P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

22 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Week 1, Division B

Dandies1983 (W) beat arab_joe (b)

Joe had a good start and I blundered a Bishop early on but after he castled his King I managed to position my Knight & Queen into a fairly inevitable checkmate 

GG Joe 

Well played, @Frank Grimes - my castling was the chess equivalent of a Mark Kerr backpass - a fatal absolutely schoolboy error.  But it was a most enjoyable battle, first chess match since my primary school chess club in 1997 so just pleased I wasn't out in 5 moves.

18 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Fucked it again. Good win for arabjoe.

Thanks for the game @NotThePars.  

Are we meant to do re-matches straight away this week??

44 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

Well played, @Frank Grimes - my castling was the chess equivalent of a Mark Kerr backpass - a fatal absolutely schoolboy error.  But it was a most enjoyable battle, first chess match since my primary school chess club in 1997 so just pleased I wasn't out in 5 moves.

Thanks for the game @NotThePars.  

Are we meant to do re-matches straight away this week??

No I’ll publish a new set of fixtures this Friday bud 

Everyone will play each other B&W by the end of the season 

Division C week 1, beefy2711 aka @Henderson to deliver ..... beats GordonS496. I was doing alright, built up a two pawn advantage that I turned into a pawn and piece advantage, but I got impatient and punchy this morning and screwed it up. Reasonably pleased with my first game against an adult in decades, just a little frustrated not to see it over the line or at least force a draw.

Screenshot 2021-02-01 at 12.23.10.png

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Gparsfan beats Mackieboz by check mate.

I'm so fucking stupid for not seeing it, probably felt really simple in the end as I had my eye on your rook. 

You done incredibly well after losing your queen, I would've capitulated something awful. 

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Division C week 1, beefy2711 aka @Henderson to deliver ..... beats GordonS496. I was doing alright, built up a two pawn advantage that I turned into a pawn and piece advantage, but I got impatient and punchy this morning and screwed it up. Reasonably pleased with my first game against an adult in decades, just a little frustrated not to see it over the line or at least force a draw.

Screenshot 2021-02-01 at 12.23.10.png

Ah, I didn't give Henderson any credit there, oops. He made me work my arse off and then was all over me as soon as he got a sniff. He totally outplayed me on the end game when we had three pawns facing each other and a knight each.

6 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Ah, I didn't give Henderson any credit there, oops. He made me work my arse off and then was all over me as soon as he got a sniff. He totally outplayed me on the end game when we had three pawns facing each other and a knight each.

Just glad I played you before you get up to speed. I've been playing the bots quite a bit and it's improved my end game considerably. The king was key in our game, mine was in the thick of it, whilst yours was stranded on the other side of the board.

2 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Just glad I played you before you get up to speed. I've been playing the bots quite a bit and it's improved my end game considerably. The king was key in our game, mine was in the thick of it, whilst yours was stranded on the other side of the board.

I was keeping it with the three pawns to help usher them up the board - you used yours to pin down my furthest-forward pawn, which tied up my bishop, and when I did bring my king in I walked it across the front of my bishop like an utter numpty. My plan had been to use that pawn to force you to give up the knight, but your king prevented that. A couple of moves later I surrendered the bishop on a fork, I just didn't take enough time to look before moving. I was surprised when you offered to trade Queens when I thought I was in a stronger position, I thought I might win after that but you had too much for me. 

42 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I was keeping it with the three pawns to help usher them up the board - you used yours to pin down my furthest-forward pawn, which tied up my bishop, and when I did bring my king in I walked it across the front of my bishop like an utter numpty. My plan had been to use that pawn to force you to give up the knight, but your king prevented that. A couple of moves later I surrendered the bishop on a fork, I just didn't take enough time to look before moving. I was surprised when you offered to trade Queens when I thought I was in a stronger position, I thought I might win after that but you had too much for me. 

At that point I was still playing Invergowrie and playing quite a fast and loose game with him and it spilled over into our game

43 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I've been playing a few games against randoms. I am woeful. I get fixated on things that are too specific and leaves myself wide open elsewhere. Need all the practice.

Remember. Two banks of four then start to allow your creative players get involved. After a bit of pass and move, get the big boys up top in the game and as a cohesive unit you'll score the goal to win the game.

I think that analogy can work in chess!! 😄

13 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I should have given up about 2 days ago, but @DiegoDiego gets a deserved victory.

The problem is that when nobody has an accurate rating yet you're never sure if they might just blunder a piece in the endgame, it's so easily done, especially online. I probably would have held out for a good few moves after internally resigning out of hope. There is a huge amount at stake, of course!

A bishop for rook exchange (which analysis shows I almost blew) which also took the queens off the board was the only real action to be honest. After that it was just trading off pieces until it was my rook and some pawns for the Cardinal's knight and some pawns. Quite pleased that I learnt my lessons from the defeat against Ludo.

How shite is that chat function though? It's the only feature on the entire site that doesn't hit you with notifications.

In somewhat related news, I've started watching Anna Rudolf on Twitch (twitch.tv/anna_chess), she's a very good teacher indeed and I learnt a fair bit. Recommended. I dedicate my victory to her.