Celtic's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Celtic's next permanent manager?  

445 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I could see Celtic going down the nostalgic route of appointing someone like Larsson - all the celtic fans would immediately be on side "he gets this football club" etc of course it'd be a disaster but old firm fans seem oblivious to good/bad appointments. 

Look how rangers were with Pedro "he's good mates with mourinho and alex ferguson m8"

Edited by red23

1 minute ago, red23 said:

I could see Celtic going down the nostalgic route of appointing someone like Larsson - all the celtic fans would immediately be on side "he gets this football club" etc of course it'd be a disaster but old firm fans seem oblivious to good/bad appointments. 

I honestly think it'll depend on how much say this new Chief Executive has in the appointment. If it's left strictly up to Desmond then aye, I can see an appointment like that happening. I just have to assume the new guy coming in has no prior connection with the club so will likely see things from a more objective point of view. Hopefully his opinions get overlooked.

41 minutes ago, AJF said:

Come on now Willy, there have been plenty of Celtic fans have made their feelings clear that they would not welcome Lennon back at Celtic Park.

And I never said that you shouldn't have sang about it, merely pointing out that it was arrogant to do so by assuming you'd canter to 10IAR. It was heralded as the holy grail and now the fans have been left with egg on their face.

It's strange I don't see Wim Jansen as a Legend in Celtic's history, he won the title and left.
Legends are guys that put the time in,Slippy G is not a legend M8.

3 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

It's strange I don't see Wim Jansen as a Legend in Celtic's history, he won the title and left.

The circumstances and context of Rangers winning the league this season is vastly different to Celtic winning the league under Wim Jansen. I don't think you'll find many Rangers fan that don't consider Gerrard a legend.

11 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Wim Jansen was there a season and carried on the work tommy burns had put in and started . Celtic had already shown they were worthy challengers in the 8 and 9 in a row season. 

Gerrard inherited a Rangers who were nowhere near Celtic, had not beaten them in 11 games  and had been eliminated from the previous seasons first round of qualifying in the Europa league. The turnaround he has done since he has been here has been fantastic. Trying to downplay just reeks of bitterness 

Edited by Forever_blueco

3 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

It's good to see the rangers fans having a wee gloat on Keane when he is no different to Slippy G.
They also said that Lennon was their best signing yet he went on to deliver a treble with Slippy G kicking stones.

You must have some doubts about the possibility of Celtic appointing Spleen, no? 

6 hours ago, Andre Drazen said:

Keane has been a failure in every managerial job he's had with players openly speaking about how useless he is.

Gerrard has had one senior management job and regardless of what happens next, he's likely to be remembered fondly by Rangers supporters.

Other than that, good comparison.

That's not true you always post mince.

6 hours ago, Golden Gordon said:

You must have some doubts about the possibility of Celtic appointing Spleen, no? 

Every appointment is a gamble,I agree the game has changed and Keane will be out of touch of how it operates now.
The way Celtic position themselves is a good place to be,the signing policy especially with players having all the power.
Players move on too quick for me frimpong as the example,any manager should get at least 3 transfer windows but with the transfer policy at Celtic it's impossible to build a squad over a period of time.

27 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Every appointment is a gamble,I agree the game has changed and Keane will be out of touch of how it operates now.
The way Celtic position themselves is a good place to be,the signing policy especially with players having all the power.
Players move on too quick for me frimpong as the example,any manager should get at least 3 transfer windows but with the transfer policy at Celtic it's impossible to build a squad over a period of time.

Lennon had 4 windows and the squad is a in a shit state. Its not a criticism than Lennon has to take accountability for alone i don't for a minute believe he had complete autonomy with regards to this probably very little, their are a lot of parties involved in our poor recruitment and indeed who we decide to let go.

What is also a concern is the lack of player development especially in our youth teams, not enough players make the transition to the first team nevermind make an impact - in the last 10 years we have had Tierney, Ajer (signed at 17/18), McGregor and Forrest?? Feel free to add some more that i may have missed.

Considering the success our youth teams have, they seem to be very dominant these lads dont seem to make the grade. Young Dembele being the next big talent that we seem to be about to lose so it seems any incoming DoF should certainly have this high on the priority list.

Edited by Jinky67

6 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Lennon had 4 windows and the squad is a in a shit state.

