Faroes away

FovStew

Visited the Faroes a couple of years ago, flew out of Edinburgh. It's best if you rent a car as public transport is pretty minimal outside Torshavn. The town itself is pretty, but I'm a fan of the Nordic Saga's and its a sort of bleak Shetland-esque beauty. One thing I'd definitely suggest is a trip to the floating lake Sørvágsvatn, It's about a 40 minute drive out of Torshavn and then a forty or fifty minute walk. Bit of a natural wonder.
For pubs there are some nice ones in the city, although the Irish pub is pretty meh. It'll be a lot more expensive than Moldova mind. Easily £5/$6 or more for a beer. There are some nice craft beers if you're into that sort of thing and the one brewery (Föroya Bjór) is pretty evident in the pubs. The national stadium is basically in the town, although I didn't get to see a game there (was hoping to catch a domestic game, but the league was on an international break when when I was there).
I stayed at Hotel Føroyar which was a bit basic for a four star hotel. Be prepared for it to be windy all the time in the town.

1 hour ago, FovStew said:

Due to young children my away travels are currently limited for a wee while but a few of us are considering this trip.   It’s one I haven’t done and prefer this to Moldova.  Anyone been?  What’s it like?  

@The Mantis is your man for this.

11 hours ago, welshbairn said:

@The Mantis is your man for this.

I’ve been twice, there’s a fair bit on my blog below. Also my thread HERE

I’ve got a voucher for Atlantic Air because my trip in October was cancelled. I’m not in the travel club but reckoned I could get a home ticket as I know a few people there. But looking at the prices of flights I think I’ll give it a miss. It’s about 1800 DK one way but you can go the previous week for about 800. My whole voucher is worth 1800 😂

Bear in mind Scotland have never played in Tórshavn. It's always been switched to Toftir for whatever reason. Same as the Hibs game a couple of years ago.  It's a 1 1/4 hour drive but will soon be down to 20 minutes thanks to THIS TUNNEL which even has a roundabout in it 😱

Edited by The Mantis

8 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

No-where near as bad a team as is made out. Leaving with a point would be far from the worst result for us.

Absolute shite.  They have a population smaller than Dunfermline, we could put out six teams that would horse them.  You need to be treating shite like shite, go there, be aggressive, high tempo, attacking, press high, and wipe the floor with them have it done by half time.  You can't be going to the fuckin Faroes thinking a point would be a good result.  Queens Park could get a point there.  

3 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Absolute shite.  They have a population smaller than Dunfermline, we could put out six teams that would horse them.

We should and likely will beat them but we've drawn twice before (and coincidentally didn't Dunfermline actually lose to a Faroes team in the UEFA Cup under Jim Leishman?).

12 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

No-where near as bad a team as is made out. Leaving with a point would be far from the worst result for us.

12 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Think you need a new account barry. I've not seen you get a bite in a while.

Unbelievably he still did

4 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Absolute shite.  They have a population smaller than Dunfermline, we could put out six teams that would horse them.  You need to be treating shite like shite, go there, be aggressive, high tempo, attacking, press high, and wipe the floor with them have it done by half time.  You can't be going to the fuckin Faroes thinking a point would be a good result.  Queens Park could get a point there.  

Deary me

17 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Think you need a new account barry. I've not seen you get a bite in a while.

9 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Nice work BFH.