How Was Your Window?

3 hours ago, Shandön Par said:

The window is permanently ajar in Dunfermline so we just signed this six foot five Lithuanian called Vytas, though you can call him Sir.

Ga%C5%A1puitis-medium.jpg

Was already on your list on prev page. Presumably he was either already signed by Mknday just not announced, or he was a free agent, in which case the window doesnt apply.

Wild how when these threads pop up every team seems to have gotten better, and yet people then say the standard gets worse every year, somethings not adding up. 

The January window should be used to rectify the faults, or problems within a squad. In that instance I'd stop short of saying Raith have had a very good one, they already had one of the best strikers in the division in Duku, signing another 2 strikers when they'll potentially be playing Musonda,  Davidson and Mendy at centre back through the season doesn't seem like smart recruitment to me tbh, that centre midfielder they've got from United will be one of those players who in years to come fans will struggle to remember anything about. 

Replacing Ethan Ross with Kennedy is an upgrade in fairness. 

For Dunfermline we already have a good enough squad, on paper we were fine so there's no point in throwing money at it, getting the Lithuanian centre in with time to bed in for Murray leaving looks like good forward planning if nothing else. 

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Wild how when these threads pop up every team seems to have gotten better, and yet people then say the standard gets worse every year, somethings not adding up.

The January window should be used to rectify the faults, or problems within a squad. In that instance I'd stop short of saying Raith have had a very good one, they already had one of the best strikers in the division in Duku, signing another 2 strikers when they'll potentially be playing Musonda,  Davidson and Mendy at centre back through the season doesn't seem like smart recruitment to me tbh, that centre midfielder they've got from United will be one of those players who in years to come fans will struggle to remember anything about. 

Replacing Ethan Ross with Kennedy is an upgrade in fairness.

For Dunfermline we already have a good enough squad, on paper we were fine so there's no point in throwing money at it, getting the Lithuanian centre in with time to bed in for Murray leaving looks like good forward planning if nothing else. 

There is a lot of truth in that though with the caveat that if you had a smallish squad to begin with then adding depth without necessarily improving your first 11 can make for a good window.

On 02/02/2021 at 11:50, Skyline Drifter said:

Alloa Athletic
In: Innes Cameron (Ayr / Kilmarnock), Jordan Wright (Nottingham Forest)
Out:

Arbroath
In: Jake Davidson (Dundee United), Ben Williamson (Rangers), Jack Hamilton (Livingston), Lewis Moore (Hearts)
Out: Michael Ruth (Aberdeen), Miko Virtanen (Aberdeen), Conor Smith (Hearts)

Ayr United
In: Corrie Ndaba (Ipswich Town), Brett McGavin (Ipswich Town), Andre Wright (Bohemians) + Cammy Smith secured longer term
Out: Bruce Anderson (Aberdeen), Innes Cameron (Kilmarnock)

Dundee
In: Paul McMullan (Dundee United), Jason Cummings (Shrewsbury Town), Malachi Fagan-Walcott (Tottenham Hotspur)
Out: Declan McDaid (Partick Thistle)

Dunfermline Athletic
In: Scott Banks (Crystal Palace), Kyle MacDonald (Airdrie), Vitus Gaspuitis (Lithuania) + Pre-contract for Craig Wighton (Hearts)
Out:

Hearts
In: Gary Mackay-Steven (New York City), Armand Gnanduillet (Altay), Garvane Kasteneer (Coventry City), Aaron McEneff (Shamrock Rovers)
Out: Olly Lee (Gillingham), Lewis Moore (Arbroath), Jordan Roberts (Motherwell)

Inverness CT
In:
Out: Kai Kennedy (Rangers / Raith Rovers)

Morton
In: Kazaiah Sterling (Tottenham Hotspur)
Out: Josh McPake (Rangers / Harrogate Town), Ross McIver (Motherwell), Jim McAlister (Retired)

Queen of the South
In: Rhys Breen (Rangers), Dapo Mebude (Rangers), Isaiah Jones (Middlesbrough)
Out: Harry Robinson (Motherwell)

