P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

21 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Madwullie Cup

Currently there are four outstanding ties in the Madwullie Cup

These are:

mackieboz vs Purplekangaroo89

Dandies1983 vs Strachanovski

invergowrie vs DearyMe

AlbinoRov vs pleslie999 (Replay, after the first tie was drawn).

My tie with @Albino Rover is going to the wire, theres a good chance it could be drawn again. Whats the outcome if its drawn for a 2nd time? 

23 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

In the absence of a 'go to penalties' mechanism, the obvious technique is to do the old school cup thing of yet another replay.

I assumed that may be the case but wanted to check. It may well not go to another replay but its tightly poised just now. 1 mistake could end it for either of us.

Madwullie Cup
Dearyme beats Invergowrie by resignation with Mate in 8
What a state to get myself in. Nearly resigned after move 11 only a pawn down as nowhere to go. 
Messed it up after move 1 when I realised where my castled king was going to end up 
As usual [mention=28013]Trogdor[/mention] punishes any mistake. Well played 

I hadn't realised he was still playing thus season, albeit in the Cup.

Toughest player I've played - you really need to be at the top of your game or he'll jump on the slightest error. My ultra-defensive style did help in our matches.

If he had entered the league again it would have been 3 in a row - and that would have been no mean achievement considering the quality of some of the players in the top division.

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

@Bigmouth Strikes Again - you intend to play out your cup game?

Yeah, is it you Im playing, have you issued a challenge? Just playing one game at a time just now, but will fire up the cup tie as there's a bit of a backlog now.

Cheers.

19 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Yeah, is it you Im playing, have you issued a challenge? Just playing one game at a time just now, but will fire up the cup tie as there's a bit of a backlog now.

Cheers.

You're playing Dandies1983, as per the comment I replied to. He's white, you're black.

Division B Results

@mathematics beats Invergowrie by resignation - mate in 2 - dead pleased with myself going a queen up and knight sacrifice to take a rook. Then it all went downhill and my opponent was never in danger.

Invergowrie beats @N5 Spur by checkmate. Managed to chase my opponents queen around the board hindering developments for him and eventually getting him into too tight a jam.

Well played both

15 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Division B Results

Invergowrie beats @N5 Spur by checkmate. Managed to chase my opponents queen around the board hindering developments for him and eventually getting him into too tight a jam.

Well played both

I feel like I should put out an assault charge - you gave my queen (and the rest) a runaround. 

Nicely played.

BasedGoDSa1NT beats RBWatson by resignation.

A think I opened quite strongly and felt I was in control. A nice move to snag your queen.

However when the resignation came I was scratching my head, I was not convinced you weren't going to get me in checkmate or take a few pieces as I had no clue what I was doing.

Regardless though, thank you for the game and all the best for the remaining games.

2 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Should be rapid play.

That would involve telling people they have to be playing at one or other specific time. It would be a nighmare to set up the rules in a completley fair way to handle players in alternate timezones or on nightshifts or whatever. Even just tightening up the time controls is messy - anything faster than one move per day, and you're starting to interfere with people's real lives, potentially forcing them to interrupt their workday or get up in the middle of the night.

28 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

That would involve telling people they have to be playing at one or other specific time. It would be a nighmare to set up the rules in a completley fair way to handle players in alternate timezones or on nightshifts or whatever. Even just tightening up the time controls is messy - anything faster than one move per day, and you're starting to interfere with people's real lives, potentially forcing them to interrupt their workday or get up in the middle of the night.

Thank God for that! (Counting no chickens - this replay is going the distance)

Lost to Spur in DIv B.

I’m resigning from the rest of the season, so free points against whoever I’m matched against. My head isn’t in it at the moment.

I’ll be back for Div C when the new season begins.

Good games to all my opponents.

Division B

N5 Spur defeats XCTR94 / @SweeperDee by checkmate.

I was a piece up early and I felt comfortable but my opponent almost trapped me with a Queen and Castle counter in the end game. Luckily for me, I had enough to take his Queen and end the game.

Apologies for not answering your in game messages - for some reason I wasn't receiving notifications - hope I didn't come across as an ignorant arse.

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Should be rapid play.

Tbf, we are motoring through, plenty moves per day. Just very tight and advantage swinging both ways. I'm currently not in a great position but up a Knight for 2 pawns so it's all to play for. Considering we're deep into game number 2 and there are still some outstanding ties we're doing ok I think.

The answer is chessboxing.

Three minutes of chess followed by a three minute bout of boxing. Continue alternating until with the first player to get a checkmate or a knockout is declared the winner. BBC Alba to broadcast it live.

Alternatively a draw in the third match sees black progress. This also has the effect of partly reducing the advantage of being drawn as white.