Cancel the season?

Just now, jimbaxters said:

Another rant. There have been loads. This one is just a casing point case in point.

However, point taken. Sorry to upset you.

Jimbaxters, honestly, you haven't upset me.
Don't you realize why I reply to you

it makes a fool of you every time, seriously>
Are people laughing or sniggering at me or you,  I wonder  lololololol

On 11/03/2021 at 10:58, Marten said:

As a comparison, in The Netherlands the leagues have now been scrapped and non-league clubs (comparable to WOS standard) are aiming for local tournaments to give players game time again when the government gives the go ahead.

I don't think we can compare any country the now to Scotland as each country is at different stages of Covid/lockdowns and even their equivalent leagues might not be run the same way as ours.  Suppose it doesn't matter what any of us say, the government will decide when we come back and with that, once informed the leagues will decide after

10 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Read it already

It isn't the 4th of April yet, is it, so the season could still start back in the WOSFL, and if so then the point I put could still officially happen if they decided to go down that route but is my idea a valid one that could work, I think it could

Work it out, why haven't the Lowland League not issued similar, I know for a fact they haven't
I am unsure if the EOSFL added anything similar to the WOSFL statement

Going by the statements from various managers the the only way leagues below the Championship will start up again is if there is testing being carried out on a weekly basis. Clubs at WOSFL can no way afford this talk of £1000 per week.

Edited by Lobby Dossar

The WoSFL have at least signalled the intentions of the Board.

at least ‘‘tis direction allows the various Club Committees to work from a basis. 

It’s got to be said - some clubs made a smart decision at the start of the season and didn’t take part.

if things restart; it could become a bigger nightmare for club finances - players & managements wages, expenses, dues and fees will then have to be paid.

All for what??? A very hollow league played under conditions only wartime could compare. 

2 hours ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Going by the statements from various managers the the only way leagues below the Championship will start up again is if there is testing being carried out on a weekly basis. Clubs at WOSFL can no way afford this talk of £1000 per week.

I may be mistaken but the Championship, Divs 1 and 2 clubs have been given cash/compensation already so that they can afford to carry out even the more expensive PCR tests through until the end of the current season. 

The problem lies with the SG's insistence that testing should use expensive PCR tests. This is strange because it doesn't sit well with the science. Not only is it prohibitively expensive at Tier 5 and below, if clubs had to purchase it and administer it, but, by the time it takes for results to come back from the Laboratory it only tells you that you have had the disease.

As I  understand it, reading not just on P&B, it is the LFR test which tells you if you have the virus and are at a most infectious stage of the disease i.e. at increased risk of spreading the disease at the time of the test. It also gives results in 30 minutes and so can be done on the day of a match. The PCR test has to be sent away to a laboratory before results are known. 

Check out the details below which the SG is supposed to be aware of - but I sometimes  frequently wonder what planet it's on when it comes to the ability to read plain English and to understand it and its' practical implications.

Types and uses of coronavirus (COVID-19) tests - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Guidance for the general public on the different types of coronavirus (COVID-19) testing available, including which types of test you should use and when, and what you should do when you receive a test result.

Test to check if you have coronavirus now

Taking a test usually involves taking a sample from the tonsils (or where they would’ve been) and from the nose, using a swab.

Types of test

There are 2 main types of test to check if you have coronavirus now:

• polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests check for the genetic material (RNA) of the virus in the sample. You send the sample for processing at a lab
  • lateral flow device (LFD) tests detect proteins called ‘antigens’ produced by the virus. They give rapid results, in 30 minutes after taking the test

59 minutes ago, Dev said:

I may be mistaken but the Championship, Divs 1 and 2 clubs have been given cash/compensation already so that they can afford to carry out even the more expensive PCR tests through until the end of the current season. 

The problem lies with the SG's insistence that testing should use expensive PCR tests. This is strange because it doesn't sit well with the science. Not only is it prohibitively expensive at Tier 5 and below, if clubs had to purchase it and administer it, but, by the time it takes for results to come back from the Laboratory it only tells you that you have had the disease.

As I  understand it, reading not just on P&B, it is the LFR test which tells you if you have the virus and are at a most infectious stage of the disease i.e. at increased risk of spreading the disease at the time of the test. It also gives results in 30 minutes and so can be done on the day of a match. The PCR test has to be sent away to a laboratory before results are known. 

Check out the details below which the SG is supposed to be aware of - but I sometimes  frequently wonder what planet it's on when it comes to the ability to read plain English and to understand it and its' practical implications.

Guidance for the general public on the different types of coronavirus (COVID-19) testing available, including which types of test you should use and when, and what you should do when you receive a test result.

Taking a test usually involves taking a sample from the tonsils (or where they would’ve been) and from the nose, using a swab.

Types of test

• polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests check for the genetic material (RNA) of the virus in the sample. You send the sample for processing at a lab
  • lateral flow device (LFD) tests detect proteins called ‘antigens’ produced by the virus. They give rapid results, in 30 minutes after taking the test

A positive LFT still needs a confirmatory PCR, at least in Scotland. False positives aren't the problem though, it's false negatives.