Raith Rovers
In: Kai Kennedy (Inverness / Rangers), Jamie Gullan (Hibernian), Timmy Abraham (Fulham), Adam King (Dundee United)
Out: Lars Lokotsch (Livingston), Ethan Ross (Aberdeen)

Based on above I'd say:

Alloa - Marginal improvement in that Cameron gives them another option up front but he hardly impressed at Ayr, Wright is neither here nor there, he's not starting anyway.
Arbroath - Good window. None of the players they lost were starting whilst Hamilton has hit the ground running and Williamson has impressed already too. Davidson and Moore don't need to offer much to be upgrades too.
Ayr United - Good window. Cameron and Anderson had done the square root of hee haw largely. Wright doesn't need to do much to be an upgrade whilst it's clear already that Ndaba improves them at the back. McGavin addresses a problem for them too but it remains to be seen how good he actually is.
Dundee - On paper a good window but there is a concern that kids from Tottenham will underwhelm in an alien environment and that Cummings has been trading on his Hibs reputation for years. He did the square root of not very much at Rangers, Forest and Shrewsbury. McMullan is what McMullan is. He's a flying machine winger, at times unplayable, at times anonymous. He's probably an upgrade on McDaid though.
Dunfermline - As you say, not actually that much doing, mostly forward planning with the centre half, Wighton and MacDonald.. Banks will probably add something but the team was probably the 2nd best in the division already and still is.
Hearts - No idea. Not seen Mackay-Steven for a couple of years and the other three new signings are complete mysteries, though Gnanduillet did score twice on his debut. The losses were not part of their existing team so no big deal.
Inverness CT - Unquestionably bad. Lost what on the face of it was their best player. Added nothing.
Morton - Not great. Squad is weaker in numbers. McPake at least had been very effective. Still don't have any cover at goalkeeper and added only a mystery striker from Tottenham who might be a revelation. Or might not.
Raith Rovers - Decent window. Kennedy is a great signing. Gullan will certainly add something. Jury very much out on Abraham as to whether he's better than Duku. King's done nothing in years. Ethan Ross is certainly a loss but Kennedy is better.

And QOS - Can't really be objective but I'd say good window. Lost a winger who has been injured almost the whole season and traded him for two flyinig forward players / wingers in Mebude and Jones. Jones yet to actually be seen since our game was off last weekend but Mebude already showed enough in his brief cameo v Morton to suggest he adds something. We desperately needed more defensive cover and got it in Breen. His debut was encouraging and presumably he'll likely keep his place for now.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

52 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And QOS - Can't really be objective but I'd say good window. Lost a winger who has been injured almost the whole season and traded him for two flyinig forward players / wingers in Mebude and Jones. Jones yet to actually be seen since our game was off last weekend but Mebude already showed enough in his brief cameo v Morton to suggest he adds something. We desperately needed more defensive cover and got it in Breen. His debut was encouraging and presumably he'll likely keep his place for now.

Looking forward to see what Jones has to offer and surely AJ will stick with Breen, Buchanan on bench for cover, letting McCabe carry on as Captain a job he seemed to thrive on last game. 

Certainly we're not weakened in any way by the losses, although I quite liked Lee, Generally, but whether we are stronger only time will tell.  I'm surprised everyone we brought in was an attacking player right enough  because we've defended like idiots much of the time.

Optimistic that at least 3 of the 4 will be good though

52 minutes ago, virginton said:

Josh McPake produced the grand total of zero goals and one assist in the league for us, so he was not "very effective" at all. A Nicky Cadden with no end product, so useless then. 

Fair enough. He looked decent in two appearances against us and I thought I'd seen Morton fans post that he was playing well before Xmas.

Whether he was any use or not you aren't better for him leaving and not being replaced though.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There is a lot of truth in that though with the caveat that if you had a smallish squad to begin with then adding depth without necessarily improving your first 11 can make for a good window.