If you take the right back as an example, Lennon replaced Lustig with Frimpong and Elhamed before Lennon was sacked the club sold Frimpong and Elhamed went back home so we still haven't replaced Lustig yet 2 years have went by, this is the nature of the modern game,players are mercenaries with a few exceptions. 

33 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Lennon had 4 windows and the squad is a in a shit state. Its not a criticism than Lennon has to take accountability for alone i don't for a minute believe he had complete autonomy with regards to this probably very little, their are a lot of parties involved in our poor recruitment and indeed who we decide to let go.

What is also a concern is the lack of player development especially in our youth teams, not enough players make the transition to the first team nevermind make an impact - in the last 10 years we have had Tierney, Ajer (signed at 17/18), McGregor and Forrest?? Feel free to add some more that i may have missed.

Considering the success our youth teams have, they seem to be very dominant these lads dont seem to make the grade. Young Dembele being the next big talent that we seem to be about to lose so it seems any incoming DoF should certainly have this high on the priority list.

I thought it was more or less accepted that Lennon wasn't in control of the transfers? He was just accepting the shite Lawell gave him which was where Rodgers and Lawell fell out.

Wim Jansen was there a season and carried on the work tommy burns had put in and started . Celtic had already shown they were worthy challengers in the 8 and 9 in a row season. 

Gerrard inherited a Rangers who were nowhere near Celtic, had not beaten them in 11 games  and had been eliminated from the previous seasons first round of qualifying in the Europa league. The turnaround he has done since he has been here has been fantastic. Trying to downplay just reeks of bitterness 

Don’t really want to get involved but I need to call out this nonsense.

Jansen inherited nothing. He took over a team that had just lost Di Canio, Van Hooijdonk, Cadete, Thom and McStay from the previous season. He had to build an entirely new team during that summer.

Celtic had beaten Rangers 1 in 11 at that point (a league cup game) and hadn’t beaten Rangers in the league for 2 seasons.

Rangers had the second biggest wage budget in Britain and one of the highest across Europe at the time and had just spent more than £15m bringing in very good players, including the likes of Negri, Amoruso and champions league winning Sergio Porrini.

Add in the fact that he lost his opening two league games against Hibs and Dunfermline, it was an absolute miracle that Celtic won the league that season.

42 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

If you take the right back as an example, Lennon replaced Lustig with Frimpong and Elhamed before Lennon was sacked the club sold Frimpong and Elhamed went back home so we still haven't replaced Lustig yet 2 years have went by, this is the nature of the modern game,players are mercenaries with a few exceptions. 

An exception of which for me is Sinclair made no sense other than to get him off the wage bill. He loved it up here and could have been a very very useful player this season in a position where we lack quality. 

1 hour ago, Tartantony said:

Don’t really want to get involved but I need to call out this nonsense.

Jansen inherited nothing. He took over a team that had just lost Di Canio, Van Hooijdonk, Cadete, Thom and McStay from the previous season. He had to build an entirely new team during that summer.

Celtic had beaten Rangers 1 in 11 at that point (a league cup game) and hadn’t beaten Rangers in the league for 2 seasons.

Rangers had the second biggest wage budget in Britain and one of the highest across Europe at the time and had just spent more than £15m bringing in very good players, including the likes of Negri, Amoruso and champions league winning Sergio Porrini.

Add in the fact that he lost his opening two league games against Hibs and Dunfermline, it was an absolute miracle that Celtic won the league that season.

He still managed to replace those that left with adequate if not better if you consider he brought in Larsson. 

the record against Rangers was poor Solely based on results but even in those 2 seasons Every old Firm game was a close encounter with Rangers usually edging it  . Compare the more or less same run of form we had against Rodgers teams but the results paint a completely different story . 

before Gerrard arrived Rangers didn’t even look like they could beat Celtic in a game anytime soon. 

54 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

An exception of which for me is Sinclair made no sense other than to get him off the wage bill. He loved it up here and could have been a very very useful player this season in a position where we lack quality. 

Mikey Johnston and Forrest were major injuries for Celtic this season ,We lost Tierney,Sinclair,Lustig and Boyata in Lennon's first season we still went on to win a treble,the turnover of players each year and the impact made from the balancing act hasn't changed for next season.