Your office/workplace split

Lots of women at my work, very few of whom express an interest in football, and if they do it's that sort of OF support that's just a meaningless default setting, or they "love the rugby" but only 4 times a year.  One must be a Queens fan, but I've never discussed it with her.

Of the blokes who express a preference, 4 Queens including me, a Hibs, a Hearts, 3 Celtic, 2 Rangers.  

It's depressing to see so many say that there's little football interest at work.  What's wrong with so many people? 

There's definitely been a huge change in office demographics. When I started work in 1979 nearly everyone in my peer group went to games. Majority were Rangers and Celtic supporters but there were noticeable Thistle, Clyde, Me and various outliers from Fife etc that didn't go as regularly, but still did when they could.

Now there's 2, including me, that attend games. Not scientific and not borne out by attendance stats about head of population etc but my perception is the concept has changed. People think they're supporters by watching on telly or following on websites, when the truth is they aren't really.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

That I know of:-

11 x Blue scum
2 x Green scum
1 x Everton
1 x Fulham
1 x Airdrie
1 x Aston Villa

5 x QoS but only 3 inc. me actually attend the games/know what's going on at the club.

The The Rangers ones put Celtic conspiracy theories to shame when they get going.

43 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

There's definitely been a huge change in office demographics. When I started work in 1979 nearly everyone in my peer group went to games. Majority were Rangers and Celtic supporters but there were noticeable Thistle, Clyde, Me and various outliers from Fife etc that didn't go as regularly, but still did when they could.

Now there's 2, including me, that attend games. Not scientific and not borne out by attendance stats about head of population etc but my perception is the concept has changed. People think they're supporters by watching on telly or following on websites, when the truth is they aren't really.

I was doing a thread on the 1992/93 Highland League season for Fitbanorth.com and the one thing that has stood out all the way through the thread was the fact crowds were enormous. Almost 1000 folk showed up to watch Ross County v Huntly, the latter side sent 2,000 to Tynecastle for a Scottish Cup tie, more than 1300 showed up for a cup final between Brora and Ross County when I think the two towns combined at the time barely had that many folk living there. 1,660 for Inverness Thistle - who were absolutely rotten at this point and at deaths door - against Berwick Rangers in December. Even jobbing league ties featuring Lossie, Buckie, Vale and the like were all merrily pulling in 500+ on a regular basis. 

Edited by Jimmy Shaker

In our office about 70% of the office is female. Of the males, two (including me) are Rovers season ticket holders and one is a Pars season ticket holder. Another follows East Fife but only goes to a couple of games a season. Of the rest a couple are Celtic fans who never attend matches and a couple have not much interest at all. 

Of the females I've been told one follows Scotland home and away but she's only recently started so no idea how true that is. I doubt if the rest of them care two hoots about the game.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Lots of women at my work, very few of whom express an interest in football, and if they do it's that sort of OF support that's just a meaningless default setting, or they "love the rugby" but only 4 times a year

In normal times I visit a lot of primary schools with my work where the vast majority of staff are female. Most of those either don't care about or look down on football, or both. Annoyingly probably about 3/4 "love the rugby" but as you suggest, only ever at 6 Nations time. They probably couldn't even name a club side never mind a player.

As for my split, I'm almost exclusively self employed so hard to give meaningful stats, I'll just pick the first 20 or so that come to mind, not including Old Firm as they unfortunately dominate, although I can only think of 1 of each who ever go to games.

2 QoS, 2 Stranraer, 2 Dundee, 1 Dundee Utd, 5 Man Utd, 3 Liverpool, 3 Arsenal, 2 Newcastle, 1 Spurs, 1 Man City.

Obviously the majority are TV fans, with only the QoS, Dundee Utd and Stranraer fans actually going to games, as well as myself of course regularly at QoS, Annan or Carlisle and occasionally Stranraer.

22 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

In normal times I visit a lot of primary schools with my work where the vast majority of staff are female. Most of those either don't care about or look down on football, or both. Annoyingly probably about 3/4 "love the rugby" but as you suggest, only ever at 6 Nations time. They probably couldn't even name a club side never mind a player.

As for my split, I'm almost exclusively self employed so hard to give meaningful stats, I'll just pick the first 20 or so that come to mind, not including Old Firm as they unfortunately dominate, although I can only think of 1 of each who ever go to games.

2 QoS, 2 Stranraer, 2 Dundee, 1 Dundee Utd, 5 Man Utd, 3 Liverpool, 3 Arsenal, 2 Newcastle, 1 Spurs, 1 Man City.

Obviously the majority are TV fans, with only the QoS, Dundee Utd and Stranraer fans actually going to games, as well as myself of course regularly at QoS, Annan or Carlisle and occasionally Stranraer.

I watch football on the telly everyday, often more than one game and have various preferences for English and a few abroad, usually teams I see when away with work or holiday.

I stop listening as soon as I realise I'm speaking to a committed armchair supporter that has never been to the ground of the team they support. They shouldn't be counted in this exercise.

