe in charge  in some way imply the overall goal won’t be to win the league? Ofc it doesn’t, the goal every season is to win the league however this year we haven’t challenged at all and with an extensive rebuild to undertake us challenging Rangers and taking the title race to the very end will be progress even if we come up short. 

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

If Gerrard had lost it by 20 points I think some Rangers fans would have been finished with him.

I totally agree on this point which is potentially a word of warning to Eddie Howe. Ultimately you are unlikely to get loads of time at the OF. Which means does he really get one full season to build, as a minimum, before being truly questioned. 

I think if last season had been played to an end you've ended up in a weird situation where quite a lot of fans would have been Gerrard-out but the board wasn't close to that.

27 minutes ago, DMCs said:

I totally agree on this point which is potentially a word of warning to Eddie Howe. Ultimately you are unlikely to get loads of time at the OF. Which means does he really get one full season to build, as a minimum, before being truly questioned. 

I think if last season had been played to an end you've ended up in a weird situation where quite a lot of fans would have been Gerrard-out but the board wasn't close to that.

I may be totally off with this but I think Gerrard came in at the perfect time. Rangers were so far behind when he was appointed I think he was able to get away with Celtic winning 8 and 9 in a row as long as there was some sort of progress, which there clearly was, but he had to have Rangers in a position to at least run it close to stop Celtic winning 10 in a row which he has done in some style this season no matter what has happened with Celtic.

Howe isn’t going to get that sort of luxury, if that’s what you want to call it, next year. It’s the first time Scotland has that automatic qualifying spot in the Champions League so adding on Celtic trying to win the title back means he has to hit the ground running. If Rangers are out of sight by November/December/January next year then I can see the pressure from the fans, especially if they are back in the ground, maybe forcing the board into sacking him. It’s back to how it was before 2012, where it’s all about winning the title and unless it goes down to the wire he could find himself in trouble.

29 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

I may be totally off with this but I think Gerrard came in at the perfect time. Rangers were so far behind when he was appointed I think he was able to get away with Celtic winning 8 and 9 in a row as long as there was some sort of progress, which there clearly was, but he had to have Rangers in a position to at least run it close to stop Celtic winning 10 in a row which he has done in some style this season no matter what has happened with Celtic.

Exactly this. Gerrard walks in to Rangers at a (pretty low) point. Instantly gives the place a lift and players want to come and play for Gerrard - because it is Steven Gerrard. 

Who wants to play for Eddie Howe?

I honestly cant see how Howe is being talked up as highly. Poor transfers for the most part, his team played OK football - held their own - but were relegated eventually. He's now spent over a year touring training grounds and TV studios whilst turning down a gig at.. West Brom. 

Edited by Mr. Alli

10 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Exactly this. Gerrard walks in to Rangers at a (pretty low) point. Instantly gives the place a lift and players want to come and play for Gerrard. 

Who wants to play for Eddie Howe? 

That’s another great point actually. Nothing against Eddie Howe as he could be great but with both teams on a similar level, okay Rangers are probably a bit ahead of Celtic right now, but if a player needs convincing to come up to Scotland it is a much more appealing option to say you can play under Gerrard than Howe.

Looking at the squad, its far too bloated, we have some amount of players going nowhere. A clear out is needed, doesn't do the Team or those players any good hanging around with no path to first team in sight. 

Whoever gets job a clear out of squad and buying players who go directly into 1st team is needed, none of this sitting about for a season after buying them anymore

2 hours ago, BigDoddyKane said:

Looking at the squad, its far too bloated, we have some amount of players going nowhere. A clear out is needed, doesn't do the Team or those players any good hanging around with no path to first team in sight. 

Whoever gets job a clear out of squad and buying players who go directly into 1st team is needed, none of this sitting about for a season after buying them anymore

I disagree with this,Celtic need a big squad we play 60 games a season sometimes 15 games more than most teams in the league plus the internationalists.
The demands of getting to cup finals and playing in all competitions takes it's toll on smaller squads.