Miguel Sanchez

IN 14TH PLACE, WITH 24 POINTS FROM 3 VOTES

BioShock cover.jpg

Game: BioShock
Platform: Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC
Release date: 2007
Gameplay:

Zero Punctuation review:

Additional youtube documentary which seems to share my sentiments about the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDFCVOB-RLU

Poll-maker comments: I played the 2016 Remastered version a few months ago and wrote it up here: 

I don't know that I'll ever have an experience playing a video game again like I had the first time I played BioShock. That's a comment on me as much as video games, but it's undeniable how important this game is.

That might be the last from my top ten; can't be arsed to check.

System Shock 2 with excellent (for the time) audiovisuals, dripping with atmosphere, and masterful storytelling? Hell yes I'll take that, even with the (understandable) streamlining of the RPG elements. One of only half a dozen or so Collector's Editions that I've ever bought, and I still have my resin Big Daddy.

Worth looking back through the development of Bioshock - I was following it right from the first rumours that Ken Levine was working on a spiritual sequel to System Shock 2, as EA were sitting on the IP (and eventually started working on a System Shock 3 that turned into Dead Space). Much as Bioshock Infinite ended up being a different beast to the original game they started working on, the early work on Bioshock had nothing about Rapture or Objectivism, and was much more like SS2, only with a variety of insectoid enemies (I vividly remember some kind of centipede monster). Ken Levine really seems to find his games during development, rather than starting with fixed ideas.

Anyway, an excellent game, although (blasphemy) Bioshock 2 may actually have the best gameplay of the series, as they made a real effort to create locations that feel like playgrounds for the player to ambush enemies in the manner that they'd prefer. Unfortunately the story's mediocre at best, so Bioshock 1 is the best of the series by doing everything very well. Although the final showdown is still pants.

I've actually been replaying the first one in fits and spurts because my opinion of the series has been so soured by my revisit of Infinite that I had to confirm for myself that the entire endeavour wasn't a load of shit. Bioshock is good though. It's got atmosphere for days and the shooting is still relatively fun for a game that appeared just before the homogenisation (for the better imo) of FPSs after Modern Warfare.

Not many games (western AAA ones especially) do a good job of creating a unique space in the way that Bioshock does (even in Infinite).

Edited by NotThePars

8 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I've actually been replaying the first one in fits and spurts because my opinion of the series has been so soured by my revisit of Infinite that I had to confirm for myself that the entire endeavour wasn't a load of shit. Bioshock is good though. It's got atmosphere for days and the shooting is still relatively fun for a game that appeared just before the homogenisation (for the better imo) of FPSs after Modern Warfare.

Not many games (western AAA ones especially) do a good job of creating a unique space in the way that Bioshock does (even in Infinite).

You didn't enjoy going back through Infinite?

I didn't realise until I'd finished it the first time, but I didn't enjoy the gameplay much. I found the combat to be a chore, and the celebrated skyhook travel still didn't make it terribly enjoyable. I was just pushing through to advance the story.

That said, the world was very engaging, and I thought the story was masterfully told. There's been a lot said about how it rips off a lot of basic sci-fi ideas from different places, but it was put together so well.

Bioshock came out at a time where Heroes was big, and as a big nerd VL, it appealed to me to have a game where you could toss about fireballs and electricity like an angry God.  Story first time around was very good too.

9 hours ago, BFTD said:

You didn't enjoy going back through Infinite?

I didn't realise until I'd finished it the first time, but I didn't enjoy the gameplay much. I found the combat to be a chore, and the celebrated skyhook travel still didn't make it terribly enjoyable. I was just pushing through to advance the story.

That said, the world was very engaging, and I thought the story was masterfully told. There's been a lot said about how it rips off a lot of basic sci-fi ideas from different places, but it was put together so well.

The world of Infinite may be my favourite ever video game world. It's absolutely magnificent.

I'd go 1 > Infinite > 2

16 hours ago, BFTD said:

There's been a lot said about how it rips off a lot of basic sci-fi ideas from different places, but it was put together so well.

I don't understand criticism like this. So many big games, films and shows do this do why single out some games and not others?

Edited by Lang Toun Lad

I've been playing through the Remastered versions of the Bioshock games recently.

The characters, story, setting and levels of the first game are fantastic. The twist was great first time round. Not been able to dual wield a plasmid and a weapon is a drawback and the hacking is beyond tedious.

Problem with the second game is the story in the first was self contained and fully resolved by the end. Lamb is rectoned in as being a big player in Rapture but she's not on par with Fontaine and Ryan from the first game. The gameplay is better and the Minerva Den DLC is arguably better.

I've recently started replaying Bioshock Infinite. Colombia still looks amazing and the two led characters are great. Comstock and Fitzroy again are not on par with the characters from Bioshock 1 and from what I can remember the story becomes a mess involving multiple realities. Looking forward to playing through Burial at Sea again.

14 hours ago, Lang Toun Lad said:

I don't understand criticism like this. So many big games, films and shows do this do why single out some games and not others?

I guess it just depends on whether or not people notice it? If they notice the tropes, they feel like it's obvious and lazy, while maybe it's not so noticeable to other people.

I get the impression that sci-fi fans are particularly sensitive to that. Horror fans seem to love repetition, however  :P

I guess it just depends on whether or not people notice it? If they notice the tropes, they feel like it's obvious and lazy, while maybe it's not so noticeable to other people.
I get the impression that sci-fi fans are particularly sensitive to that. Horror fans seem to love repetition, however  [emoji14]
That's because horror is

BOOOO!

easy

IN 13TH PLACE, WITH 25 POINTS FROM 5 VOTES

Supermariokart box.JPG

Game: Super Mario Kart
Platform: Super Nintendo
Release date: 1992
Gameplay:

Poll-maker comments: I've talked a lot in this thread about certain sounds and images in games being immediately familiar to me even when I hear them years later. This is one of those. If only I was ever any good at it.

Super Mariokart is fantastic. It was my number 1. I got it when it first came out - we had got our SNES that Xmas, and it came out in early January IIRC, and it was an absolute joy to play. I don't think any of the subsequent versions ever matched the fun of the original.

I still play it on my SNES Classic now and again, and it's still an unbelievable amount of fun

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Were people's eyesights better in the 90s? I remember trying to play Mario Kart on the N64 in like 2014 and I couldn't differentiate between a wall and the path.

Tl;dr modern tvs don't deal with 240p resolution well at all  (the resolution used on all consoles pre-6th gen) & interprits the video signal as 480i. This is compounded by composite video being the 2nd lowest quality analog video signal.  I'm assuming here it was through a modern tv using composite.

More detailed explanation here

Edited by GNU_Linux