In my immediate team there are a few women who aren't into football. 1 Dundee fan, who regularly goes to games, 1 Aberdeen fan who occasionally goes, 1 Dundee United fan who occasionally attends games, 2 Rangers and 1 Celtic, who used to attend games but don't anymore.

In the wider office there are loads of guys, below the age of 30, who refer to the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and Man United as "we" and "us", but have never even been to the cities, let alone a game and who can't understand why I follow my local team. TBH, I've no interest in talking about football with people like that.

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

In my department, 3 have on interest: one Bairn (me) plus one Buddie and one Perth Saint. 6 have no interest.

In the wider workplace, one Jeanfield Swifts. A few other Perth Saints, one Kilmarnock and a few Celtic. Outnumbered about 5 to 1 by the not interesteds.

There is effectively zero fitba chat.

Last place was great with loads of actual match going Dundee Utd, Arbroath, East Fife fans to chat to/wind up. 😔

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

16 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

In my immediate team there are a few women who aren't into football. 1 Dundee fan, who regularly goes to games, 1 Aberdeen fan who occasionally goes, 1 Dundee United fan who occasionally attends games, 2 Rangers and 1 Celtic, who used to attend games but don't anymore.

In the wider office there are loads of guys, below the age of 30, who refer to the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and Man United as "we" and "us", but have never even been to the cities, let alone a game and who can't understand why I follow my local team. TBH, I've no interest in talking about football with people like that.

When I moved to the team I'm in which involved travel I did it with a view to "ground hopping". I realise that's not everyone's idea of a good time. But I seriously couldn't understand these supposed football supporters who were in various towns with league and dozens of non league teams who had never gone to any grounds.

I've been at Champions League, Europa League, League cup, EFL, any number of Non league comps, all in midweek. I even stay over some times to go on Saturday if I can.

Eta, remembered a couple of EPL games as well now that were midweek and got a ticket no problem.

Only five in my office. Three Dunfermline fans but I'm the only one who goes regularly. A Celtic fan who never goes and I think I've been to Celtic park more times than him. Also a guy who goes to all the Scotland games but doesn't really follow club football.

11 hours ago, paranoid android said:

rangers 3

hibs 5

Notts Forest 1

Liverpool 1

motherwell 1

Preston NE 1

clyde 1

Sheffield Utd 1

Peterborough 1

Heart of Midlothian 2 (including me)

Seemingly most are weirdos who aren't into fitba. 

plus the two hearts' fans...

Last place I worked only me was interested in football, the rest of them were gaelic people.

Place before that was me (Aberdeen & Coleraine), and a Ballymena & Aston Villa supporter. (It may have been West Ham, it was definitely one of those claret and blue teams and it wasn't Burnley.) He was a real fanatic Ballymena fan, went everywhere and as he lived in Limavady, even home games were a fairly major exercise - 70 mile round trip.

Place before that in my room was me, plus a Glentoran/Arsenal/Northern Ireland fan, who went to the Oval and followed the international team also (he also had a soft spot for the Dons as he had studied in Aberdeen) and another fella who was a Liverpool fan. The boss was a Spurs man (giving his age away there) and there was another Liverpool "fan", can't remember who the secretary supported, think she was more into gaelic tbh, the junior partner supported Bristol Rovers as he had studied in Bristol but he was more of a rugby man, great man for Ravenhill. There was another chap, think he was an Arsenal man, too. Despite feigning no interest in Scottish football, the other Liverpool fan - not the one in my room - and the secretary always seemed to know the result of Celtic v Rangers games, and would bring up the result (only if Celtic had won, of course), probably thinking it would noise me up, being a protestant.

Then there was a chap who collected Star War figurines...

Any other places were non football environments, although I used to get slightly fed up with the constant gaelic updates in one office.

13 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

When I moved to the team I'm in which involved travel I did it with a view to "ground hopping". I realise that's not everyone's idea of a good time. But I seriously couldn't understand these supposed football supporters who were in various towns with league and dozens of non league teams who had never gone to any grounds.

I've been at Champions League, Europa League, League cup, EFL, any number of Non league comps, all in midweek. I even stay over some times to go on Saturday if I can.

Eta, remembered a couple of EPL games as well now that were midweek and got a ticket no problem.

My job occasionally takes me to various towns in northern England, or at least it did pre covid. I'm keen to attend a local game but the fixture lists have never been in my favour. My hotel room in Sunderland last year had a good view of the Stadium of Light and I could see Deepdale from the Preston office. Both very impressive grounds but sadly there were no midweek fixtures when I was there.

12 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

My job occasionally takes me to various towns in northern England, or at least it did pre covid. I'm keen to attend a local game but the fixture lists have never been in my favour. My hotel room in Sunderland last year had a good view of the Stadium of Light and I could see Deepdale from the Preston office. Both very impressive grounds but sadly there were no midweek fixtures when I was there.

Ebac Northern League is your solution, games often played Monday to Thursday and a decent level, good clubs, drink allowed and easy travel on the metro.

Up a level or 2 you get South Shields.

Eta, Gatesheid as well, but it's pish to visit.