St Mirren vs Motherwell

Decent first half for us - but not getting over excited based on the team's talent for blowing it this season...

I can’t remember the exact number but when Stephen Robinson talked about how often the team that scores first usually wins, something like 80%, I think we make up the other 20%.

To be fair to Erwin he has not had much service.

McGrath, Connolly, McAllister have not been on it at all. Doyle-Hayes has not been able to dictate the game because of Motherwell's high press.

We need to work out a way to get in about Motherwell because they do look vulnerable when we have managed to get into attacking areas.

We weren't great, there. Created no real chances in the box and restricted to long range efforts. Alnwick has looked dodgier than he's looked all season.
O'Hara being livid for being booked for his second stonewall booking was some laugh, though.

Don’t really agree with the Alnwick point. That was some save he made from Watt. Motherwell’s delivery from corners has been excellent, really difficult crosses to handle.

Fair score at HT.

Given Kelly took 70 seconds to take the two goal kicks just before HT though shows that Well’s confidence is fragile.

If (IF) Saints can get the next goal I think we’ll win it.

But aside from 3 shots dragged past the post we’ve not really threatened much.

Defo better team ahead at half time. f**k knows how we dig it out from here. We are so fragile from crosses all of a sudden as well, was the same last week. If Motherwell go for it here, and get 2-0 up, it's game over. If they decide to sit in and let us have the ball we may get off the hook.

We are definitely going to need a second goal if we want the three points. Not got much confidence in us keeping a clean sheet although Gallagher and Mugabi have played well so far.

1-0 probably feels about right based on the first half.

Very disappointing performance so far. McAllister has done his usual anonymous performance after a few promising ones off the bench, seems to be a pattern now. Feel like I say this every week now but we’re got no presence in the middle of park, Erhahon definitely needs a test and Doyle-Hayes needs to get up the park.

I will be gutted if Obika goes and Erwin stays but either way, surely Dennis should have got a chance to start today ahead of Erwin?

1 minute ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

Very disappointing performance so far. McAllister has done his usual anonymous performance after a few promising ones off the bench, seems to be a pattern now. Feel like I say this every week now but we’re got no presence in the middle of park, Erhahon definitely needs a test and Doyle-Hayes needs to get up the park.

I will be gutted if Obika goes and Erwin stays but either way, surely Dennis should have got a chance to start today ahead of Erwin?

Dennis isn't even on the bench. Apparently he and Obika are injured.

Dennis has a knock I think, he’s not in the squad.

A lone striker that doesn’t have the ability to hold in a ball that comes to him above waist height is as good as a man down. It’s probably the most important skill a lone striker needs to be effective. Look at how a guy like Dykes puts himself about, takes balls into his chest and plays with his back to goal allowing players to get up and support.

Compare that to Erwin who gets a ball into his chest and ends up playing a through ball for the motherwell forwards.