St Mirren vs Motherwell

Would rather have Motherwell go into this without appointing a manager, but maybe this actually benefits us in some ways. He'll definitely not be keen to suffer a debut defeat so I can't see him throwing caution to the wind. A couple of days on the training field isn't enough to get a feel of a team, especially one that's clearly not performing on the park.

I think we'll be okay, I'm led to believe the delay in announcing Alexander was his refusal to sign until he'd personally witnessed Aaron Chapman get on the train, and the train leaving.

I wouldn’t be surprised if St Mirren don’t submit a number of Covid sick notes to get the game off so they are not the first victims of the onslaught.  I’m certainly not paying for my ticket again before 2pm.

I suspect that St Mirren may well benefit to the tune of a few extra PPV £’s this weekend. 

I will now be paying the reasonable sum of £12.50 to witness the regeneration of a footballing powerhouse*

* Reserve the right to edit at 16:50 on Saturday. 

9 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

We spent 2020 roundly scudding Motherwell in any competition they tried to take us on. We even dangled a 3-0 win in front of their faces and whipped it away from them in their hour of need. 

St Mirren win.

So last year

Pretty sure Ian Baracloughs first game in charge of Motherwell was at St Mirren Park and despite taking a bit of a battering in the game Motherwell somehow walked away with a one nil win through a John Sutton goal. Kenny McLean had a header off the underside of the bar come down and go about 3 yards over the line only for the linesman and referee to not bother their arse awarding the goal. 

We fell off a cliff after this and went on to be relegated without much of a fight. 

1 hour ago, Saint Shug said:

Pretty sure Ian Baracloughs first game in charge of Motherwell was at St Mirren Park and despite taking a bit of a battering in the game Motherwell somehow walked away with a one nil win through a John Sutton goal. Kenny McLean had a header off the underside of the bar come down and go about 3 yards over the line only for the linesman and referee to not bother their arse awarding the goal. 

We fell off a cliff after this and went on to be relegated without much of a fight. 

So Motherwell’s new manager broke St Mirren?

9 minutes ago, Saint Shug said:

Nah our board selling our only decent player on the last day of the transfer window is what broke St Mirren that year. 

And appointing Tommy Craig, and failing to sack Tommy Craig quickly enough, and then dicking around with replacing him.

But the Kenny McLean 'sale' was definitely the straw that broke the camel's back.

I know Alan Stubbs was nearly a Tommy Craig moment, but thank goodness we acted decisively. Vast difference how we're run now vs then.

2 hours ago, Saint Shug said:

Nah our board selling our only decent player on the last day of the transfer window is what broke St Mirren that year. 

f**k I forgot about that. What an absolute smasher of a deal that was for us. Between that and Steven Thompson javelin-ing John McGinn, what a season.

12 hours ago, Ric said:

Would rather have Motherwell go into this without appointing a manager, but maybe this actually benefits us in some ways. He'll definitely not be keen to suffer a debut defeat so I can't see him throwing caution to the wind. A couple of days on the training field isn't enough to get a feel of a team, especially one that's clearly not performing on the park.

This would probably be better addressed to Well fans but will Alexander actually be in charge on Saturday?

25 minutes ago, btb said:

This would probably be better addressed to Well fans but will Alexander actually be in charge on Saturday?

It's a fair question. The classic "watching from the stand" is less of an excuse if you wish to distance yourself from your first team's loss when you will pretty much be the only person in that stand.

26 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Our game after is V the hu ns so he's on to a loser regardless. 

I don't think anyone expects a result there, even a high flying Motherwell would do well (ha!) to take points at a Rangers side that seems to really have the bit between it's teeth. Mind you, losing here and you taking points of the Ibrox lot would indeed be quite fun (for me, at least).