LFTs have relatively poor sensitivity in general, around 75% in average use (higher with a higher viral load, but then these people are more likely to be symptomatic), but even less when they're not done by trained staff, 55-60% in some studies like the Liverpool one.

With such a high false negative rate, a negative test shouldn't really be used to exclude Covid. They might be useful for general community screening, but the evidence for their roll out is not great, even if for example us frontline NHS staff are using them twice weekly.

We don't have a rapid turn-around test that is accurate enough to exclude Covid.

Edited by Cyclizine

1 hour ago, Dev said:

Here we go again...........

1 hour ago, Dev said:

Types of test

Are you just thick or what … … it does not matter what you think should or shouldn’t happen the clubs have been told as has been stated publicly by more than 1 manager that testing is going to be required before clubs can start playing again. Wether you like it or not that is the clubs are being told by the scientists who advise the Government that make the rules. 

Last week the clubs were told they needed to be testing to even restart training. Then on Tuesday the First Minister changed that.

There are still 3 weeks till 3rd April, a lot can change. We'll wait and see what happens, that's the line in the sand.

4 hours ago, Lobby Dossar said:

As I suppose it would require all teams in each division to have Covid tests every week but get the impression that most teams cant afford that below the SPFL 2 without help from the SFA. Sorry if I'm wrong.
I do think the season will end up being null and void but we just need to wait until the calculated dates to arrive to see  if football is back training and playing games again.

As glenmad wrote, First minister has changed football and covid testing rules at lower football again so you never know

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

3 hours ago, Malty Guy said:

The WoSFL have at least signalled the intentions of the Board.

at least ‘‘tis direction allows the various Club Committees to work from a basis. 

It’s got to be said - some clubs made a smart decision at the start of the season and didn’t take part.

if things restart; it could become a bigger nightmare for club finances - players & managements wages, expenses, dues and fees will then have to be paid.

All for what??? A very hollow league played under conditions only wartime could compare. 

As far as I'm aware after chatting to a lot of managers and committee people of clubs, I've not heard anyone regret continuing playing this season, most say its been an excellent and worthwhile season so far, until lockdown started.  Suppose only teams who would say that are teams who have been pumped a lot and languishing at the bottom of their respective leagues. I thought the standard of play was good , especially in the WOSFL premier division and kept fans interested in how their team is progressing.

15 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Last week the clubs were told they needed to be testing to even restart training. Then on Tuesday the First Minister changed that.

There are still 3 weeks till 3rd April, a lot can change. We'll wait and see what happens, that's the line in the sand.

Was not aware of that …… what are the new rules with regard training?? and how many teams have restarted ??

Cannot see league 1 and 2 clubs being happy if there are different rules for them and the teams in the pyramid below them. Heard the managers of Cowdenbeath and Forfar being interviewed on the radio yesterday and the testing regime and number of games that had to be played was a real problem for them. 

There is simply No Training!!

if 15 ‘friends’ want to participate in socially distanced exercise then that’s permissible.  

On the other hand - travel to this non contact socially distanced exercise is another can o worms 

5 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Teams are allowed to train in groups of 15 maximum without any requirement for testing.

Due to the travel restrictions, though, it is unknown how many teams are actually training.

Not many I believe as quite a few teams have a mix of players in different council authorities who are not allowed to travel into a different council area unless the SFA ruling that allowed LL, EOSFL,  SOSFL, WOSFL players to travel to football training and games is still relevant

The LF tests are garbage. My wife was feeling ill last week and took one of those which came up negative. She got a bit worse and then I felt rubbish. We both went for the swab test last Wednesday which came back positive. We still had one LF test at home so I took it on Friday and it showed negative. Not sure if there are different types but these ones are pointless.

On the point that there may still be a chance for matches to restart, what if the SG give the go ahead? Do the clubs who were taking part HAVE to restart or do they have they option to can it? Can see plenty of them having no appetite to cram all those games in, especially in the lower leagues.

3 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

The LF tests are garbage. My wife was feeling ill last week and took one of those which came up negative. She got a bit worse and then I felt rubbish. We both went for the swab test last Wednesday which came back positive. We still had one LF test at home so I took it on Friday and it showed negative. Not sure if there are different types but these ones are pointless.

On the point that there may still be a chance for matches to restart, what if the SG give the go ahead? Do the clubs who were taking part HAVE to restart or do they have they option to can it? Can see plenty of them having no appetite to cram all those games in, especially in the lower leagues.

believe there are different types of tests, had one that result was there within half an hour and had another months ago that took 24 hours.

If the league restarts all teams MUST continue, if not then there will be penalized, not sure what those will be.  Not sure if a EGM coudl be called to have all clubs vote on it, anyone know ?

1 minute ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

believe there are different types of tests, had one that result was there within half an hour and had another months ago that took 24 hours.

If the league restarts all teams MUST continue, if not then there will be penalized, not sure what those will be.  Not sure if a EGM coudl be called to have all clubs vote on it, anyone know ?

Presumably those to be used at football would be the 30 mins ones. Worthless.

Be amazed if penalties were imposed after the enforced lay off. Glensmad, what's the story pal?