P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Another result for Division C - markf268 beats Dandies1983 by checkmate.

Definitely the best I've played any of the games in the P&B league - no mistakes, no blunders so very little chance to be pulled back once ahead.

I think that's 3 wins out of 3 against@Frank Grimes - he'll be sick of me by now

League A round 2

GordonEF beats gkneil by resignation

Really nice attacking game this one. It opened up really quickly and a couple of mistakes by @gkneil put me put me in a reasonable lead and instead of trying to claw back the piece deficit he went for the jugular and tried to get a checkmate. I think you were only one mistake on my part away from getting it a couple of times too. I was crapping my pants for a bit on move 23 when I saw that most of the first moves I considered lead to mate and it took me a while to see that I could bring my Queen back to the 7th rank to cover.

11 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

League A round 2

GordonEF beats gkneil by resignation

Really nice attacking game this one. It opened up really quickly and a couple of mistakes by @gkneil put me put me in a reasonable lead and instead of trying to claw back the piece deficit he went for the jugular and tried to get a checkmate. I think you were only one mistake on my part away from getting it a couple of times too. I was crapping my pants for a bit on move 23 when I saw that most of the first moves I considered lead to mate and it took me a while to see that I could bring my Queen back to the 7th rank to cover.

Aye, was an enjoyable game. I can't believe I missed the en passant opportunity on move 16. And yes, I decided to go all out to see if I could force a mistake through checking your King. But you didn't put a foot wrong

13 minutes ago, gkneil said:

Aye, was an enjoyable game. I can't believe I missed the en passant opportunity on move 16. And yes, I decided to go all out to see if I could force a mistake through checking your King. But you didn't put a foot wrong

Yeah, I totally missed that en passant chance as well, wasn't thinking about it. I only saw that when I watched the analysis back. Wee let off there for me.

25 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

That's a win for GCarlos9 and a loss for Cardinal Richelieu (same match). 

I thought you were going to persevere to the end.  Good game.

Anyone been watching the Meltwater Champions Chess tour? Don't think there's enough interest for a thread on watching chess as a sport/game so been reverting to Reddit to keep up with the action.

Even installed the Twitch app to watch the coverage on my firestick.

Surprisingly professional coverage!

44 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

There's a particularly wild game going on in Division A. It's not mine, madwullie and ChessBassGuitar are properly duking it out.

I only stumbled on it as I'm also playing ChessBassGuitar as well.

Its a bit mental. 

I think i'm slightly better, but I'm going to get mated if I make even a tiny slip. Its good to force myself to do some brain work for once instead of just blitzing out the moves in a five minute game but Iits making every move a slog... 

6 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

Its a bit mental. 

I think i'm slightly better, but I'm going to get mated if I make even a tiny slip. Its good to force myself to do some brain work for once instead of just blitzing out the moves in a five minute game but Iits making every move a slog... 

Like beef2711 said to me in our last game, noone takes any pieces any more. It makes for really messy fucked up nerve-wracking games. 

14 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Like beef2711 said to me in our last game, noone takes any pieces any more. It makes for really messy fucked up nerve-wracking games. 

I've been watching a lot of educational chess videos in the last few months, mainly from Daniel Naroditsky and Andras Toth, (both of whom are excellent teachers btw - particularly Danye who has probably gained me several hundred elo). 

One of the interesting concepts they've talked about at a few points is the tendency of intermediate-ish players to be almost allergic to tension on the board and insisting on resolving it, even to their detriment. 

My biggest weakness is strategic planning in the middlegame, I tend to get developed OK and then struggle to work out what to do next, which is why DearyMe is about to push me off the board again.

In our current game, I was about to have to spend a lot of time planning a long term strategy when you played f5, it forced me to look at things I probably wouldn't have found otherwise and it's turned into a really interesting position. 

Edited by Uncle Psychosis

26 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I took pieces against Beef but it didn’t work out too well for me 😂

54 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Anyone been watching the Meltwater Champions Chess tour? Don't think there's enough interest for a thread on watching chess as a sport/game so been reverting to Reddit to keep up with the action.

Even installed the Twitch app to watch the coverage on my firestick.

Surprisingly professional coverage!

I've not been.

I usually watch chess on Chess24, I enjoy the commentary of Jan Gustafsson and Peter Svidler. Particularly Svidler, for such a strong player he's very good at explaining things to us amateurs and keeping you immersed in it.

You do occasionally end up with Lawrence Trent which can be hit or miss tbf.

7 minutes ago, Loki said:

I took pieces against Beef but it didn’t work out too well for me 😂

Nor me, I have to be careful not to play an opening he knows better than me next time. I got a proper ragdolling and I didn't like it! 

4 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Nor me, I have to be careful not to play an opening he knows better than me next time. I got a proper ragdolling and I didn't like it! 

Our first match he ragdolled me and in the second he just watched me slowly bleed to death as he continually paper cut me 1000 times.

If anyone is looking for some decent videos to watch to improve their game, Grandmaster Ben Finegold uploads his lectures and he's very good at breaking things down. His patter is a bit iffy, but he's very informative.

Naroditsky is also a good watch. Doesn't have shite patter but a bit dull.

Nakamura is best for entertainment value. Not a lot of educational value and he seems to be an arse of a human being but he usually has the drama. He's the easy watching, trash TV of the chess world.