P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

5 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Division B, Round 17 - Arab_joe wins by checkmate over hammysgetinpumpd / @101.  Good game - I had a solid start and managed to isolate one of his bishops; then wobbled and he grabbed one of my knights for free; but I had enough to get the win in the end. 

Hopefully getting close to safety from relegation (especially as I am circling the drain in my other game...). 

That is indeed you safe from relegation. You can't be overtaken by Dandies1983, NotThePars, or flamingalah01.

On 26/03/2021 at 12:12, Frank Grimes said:

Round 18

Arabjoe v Bri1962

Division B, Round 18 - @keptie defeats arab_joe.  One stupid mistake (in my defence I was on a Zoom call at the time) saw me lose my Queen early on and I had absolutely no way back.  Lesson learned!  

On 27/03/2021 at 13:31, DeeTillEhDeh said:

That would make sense.

And if someone does not want to get promoted they could choose not to go up.

Anyone that declines promotion should be treated like the diddy juniors should and be hit with a hefty points deduction or punted from the leagues for being cowards.

[mention=72581]Frank Grimes[/mention] apologies if you've explained this earlier in the thread, but what's the plan for preseason/next season? Is there going to be a break or will we get right into it?
No challenge cup type stuff please. Even us diddies don't want that shit OR FUCKING COLT TEAMS

31 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Anyone that declines promotion should be treated like the diddy juniors should and be hit with a hefty points deduction or punted from the leagues for being cowards.

Refusing promotion so you can chill in the seasides and body diddies week in week out? I vote naw. 

Chess is serious business imo

22 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

@Frank Grimes apologies if you've explained this earlier in the thread, but what's the plan for preseason/next season? Is there going to be a break or will we get right into it?

Happy to have at least a week or two’s break at least to allow new folk to sign up / existing players to gauge if they want to sign up again and what changes we should make, if any, to the current format and scheduling of games etc 

19 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
34 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:
[mention=72581]Frank Grimes[/mention] apologies if you've explained this earlier in the thread, but what's the plan for preseason/next season? Is there going to be a break or will we get right into it?

No challenge cup type stuff please. Even us diddies don't want that shit OR FUCKING COLT TEAMS

Mate, I've been playing my colt team all season.

4 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Fully expecting to take a right few tankings in the top league but refusing promotion is for shitebags and teuchters so I'll take the beatings.

5 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Happy to have at least a week or two’s break at least to allow new folk to sign up / existing players to gauge if they want to sign up again and what changes we should make, if any, to the current format and scheduling of games etc 

I'm sure during that break, some pre-season friendlies can be played between those that fancy a game against people who haven't had a game together due to being in different leagues or those that can't say no to a challenge.

Can I propose a second (optional) cup competition for next season using handicap chess? We should all have played enough games now that our ratings are probably fair.

(Looking to add to the excitement of next season following what is looking like an inevitable relegation where my two games are!)

NotThePars defeats hammysgetinpumped and markf268. Both by checkmate.

First match against hammy was a case of him making an error early on putting his knight in shooting distance of my queen and from then it was just being merciless with my attacks. There were a couple of missteps one of which involving losing his queen which I was convinced was a ploy to put me in check but I think he might've missed the opportunity to split my defences and take my queen. He got it eventually but not before I could take his last bishop and rally every pawn I had left to advance up the board and crown themselves. Ended up with a board like an Ottoman Sultanate.

Had a strange game against Mark. I was as aggressive as I usually am with my pawns which put him under pressure a few times but he also spotted any sneaky advances I tried to make a mile off and usually responded with some good pressure moves on my own king. My biggest downfall in the last few games, I think, has been a severe reluctance to expose my king to any danger which often leads me rooted to a defensive posture by the halfway point and trading pieces til I'm trapped. This time, despite losing a couple of pawns to Mark's advantage, I was more willing to move my king around the board and give up surefire safety to spread my dangerous pieces around the board and despite riding my luck a lot I ended up trapping his rook and queen with some sacrificial moves of my own to emerge the winner with two queens on the board. 

Anyway, a very late surge to try and secure safety for the boys. Two strong performances might be enough to keep them up if performances go their way. If it is to sayonara to the middle leagues then it was with a much better performance than I initially anticipated given I hadn't played chess in like 20 years and finishing on a high for next season. Hopefully if work can settles down again I can get practicing more and figure out these issues in the glamour friendlies.