P&B Ranks: The Top 42 Video Games of All-Time

Miguel Sanchez

3 hours ago, Mr X said:

You ruined that story by confessing you had an amstrad.

I also loved Pirates - on the c64 obviously - a lot of fun and quiet different to other games at the time.

CPC 464 green screen 🤘

I remember pestering my parents all year to get me a modulator for Xmas that let me play it on a colour TV 😁

11 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I watched Joseph Anderson's video for The Witcher so I think I have a good grasp of it. It gave me an appreciation for The Witcher 3 because man it looks very puerile and janky. Not to say it's bad, I imagine if I'd devoted time to it I would've had a lot of fun with it, but credit to CDPR for really growing into the series. Shame they pissed all the goodwill away.

The visuals and mechanics were actually pretty good for the time. What is it, fifteen years old now, or something? No question it's aged a lot - definitely try tracking down the modern mods if anyone fancies playing it now - but it did a lot well and I still really enjoy playing it now every couple of years, which is why it's in my top ten.

I've still got a pirate copy of the original, pre-Enhanced Edition version kicking about, and would record a playthrough for YouTube if I could be arsed, as it's hilariously janky. They totally re-recorded the English language dialogue for the EE, as it was terrible - I seem to remember most of Geralt's responses being monosyllabic. And I really miss the magic spinning cat in the first tavern.

I can hardly wait to see if anyone's voted for Cyberpunk  :lol:

3 hours ago, madwullie said:

I voted for sid meiers pirates! Confusingly there were two games called this - the 1987 version listed above that I first played on my mate's commodore 64 and I subsequently got on (I think) the amstrad, and then the version that the gameplay is from in the poll, which was a remake in 2004.

It doesn't really matter which one I talk about here, because I poured hours upon hours into both of these games when I was young. I remember going for my mate a few times just to play this - couldn't give a shit if he was there or not. It was the first game I remember that had a map that came with it, and I used to pore over it for hours. I became completely obsessed with the Caribbean, to this day I still know the names, locations and colonial history of all the islands etc inside out. 

The game had 5 main parts to it - sailing about on a kind of campaign map, fighting with other ships using cannons etc (which was surprisingly tactical using the wind etc), attacking towns, searching for buried treasure using maps you'd found, and swording the living shit out of other ships captains when you boarded them. Each bit was as enjoyable as the other, and mashed together they were just sublime.

I was so obsessed with this location and time period I even got really into some authors who wrote about the Caribbean during the times of pirates . I must have been 11/12ish, and the books were extremely gorey and graphically raunchy - if my mum and dad had known what I was reading about they'd have had a fucking fit - but as far as they were concerned it was just books about pirates. 

Fucking brilliant games, and it doesn't even look that bad now checking out the gameplay in the video above. Not entirely sure the amstrad version would stand up to such scrutiny mind you

If there was a top-20 I think PIrates would have made mine, played the AGA version on the Amiga and the Gold! Version on PC / Emulator.

Think my main criticism of it was the absolute ball-breaking amount of time it took to travel West -> East against the prevailing winds, especially with any boat bigger than a pinnace. By the time you got there it took about a year and your crew were bored or mutinous.

Nightmare when you were trying to track down a lost relative in Vera Cruz then the next destination you had to go to was St Martin (I too now know this bit of the Caribbean scarily well). A speed up time option would have been great. But for the time it was a cracking game.

That aside, surprised to see a vote for GTA 1 though I suppose without GTA1 there wouldn't be 4 games which will no doubt be in the top 20 come the end of this poll. As I said in the GTA3 discussion I enjoyed 1 and 2 for what they were but doubt they play great now.

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

Nope.

Boo, spoilsport.

No doubt it'll be in the next poll once all this hard work CDPR are totally doing has been completed.

IN JOINT 76TH, WITH 8 POINTS FROM 2 VOTES

Spider-Man, a superhero in a blue and red suit and mask with a large white symbol on his chest, swings on a strand of webbing towards the viewer. The words "Spider-Man" are written in white text behind him.

Game: Spider-Man
Platform: PlayStation 4
Release date: 7th September 2018
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1eWusy9RVg
Zero Punctuation review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRQMRGMY5Es
User comments: "Probably the most fun I've ever had with the way a game feels. Spider-man plays so smoothly that it's a joy to do anything in this game. Couple that with a decent story and he really is the only Marvel property that doesn't suck shit."

Super Mario World Coverart.png

Game: Super Mario World
Platform: SNES
Release date: 1990
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxg5eOPmzHI

The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker.jpg

Game: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Platform: GameCube
Release date: 2002
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xnA9tAqaUg
User comments: "I never actually owned this, I borrowed it from a friend. But I loved it and I really regret never coercing my parents into buying it for me. I liked the cartoony animation. And, having never properly played a Zelda game before (other than snippets of "Ocarina Of Time" at friends' houses) I came into it totally fresh. I haven't played one since either. "

Dxcover.jpg

Game: Deus Ex
Platform: PC, PlayStation 2
Release date: 2000
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owJCi4ge5-Q
Zero Punctuation review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_LULRj_f4w
Poll-maker comments: It's definitely in the right place this time.

Spyro the Dragon.jpg

Game: Spyro the Dragon
Platform: PlayStation
Release date: 1998
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrVKjNR0-SE
User comments: "Need I say more?"
Poll-maker comments: I'll give it a go. I had (and still have) a Spyro game for the Game Boy Advance. I never liked it. In 2009 a game called inFamous was released for the PS3 and I remember buying it and playing it on the promise of someone from the internet and... eh. It was my first introduction to a moral choice system and it was a pretty dull game overall. It was made by the same people who made Spyro and who made that Spiderman - sorry, Spider-Man - game up above, so... that's the more I have to say. Not for me, Clive. 

9 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

This poll is done for. Witcher, Silent Hill 2 & No Mercy not getting anywhere near the fabled top 43? P&B's clientele clearly has no taste.

I'm shocked I'm the only one who has put No Mercy in their top 10. Shocked & saddened.

Spyro is a belter, recently completed the remastered versions. Iconic. 

Spiderman I haven't tried but I've got Miles Morales which I'd presume is effectively the same, I'm not a massive fan, i wouldn't call it smooth, the web slinging is fun but the story and the acting is beyond birthday caird cringe and the fighting is just spam dodge and mash square button til your controller breaks. 

Ooft. Amazed that two big Mario and Zelda games have come so low.

Probably likely that Deus Ex: Human Revolution will rate higher than the original game now, which would trigger a few heads to explode on actual gaming forums.

27 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Ooft. Amazed that two big Mario and Zelda games have come so low.

Probably likely that Deus Ex: Human Revolution will rate higher than the original game now, which would trigger a few heads to explode on actual gaming forums.

I guess one is 30 years old and the other is probably the weakest of the Zelda games.

Im amazed theres anyone who hasnt played 10 better games than Spiderman

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

Im amazed theres anyone who hasnt played 10 better games than Spiderman

We were all twelve years old once.

My favourite game of all time back then was probably Xenon 2. I'd imagine the Spidered Man is probably better.