Rangers vs Celtic - January 2nd

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

unironically going to see what odds you can get on Morelos scoring anytime, have a feeling he'll get a goal.

Not sure why tbqh, not exactly something I'm basing on an in-depth statistical analysis but

i) he doesn't seem to have had any controversy I can really think of recently so he can maybe go into the game a bit calmer, doubly so since it's not akin to prior matches when the league has been tighter or it's a cup knockout (gist maybe that thanks to the points chasm it takes a little bit of the pressure off if he does miss an early chance or something), ii) Julien is probably going to miss out with a knee injury of some sort for Celtic which increases the chances of banter boy Shane Duffy starting and iii) the January window is opening up so if he's got an eye on a move away a good performance and a goal will help him out there.

Maybe even a couple of quid on a Morelos hattrick and all if the odds are mad enough, why not.

Not sure Mark Connolly would agree with you there but I suppose, relatively speaking. More chance of Morelos getting sent off imo. 

morelos.jpg.c33d53ae4ab44c0ea744e4c0a6d7ebb9.jpg

24 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

7142c61bfca8461c4f2eda07e73c035f.png.67a21ddb1c0eab959048a56b49d28a0e.png

But, seriously, no draws please lads. Either a narrow hoops win or an absolute fucking scudding and a lenny heads gone.

Can see the 1st 20 minutes panning out like this ...

tenor (7).gif

58 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Fredo and Griffiths to both score as a double is the bet imho and I’ll then leave leave the result to itself. Any of our more worldywise let us know where we might find this please? 

15/2 on bet365.

20201231_001457.thumb.jpg.89a2d7efe507bc7db12c17b9eeeb10f4.jpg

We'll be lucky if we come away with a draw or even just a narrow defeat.

Winning this would be against all the odds and a real shocker, it's not going to happen.

Might as well stick with the team we've been using but Lennon won't do that. Brown might play just to wind up Lanarkshire's favourite Lamborghini driver.

f**k knows...[emoji1745]

I don't get this "take a draw" idea. Ok maybe if it's the 85th minute and it's even then I'd take a draw but not now.

We are at home and have won 13 league games in a row. We should be going into this game looking to turn the screw.

In terms of long-term consequences I think they are much more likely to sell their wantaway players if they lose if that means selling Edouard or Ajer in a Covid market then 👀

Edited by DMCs

I don't understand the meek 'a draw is fine' mentality here from the Rangers lads.

Celtic have won the lot and handed out quite a few humiliating beat downs whilst you were on your arse.

Now the shoe is on the other foot with a chance to end the league early, you should be demanding that they take 4 or 5 off them

1 minute ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I don't understand the meek 'a draw is fine' mentality here from the Rangers lads.

Celtic have won the lot and handed out quite a few humiliating beat downs whilst you were on your arse.

Now the shoe is on the other foot with a chance to end the league early, you should be demanding that they take 4 or 5 off them

I can only speak for myself and I said that Rangers should be aiming to win as it would almost see us over the line in my opinion, but I also said a draw wouldn’t be sniffed at.

The “shoe is on the other foot” comment is misplaced in my opinion. When Rangers were bad and getting humiliated by Celtic, we were really bad. Celtic right now are certainly not the same team they were under Rodgers for example, but they still have quality players that can hurt you.

I think we still need to be very wary of them and we haven’t looked our best going forward in recent weeks.

13 minutes ago, AJF said:

I can only speak for myself and I said that Rangers should be aiming to win as it would almost see us over the line in my opinion, but I also said a draw wouldn’t be sniffed at.

The “shoe is on the other foot” comment is misplaced in my opinion. When Rangers were bad and getting humiliated by Celtic, we were really bad. Celtic right now are certainly not the same team they were under Rodgers for example, but they still have quality players that can hurt you.

I think we still need to be very wary of them and we haven’t looked our best going forward in recent weeks.

There's some truth in this, but if not now, then when ?

Sure, they've racked up some wins against bottom 6 jobbers recently, but it's the same side that were pumped by Prague and struggled to win the cup against championship dross. Now also missing a first choice CB.

There'll never be a better chance.

11 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

There's some truth in this, but if not now, then when ?

Sure, they've racked up some wins against bottom 6 jobbers recently, but it's the same side that were pumped by Prague and struggled to win the cup against championship dross. Now also missing a first choice CB.

There'll never be a better chance.

The better chance will come when they have to sell Ajer, Edouard and Christie in the next six months and replace them with whatever jobbers Lawwell identifies.

In any case, the October game was as dominant a beating as I’ve seen. 

3 minutes ago, G51 said:

The better chance will come when they have to sell Ajer, Edouard and Christie in the next six months and replace them with whatever jobbers Lawwell identifies.

In any case, the October game was as dominant a beating as I’ve seen. 

It wasn’t really for me. We were terrible but still got done by 2 set pieces and Rangers* never got out of second gear I thought, we were absolutely there for for the taking in terms of a rout. A controlled performance but not a ruthless one like the 5-1’s we were dishing out.

As for this game I don't have high hopes for us but if Eddie and Griff start they will cause any team in Scotland huge problems. Its a shame Julien is out now though as he often turns in decent performances in big games. If we lose thats the league fucked for me tbh.

53 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I don't think it's meek.  We're in a better position than we've been yet since returning to the top division.  We don't need to go all out and win this game.  

I've been saying for a while now that purely on the basis that they've been there and done it over numerous seasons, that I'd still have Celtic favourites for the title.  We've shown a brittleness in seasons past when we have had a dip in form.  We look like we may have sorted that but it hasn't really been tested yet.  How we react to a defeat will determine where the league title goes this season.

As others have said, how Lennon sets up his team will have a huge bearing on how the game goes.  If he reverts to form and picks his mates then it could play into out hands, but if he sticks with what's been working over the last few games then that could be a differy story. 

Do I want is to beat them handsomely?  Of course.  Looking at the bigger picture, is it necessary for us to change the way we've been going about things chasing that? Absolutely not. 

A draw keeps us at arm's length from them and keeps the pressure on Celtic.  After that any more dropped points from them increases that pressure.  I said weeks ago that if we got past this game with them no closer to us than we were at the start of December (or whenever it was) that I'd be delighted.  I stand by that. 

57 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

With my blue tinted specs on you’re right. Their goalkeepers are woeful, Julien is out, Brown is past it, Edouard isn’t interested, Frimpong is a lightweight and Griffiths is their biggest goal threat. 

However, it is by far the biggest banana skin between here and the title. A shitfest draw, maintain the gap and move on is a perfectly acceptable outcome from a potential 6-pointer. I can’t see us doing a post-Dubai collapse again but there’s bound to be slips ups along the way. As long as we lose fewer games than them, we’ll be fine.