How gardening boosts mental health?

SmudgePop

Gardening and being one with nature provides numerous health benefits and positive feelings, which contribute to a healthy state of well-being. Being one with nature gives you a safe, peaceful environment where you can relax and quiet your mind.    
So when you feel stressed, anxious, and depressed you may find relief in gardening. I’ve tried it and I swear it really works wonders. Have you tried or will you just try?    

I did a fair bit of garden maintenance in the summer and if anything it made me depressed. An absolute chore and I take my hat off to folk who do it for a living. It was heavier work than potting some plants right enough but I took absolutely no joy from it. My body was aching at the end of the day and I was manky. Each to their own but even as I get older I'll be using the garden to sit and get pished and that's it.

I think the key is getting the size of garden right. Our old house had big front and back gardens which took a lot to maintain so made it a bit onerous and a pain. Our current house has paved driveway at the front so we can focus on the back, which I think will make it much more enjoyable to maintain. There’s something very peaceful about tending to plants and growing things.

Can’t stand gardening. Our last place had a big garden and despite having gardeners I’d end up having to cut the grass between visits or be sent out to sweep up or carry bags of earth or tat from a garden centre. New place just has stones outside and the grass that is there is all tended by the factors. It has improved my mental health greatly by having to do fek all to do with gardening. 

9 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

Can’t stand gardening. Our last place had a big garden and despite having gardeners I’d end up having to cut the grass between visits or be sent out to sweep up or carry bags of earth or tat from a garden centre. New place just has stones outside and the grass that is there is all tended by the factors. It has improved my mental health greatly by having to do fek all to do with gardening. 

Lazy b*****d. You need to get back on the caffeine.

Last spring was the first I'd ever really taken much interest in the garden.  It was just a place for kids' stuff like swings, trampolines and goals before.

It was lockdown enforced and weather enabled, but I got quite into it.  I'm looking forward to resuming it this year.  It does feel like it's good for you in lots of the ways suggested.

The garden is a great place for practicing mindfulness. Put the phone away for an hour and instead watch and listen to the birds and the insects. Smell the flowers as you potter about removing a weed or two. Plant some seeds and bring on some cuttings. It's very rewarding and a great way to relax.

54 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

The garden is a great place for practicing mindfulness. Put the phone away for an hour and instead watch and listen to the birds and the insects. Smell the flowers as you potter about removing a weed or two. Plant some seeds and bring on some cuttings. It's very rewarding and a great way to relax.

Have you not got a telly?

Try living in the jungle, like me.  Time you finish the weeding for the day, you turn round and they have already started to grow again.  I hate it, but if I never did it, within a month you would need a machete to get out the house.

On 26/01/2021 at 18:55, Leicesterlichtie said:

Absolute nonsense. As I do gardening for a living, I find more frustrations than benefits to overall health. Or is it just the fact I'm a grumpy old b*****d.

As a fellow gardener, I find the job is a joy, its the clients and colleagues who are the stressful, frustrating health hazards tbh.

Just leave me to do my fucking job and stop asking stupid questions!