Scottish lower league football locked down for 3 weeks

16 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I wonder if the clubs affected may try and propose some kind of reconstruction if this ‘no promotion or relegation from L1 down’ scenario does end up happening.

Expand to 12-12-10-10 with no relegations and two up from L1, L2 and the HL/LL winners.

I think that is not too bad, no relegation for anyone and teams from HL/ LL rightfully added after being denied the chance last season.

We need to stop using reconstruction as some sort bargaining tool IMO. Reconstruction should be a carefully planned thing for the good of the game, not railroaded through in a few months because clubs don't fancy being relegated. It should also include better financial distribution across the board. 

I'll be very disappointed if Championship clubs do what's being suggested. I know every club looks out for themselves but I don't really see the justification for refusing promotion and is opportunistic in the extreme.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

We need to stop using reconstruction as some sort bargaining tool IMO. Reconstruction should be a carefully planned thing for the good of the game, not railroaded through in a few months because clubs don't fancy being relegated.

But that's why we've always done it.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf in England they class League Two as the "lowest professional division", with the National League (Conference) classed as a Semi-Pro division as the majority of clubs in it are almost always part time.

Not that it changes your point but most National League clubs are full time now I think. Part time will be prevalent in the North and South divisions.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

We need to stop using reconstruction as some sort bargaining tool IMO. Reconstruction should be a carefully planned thing for the good of the game, not railroaded through in a few months because clubs don't fancy being relegated. It should also include better financial distribution across the board. 

I'll be very disappointed if Championship clubs do what's being suggested. I know every club looks out for themselves but I don't really see the justification for refusing promotion and is opportunistic in the extreme.

“Opportunistic” is charging some away fans more than others for away ends, decreasing away end allocations ala Celtic and Rangers a couple of seasons ago, appealing someone’s red card so he could play a more important game (when that was a thing) 

Deiciding “nah we don’t fancy the possibility of being relegated this season” is corruption that laughs at and says a big f**k you to the integrity of the entire competition and sport.

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Totally, it was the same last summer. The only way that reconstruction would/should be the solution is if the current problem was caused by the current league structure. We'd have the same issues at the moment regardless of what structure we had, the current issue was caused by a pandemic and a lack of contingency planning, therefore I have no idea why people think re-arranging the deck chairs is particularly helpful to the game as a whole at this moment.

As you say, reconstruction may be something worthwhile, but it needs to be properly thought out, and be a planned for at least a year in the future to avoid (or reduce) clubs voting out of short term self interest.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Promotion from Champ to Prem would still go ahead they're saying. No one would be relegated to League 1, nor would the champions of this division go up.

I'm not sure what the justification would be, I imagine some "sporting integrity" about teams playing the same number of games will be pushed by Mike Mulraney as he tries to snake his Alloa team into next seasons Championship. 

I suspect that The Sun (surprise) is exaggerating and what Championship clubs will oppose are play-offs being held if League One is delayed in fulfilling its fixtures. If this league is not wrapped up on time or with a minimal delay then those play-offs quite rightly shouldn't be happening. 

Edited by vikingTON

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

I suspect that The Sun (surprise) is exaggerating and what Championship clubs will oppose play-offs being held if League One is delayed in fulfilling its fixtures. If this league is not wrapped up on time or with a minimal delay then those play-offs quite rightly shouldn't be happening. 

That I could understand. If we're allowed to shorten the season to 18 games though I believe we can get it done on time, if we're allowed to start in March. 

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

I suspect that The Sun (surprise) is exaggerating and what Championship clubs will oppose play-offs being held if League One is delayed in fulfilling its fixtures. If this league is not wrapped up on time or with a minimal delay then those play-offs quite rightly shouldn't be happening. 

You’re probably right and I don’t disagree.

My understanding from the article was champ clubs wanted zero relegation even if league 1/2 achieved an 18 game season. It’s a total rag though and the writer of the article probably doesn’t even understand the nuanced details about playoff places etc.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

This. On both counts.

I'm not sure on the face of it what possible argument there could be to reject promotion or relegation just because the league below played a shorter season. I can see the argument that if League One isn't ready for the playoffs on scheduled date then the Championship shouldn't have to wait about but not the other.

Is the argument that the league below would be less "jaded"? I don't think it stands up to be honest.

McInally saying the season should be scrapped 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56010053

"I don't think they can keep dragging this out, because players need to know what they will be doing. There are mental health issues at stake here.

"For me, they need to put it to bed. Next season, we need to make sure financially we're okay.

"We were prepared to test, but that is just a waste of money for part-time clubs whose players then go to work."

"I don't want to finish it with 18 games, that's not enough for a season," McInally added.

"Selfishly, I would love to keep playing because I'm really missing it, but I just think League 1 and 2 clubs have been unfairly treated.

"All football should have been shut down. When it wasn't, it become discriminatory against the lower leagues."

23 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Not sure why the season definitely being scrapped and there being no games until July is any better for players’ mental health than the current situation.

"I don't think they can keep dragging this out, because players need to know what they will be doing. There are mental health issues at stake here.

"For me, they need to put it to bed. Next season, we need to make sure financially we're okay.

"We were prepared to test, but that is just a waste of money for part-time clubs whose players then go to work."

"I don't want to finish it with 18 games, that's not enough for a season," McInally added.

"Selfishly, I would love to keep playing because I'm really missing it, but I just think League 1 and 2 clubs have been unfairly treated.

"All football should have been shut down. When it wasn't, it become discriminatory against the lower leagues."

It couldn’t possibly be anything to do with the fact Peterhead are only 4 points off second bottom having played three games more than Clyde in ninth.
Or could it?......
Self interested shitebag.

4 hours ago, Pride Of The Clyde said:

I think that is not too bad, no relegation for anyone and teams from HL/ LL rightfully added after being denied the chance last season.

Loosely translated as, Clyde are ninth and in danger of relegation so let’s scrap it to save our arses....

7 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

It couldn’t possibly be anything to do with the fact Peterhead are only 4 points off second bottom having played three games more than Clyde in ninth.
Or could it?......
Self interested shitebag.

I haven't been paying attention to your table, but when I seen what McInally said, my instant first thought was "they must be in a relegation battle then".

Very transparent bullshit.