Based on above I'd say:

Alloa - Marginal improvement in that Cameron gives them another option up front but he hardly impressed at Ayr, Wright is neither here nor there, he's not starting anyway.
Arbroath - Good window. None of the players they lost were starting whilst Hamilton has hit the ground running and Williamson has impressed already too. Davidson and Moore don't need to offer much to be upgrades too.
Ayr United - Good window. Cameron and Anderson had done the square root of hee haw largely. Wright doesn't need to do much to be an upgrade whilst it's clear already that Ndaba improves them at the back. McGavin addresses a problem for them too but it remains to be seen how good he actually is.
Dundee - On paper a good window but there is a concern that kids from Tottenham will underwhelm in an alien environment and that Cummings has been trading on his Hibs reputation for years. He did the square root of not very much at Rangers, Forest and Shrewsbury. McMullan is what McMullan is. He's a flying machine winger, at times unplayable, at times anonymous. He's probably an upgrade on McDaid though.
Dunfermline - As you say, not actually that much doing, mostly forward planning with the centre half, Wighton and MacDonald.. Banks will probably add something but the team was probably the 2nd best in the division already and still is.
Hearts - No idea. Not seen Mackay-Steven for a couple of years and the other three new signings are complete mysteries, though Gnanduillet did score twice on his debut. The losses were not part of their existing team so no big deal.
Inverness CT - Unquestionably bad. Lost what on the face of it was their best player. Added nothing.
Morton - Not great. Squad is weaker in numbers. McPake at least had been very effective. Still don't have any cover at goalkeeper and added only a mystery striker from Tottenham who might be a revelation. Or might not.
Raith Rovers - Decent window. Kennedy is a great signing. Gullan will certainly add something. Jury very much out on Abraham as to whether he's better than Duku. King's done nothing in years. Ethan Ross is certainly a loss but Kennedy is better.

Queens window was more not to lose players  like we did last Jan 

The new signing are all young a bit of a gamble none have played at this level before hopefully all can make the step up fine having flying forwards but it is how you use that pace that matters 

36 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Fair enough. He looked decent in two appearances against us and I thought I'd seen Morton fans post that he was playing well before Xmas.

Whether he was any use or not you aren't better for him leaving and not being replaced though.

Given that our squad is about 75% sand-dancing attacking midfielder it's no loss at all. The issue is with not adding proven quality elsewhere to deal with the hopeless centre forward options (Sterling is a gamble) as well as the ongoing situation with backup goalkeeper.

9 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

The new signing are all young a bit of a gamble none have played at this level before hopefully all can make the step up fine having flying forwards but it is how you use that pace that matters 

More chance of using that pace to good effect if you have it than if you don't.

10 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Is the punctuation window still open?

Northfield is badly in need of bringing some full stops in on loan :rolleyes:

Guest Axle Grease
On 02/02/2021 at 11:26, Mr. Alli said:

I think it's probably fair to say that Raith had an excellent window. It's hard to see past them being Hearts' main challengers for the title.

How did that go for Raith? 

Did you manage the PPV to watch them against Dunfermline 'this Kingdom is ours' Athletic? 

Guest Axle Grease
On 02/02/2021 at 13:56, clashcityrocker said:

Ben is on loan from Rangers.

Arbroath have done really well during the transfer window ( which is still open for clubs in the Championship until the end of Feb).

Dick's signings have made an instant impact to the squad and Arbroath are looking good.

Ben is a good player and rated at Rangers.

I'm pals with his dad and he's excited at his laddies chance at Arbroath. 

1 hour ago, Axle Grease said:

How did that go for Raith? 

Excellently. I literally wrote that in the post you quoted. 

No, I never "managed" the PPV. It's a tough enough watch sitting down to gaze at a team I support play in this turgid league. Fucked if I'm doing that for two twelve fingered pub team selects. 

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Scores 6 mins into his debut.

Your football knowledge really knows no bounds

I guess this was down to individual skill and not just a tap in after a keeper spilled it?

59 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

We not counting tap ins as legitimate goals now?

I mean more that telling me I'm wrong in saying Jones won't be a good signing is daft if you're basing it on him scoring a tap in from 5 yards, then spending the rest of the time doing nothing.