Celtic's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Celtic's next permanent manager?  

445 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

50 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You do wonder about his mentality.

Rodgers was an arrogant, overconfident, w****r of a man, but you probably need to be to succeed as a manager at Celtic/Rangers.

Howe didn't really strike me as that type at Bournemouth. The egos/pressure at Celtic will be far larger than anything he faced at Bournemouth. 

I think this is a good appointment for Celtic and Howe.

The reality is that after Bournemouth’s relegation, Howe’s stock ain’t particularly high down south therefore he needs to rebuild that before an EPL club will take a punt on him. He gets to come to Celtic, no doubt on a good salary and try and re-build that. The reality is he’ll be judged domestically and not in Europe therefore only has to finish above Rangers to be classed as a success.

Celtic, can say they’ve appointed a progressive manager and will sell a shit load of season tickets. 

8 minutes ago, G51 said:

This sounds like an absolutely class life to live tbh.

Howe is a good manager and he’ll be a good manager for Celtic if he signs there. Question is will he be given the time he needs to rebuild that team

Indeed it does, the Harry Redknapp lifestyle sounds just what the doctor ordered.

the right man will be given time i believe, there is a rebuild that needs to happen and i think most Celtic fans can accept that. 

However this is exactly the type of man we need, a proper coach. 

13 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

The reality is that after Bournemouth’s relegation, Howe’s stock ain’t particularly high down south therefore he needs to rebuild that before an EPL club will take a punt on him. He gets to come to Celtic, no doubt on a good salary and try and re-build that. The reality is he’ll be judged domestically and not in Europe therefore only has to finish above Rangers to be classed as a success.

Celtic, can say they’ve appointed a progressive manager and will sell a shit load of season tickets. 

Not too dis-similar from Rodgers to be fair, his stock wasn't very high after Liverpool. Granted he wasn't relegated however his stock had fallen. 

If he delivers us anything close to what Rodgers did then i'll be delighted, i just hope this early optimism and good feeling isn't an Aprils Fools joke and we unveil Roy Keane 😀

2 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Not too dis-similar from Rodgers to be fair, his stock wasn't very high after Liverpool. Granted he wasn't relegated however his stock had fallen. 

If he delivers us anything close to what Rodgers did then i'll be delighted, i just hope this early optimism and good feeling isn't an Aprils Fools joke and we unveil Roy Keane 😀

Main difference is that Rodgers had experience at a club with high expectations but I see your point re. Rebuilding reputation mate.

The does seem to be gathering momentum so expect we’ll here if there is truth in it soon.

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Not too sure about that. I think he will be judged on how he does in Europe, especially if Gerrard keeps getting Rangers into the last 16 of the Europa League. I get that all the Celtic fans will be desperate to win the league above all else next season but they will still be obsessed with outdoing Rangers in any way possible.

I think Rodgers got a bit of a free pass in Europe as he was so dominant domestically. Howe won’t have that luxury.

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

Indeed it does, the Harry Redknapp lifestyle sounds just what the doctor ordered.

the right man will be given time i believe, there is a rebuild that needs to happen and i think most Celtic fans can accept that. 

However this is exactly the type of man we need, a proper coach. 

No doubt he's a legitimately good coach and communicator.

I am extremely interested to see what he changes from Bournemouth - Rodgers learned the hard way that you have to be much more pragmatic in Europe. You'd imagine that Howe, having spent 5 years or so of his career competing against sides with much bigger budgets, will have recognised that to win one-off or two-legged matches he'll have to adapt his style of play. I'm also very interested to see how he fixes that defence, since that's where a lot of the issues stemmed from this season.

Kudos to Desmond. There was a real chance that he'd totally f**k this up and appoint someone useless like Mick McCarthy. But Howe is a good manager and he'll do well if he's adequately supported.

I do think it likely means that Celtic's sporting director role becomes fairly limited in it's scope - whether that's a problem or not, that's for Celtic fans to decide. But I don't think Howe takes the step down from the EPL and takes less control than he had at Bournemouth. I assume he's been given licence to run that side of things as he sees fit, and the sporting director will effectively work under him. That model can work, it's just not very fashionable right now.

Does Howe need to win the league championship in his first season back? If he doesn't, Rangers get the automatic CL spot and likely flip the financial advantage. If that happens, it could change the scope of the project for him - he'd basically be where Gerrard was in the summer of 2019.

Lots of interesting questions. I think Celtic are probably the most interesting team in the SPFL this coming summer because there's so many decisions to be made.

2 hours ago, G51 said:

No doubt he's a legitimately good coach and communicator.

I am extremely interested to see what he changes from Bournemouth - Rodgers learned the hard way that you have to be much more pragmatic in Europe. You'd imagine that Howe, having spent 5 years or so of his career competing against sides with much bigger budgets, will have recognised that to win one-off or two-legged matches he'll have to adapt his style of play. I'm also very interested to see how he fixes that defence, since that's where a lot of the issues stemmed from this season.

Kudos to Desmond. There was a real chance that he'd totally f**k this up and appoint someone useless like Mick McCarthy. But Howe is a good manager and he'll do well if he's adequately supported.

I do think it likely means that Celtic's sporting director role becomes fairly limited in it's scope - whether that's a problem or not, that's for Celtic fans to decide. But I don't think Howe takes the step down from the EPL and takes less control than he had at Bournemouth. I assume he's been given licence to run that side of things as he sees fit, and the sporting director will effectively work under him. That model can work, it's just not very fashionable right now.

Does Howe need to win the league championship in his first season back? If he doesn't, Rangers get the automatic CL spot and likely flip the financial advantage. If that happens, it could change the scope of the project for him - he'd basically be where Gerrard was in the summer of 2019.

Lots of interesting questions. I think Celtic are probably the most interesting team in the SPFL this coming summer because there's so many decisions to be made.

Rumour is it might be Richard Hughes. Could it be the Howe, Tindall, Hughes dream team?

7 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Rumour is it might be Richard Hughes. Could it be the Howe, Tindall, Hughes dream team?

That makes sense. Hughes worked under Howe in Bournemouth as a technical director. 

11 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Not too sure about that. I think he will be judged on how he does in Europe, especially if Gerrard keeps getting Rangers into the last 16 of the Europa League.

Europe is about co-efficient points and dosh there is very little between the two teams over the last 3 years.

14 hours ago, Empty It said:

Who looks at how Celtic fans treat anybody at the club and thinks it would be a good place to go.

Eddie Howe is out of work with no prospect of getting a job in the EPL due to his last couple of seasons with Bournemouth.

Given that Celtic is an opportunity for him to earn a 7 figure salary, I’m sure he thinks it’s a good place to go.

50 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Eddie Howe is out of work with no prospect of getting a job in the EPL due to his last couple of seasons with Bournemouth.

Given that Celtic is an opportunity for him to earn a 7 figure salary, I’m sure he thinks it’s a good place to go.

I don't follow the English game but Bournemouth is a seaside club totally different to Celtic, what he did at any other club has little relevance.
What you thinking about Saturday night wee man? The bairns must be playing with a bit of confidence. 

22 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I don't follow the English game but Bournemouth is a seaside club totally different to Celtic, what he did at any other club has little relevance.
What you thinking about Saturday night wee man? The bairns must be playing with a bit of confidence. 

In all honesty mate, we are playing awful. 4-0 Celtic but as they say, you never know.

Even though every appointment is a gamble surely Howe is as good as Celtic could have got?

I think after Rodgers, and to a slightly lesser extent Clarke and Gerrard,managers will view our league as a chance to raise their profile more now than the graveyard it was before.