'' Problem " position ?

ewan14

1 minute ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Never saw him but yes, he's probably a shoe in. One  game for either of the cheeks. That's how it usually works.

Harsh.  He's behind probably the best player in Scotland right now, and at 19, looked very comfortable away in Poland.

Is he a prospect? Observably, yes.  It's not like he has a Champions League and FA Cup winner ahead of him on that side of the pitch.

1 minute ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Harsh.  He's behind probably the best player in Scotland right now, and at 19, looked very comfortable away in Poland.

Is he a prospect? Observably, yes.  It's not like he has a Champions League and FA Cup winner ahead of him on that side of the pitch.

I'm not having a go at the kid. I've never heard of him until about 10 minutes ago. I hope he is the answer to our prayers. Just saying that if he played for Aberdeen or Hibs he'd have to play an awful lot of games before being thought of as a prospect for the national team.

10 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I'm not having a go at the kid. I've never heard of him until about 10 minutes ago. I hope he is the answer to our prayers. Just saying that if he played for Aberdeen or Hibs he'd have to play an awful lot of games before being thought of as a prospect for the national team.

Don't disagree with that point.  Imagine if Gilmour had played 13 games for Rangers and not one of the best teams in England...

15 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

in the bad old days , before SSC

Edited by ewan14

13 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I've never heard of him until about 10 minutes ago. 

Which means absolutely nothing in regards to his National team prospects. Obviously any player who starts getting games for the Old Firm is going to turn heads, I don't know why people act so bitterly about that. The "if he played for Aberdeen or Hibs" thing doesn't hold any water any more either, we've got players from the likes of Motherwell, Killie and Dundee United in just about every squad. If you're good enough Clarke will call you up and Patterson looks like he might be good enough to fill a position we've struggled with. 

That said, he needs much more game time, have no idea why he was taken off after 65 minutes last night. Seemed the perfect time to give him 90. Gerrard doesn't really appear too keen on giving young Scottish players a look in sadly. 

54 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Which means absolutely nothing in regards to his National team prospects. Obviously any player who starts getting games for the Old Firm is going to turn heads, I don't know why people act so bitterly about that. The "if he played for Aberdeen or Hibs" thing doesn't hold any water any more either, we've got players from the likes of Motherwell, Killie and Dundee United in just about every squad. If you're good enough Clarke will call you up and Patterson looks like he might be good enough to fill a position we've struggled with. 

That said, he needs much more game time, have no idea why he was taken off after 65 minutes last night. Seemed the perfect time to give him 90. Gerrard doesn't really appear too keen on giving young Scottish players a look in sadly. 

I just typed out a five paragraph reply to this and lost it and I'm quite annoyed about it.  Suffice to say I agree.

Is the problem position right back?

I can't fault O'Donnell's effort but I think he sticks out like a sore thumb for Scotland. He should be in the squad for the Euros but if we can get an upgrade in the starting 11 then we should look for one. 

While I wouldn't want to reward someone with a spot in the squad solely for the Euros who has turned us down before (I have no idea if they have but there has been talk we have asked them) but would Ryan Fredericks or Todd Kane at QPR be worth approaching?

On 11/12/2020 at 09:42, The Moonster said:

He’s only just back from COVID isolation, so he isn’t fit enough for 90 minutes yet. Gerrard hasn’t brought young players through but I expect a new contract for Kai Kennedy will see him recalled and him, Patterson and Ciaran Dickson seeing plenty of time from January on, with the odd game for Leon King too. Worth remembering that Rangers academy is only now seeing the fruits of a restructure that was undertaken 4/5 years ago.

Patterson will see 15 games + this season. He’s a very good prospect and rated highly at Rangers, but he has to deliver first before we start talking about the national team. Has a great engine and terrific crossing ability when he goes down the outside, but he loves to cut inside and play those quick one-two’s with forwards to break the defensive line and get in behind them. Pretty physical as well for his age. I really like the kid.

Dont expect to see him get national team consideration in the next 12 months unless there’s an injury to Tavernier, in which case he’ll step in and play a lot more. After that, who knows. But Gerrard was pretty clear in his post-match interview that he expects Patterson will eventually replace Tavernier.

43 minutes ago, G51 said:

He’s only just back from COVID isolation, so he isn’t fit enough for 90 minutes yet. Gerrard hasn’t brought young players through but I expect a new contract for Kai Kennedy will see him recalled and him, Patterson and Ciaran Dickson seeing plenty of time from January on, with the odd game for Leon King too. Worth remembering that Rangers academy is only now seeing the fruits of a restructure that was undertaken 4/5 years ago.

Patterson will see 15 games + this season. He’s a very good prospect and rated highly at Rangers, but he has to deliver first before we start talking about the national team. Has a great engine and terrific crossing ability when he goes down the outside, but he loves to cut inside and play those quick one-two’s with forwards to break the defensive line and get in behind them. Pretty physical as well for his age. I really like the kid.

Dont expect to see him get national team consideration in the next 12 months unless there’s an injury to Tavernier, in which case he’ll step in and play a lot more. After that, who knows. But Gerrard was pretty clear in his post-match interview that he expects Patterson will eventually replace Tavernier.

I sincerely hope you're right, it would be great to see 3 or 4 young guys given chances.

3 hours ago, ahemps said:

Is the problem position right back?

I can't fault O'Donnell's effort but I think he sticks out like a sore thumb for Scotland. He should be in the squad for the Euros but if we can get an upgrade in the starting 11 then we should look for one. 

While I wouldn't want to reward someone with a spot in the squad solely for the Euros who has turned us down before (I have no idea if they have but there has been talk we have asked them) but would Ryan Fredericks or Todd Kane at QPR be worth approaching?

No , Hickey should be ready by the Euros

Good insights. Re Tavernier, it feels to me like he's ripe for an EPL move for a hefty fee - to a Southampton or the like. That could be the thing that opens the door for Patterson.

25 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
2 hours ago, G51 said:

Good insights. Re Tavernier, it feels to me like he's ripe for an EPL move for a hefty fee - to a Southampton or the like. That could be the thing that opens the door for Patterson.

I'm not sure - Tavernier's 29 now, there aren't many players that age that move from a smaller league to the EPL. And he's only 18 months left on his deal, so I don't think he'd be worth more to an EPL team than he is to Rangers. But you never know I guess. I think he's more likely to sign a Bosman deal somewhere in England than command a big fee.

Edited by G51

If Rangers sell Tavernier they'll bring someone in to replace him. I think they rate Patterson, but I don't think they consider him an absolute top end talent who they can trust as a first choice at the level they want to be at, the way someone like Tierney was at Celtic, or Ferguson at Rangers years ago. His best chance is to keep plugging away as a back-up and seize any opportunities that become available.