The Hypothetical Roadmap to Getting Fans Back in the SPFL Grounds Discussion

The Getting Fans Back in the SPFL Grounds Questionnaire  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

Its slightly off topic, but I have attended numerous football matches pished out my tits and have never been refused entry or ejected.

Its entirely possible to behave like a non-c**t when steaming.

If you are reekin, pishing in peoples stairs, smashing buckfast bottles, threatening bystanders in the street (all of which happens when a couple of clubs come to Easter Road, I will leave the identities up to your imagination) then you may expect to be treated like a fucking animal.

I cant testify for rugby as I dont attend..............but behave the way I mention above and I dont think you will get a free pass.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that you get some of the undesirables attending matches in the state you mention, I was more meaning being drunk in general without doing any of the above. Of course those doing that should be dealt with.

The general attitude shown towards the different sports is what I'm getting at. I have witnessed first hand rugby fans doing most of what you mention above, as well as fighting on train station platforms and causing damage in pubs yet when the police intervene it's a polite "right lads, break it up, get on your way". This contrasts massively with the way football fans are policed.

There are multiple police checkpoints to get into various games, they record you during the match in anticipation of any trouble and inflame almost every situation.

Additionally, it's quite ironic you try to paint out some fans as the bad guys here with anecdotes including Buckfast bottles... that's all I'll say as I am quite keen to avoid a tit-for-tat argument about fan behaviour.

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that you get some of the undesirables attending matches in the state you mention, I was more meaning being drunk in general without doing any of the above. Of course those doing that should be dealt with.

The general attitude shown towards the different sports is what I'm getting at. I have witnessed first hand rugby fans doing most of what you mention above, as well as fighting on train station platforms and causing damage in pubs yet when the police intervene it's a polite "right lads, break it up, get on your way". This contrasts massively with the way football fans are policed.

There are multiple police checkpoints to get into various games, they record you during the match in anticipation of any trouble and inflame almost every situation.

Additionally, it's quite ironic you try to paint out some fans as the bad guys here with anecdotes including Buckfast bottles... that's all I'll say as I am quite keen to avoid a tit-for-tat argument about fan behaviour.

It was easy to target football, football fans have always been looked upon as the worst out of us and rugby fans, so when politicians look to try sway votes and act the big shot its easier to target the generally hated crowd out of the two

1 hour ago, G51 said:

If you're referring to the 1980 cup final, then it's absolutely ludicrous that you can't buy a pint at East Fife vs Cowdenbeath because of a riot at a cup final 40 years ago.

There is no justification for this policy. If you're worried about a repeat of 1980, simply don't sell alcohol during the four Old Firm matches a year.

Can you imagine the reaction if we were told all games could serve alcohol excluding old firm games? 🤣

Behave.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Not the thread for this but I'm sure you know why this is.

If there was a true agenda against football then surely the 6 nations matches could be open to some supporters?

Theres a massive difference between fans being allowed into grounds with a cargo and stadiums selling booze at their discretion, 

England had a massive massive issue with boozed up fans knocking seven shades of shite out of each other on a weekly basis back in rhe 80's, doesnt happen now that stadiums are selling booze does it? 

5 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Theres a massive difference between fans being allowed into grounds with a cargo and stadiums selling booze at their discretion, 

England had a massive massive issue with boozed up fans knocking seven shades of shite out of each other on a weekly basis back in rhe 80's, doesnt happen now that stadiums are selling booze does it? 

Fans of the other ten teams will be able to confirm that old firm fans regularly act like animals at away games. It's not going to get any better if they are actively encouraged to drink more alcohol prior to games.

Aberdeen fans have regularly acted like minks at the centenary bar in Dundee.

I've a mate who I've seen get out of order countless times when drunk at the football. He's been on buses to rugby games and admitted he's behaved far better whilst just as drunk as it's usually a different crowd.

11 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Fans of the other ten teams will be able to confirm that old firm fans regularly act like animals at away games. It's not going to get any better if they are actively encouraged to drink more alcohol prior to games.

I've a mate who I've seen get out of order countless times when drunk at the football. He's been on buses to rugby games and admitted he's behaved far better whilst just as drunk as it's usually a different crowd.

So we need to be collectively punished for your mate acting like a wide twat? :lol:

11 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

So we need to be collectively punished for your mate acting like a wide twat? :lol:

No. Of course not. The question was asked why do rugby fans get to drink and we don't. I'm not a rugby fan but it's clear to see there's a difference in behaviour between the two sets of supporters.

I would imagine 99% of the supporters on here can behave themselves with a drink at the football. It's the dregs of society amongst the fans that can't.

It's just over a decade ago that Rangers fans I worked with saw no issue with their supporters starting a genuine riot because a large TV screen wasn't working to show their UEFA cup final.

What a lot of pish.

Rugby fans have been caught multiple times while pished fighting each other or random folk, Wales done a study and found violence rose 67% during the 6 nations.

Rugby is seen as upper class so gets a pass, while football is seen as lower class and is an easy target for folk desperate to feel important.

52 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Fans acting like knobends and getting plastered to the point where they are arseholes arent the same as normal fans who maybe fancy a beer or two within the ground

The 2 dont go hand in hand, do you not think a lot of away fans in england get smashed out their tits pre match, doesnt stop the home fans enjoying a pint or two does it

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

What a lot of pish.

Rugby fans have been caught multiple times while pished fighting each other or random folk, Wales done a study and found violence rose 67% during the 6 nations.

Rugby is seen as upper class so gets a pass, while football is seen as lower class and is an easy target for folk desperate to feel important.

Rugby, which is the national sport of Wales and not necessarily for the 'upper class'.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

What a lot of pish.

Aye, rugbg fans battering lumps out of anything and its "boys will be boys" football fans don't get anywhere near that treatment

32 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Rugby, which is the national sport of Wales and not necessarily for the 'upper class'.

Or the English rugby fans who physically abused McDonald's staff, while also racially abusing them, while drunk after a match.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/drunk-rugby-fans-pulled-burger-3412467.amp&ved=2ahUKEwiK4bSEloXvAhUNURUIHbTDCVMQFjAQegQIBRAC&usg=AOvVaw0I98AMvSv46NwpwaamgdP7&ampcf=1

Weird how that's just accepted though, while football fans as a whole get punished for any fannies actions.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Or the English rugby fans who physically abused McDonald's staff, while also racially abusing them, while drunk after a match.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/drunk-rugby-fans-pulled-burger-3412467.amp&ved=2ahUKEwiK4bSEloXvAhUNURUIHbTDCVMQFjAQegQIBRAC&usg=AOvVaw0I98AMvSv46NwpwaamgdP7&ampcf=1

Weird how that's just accepted though, while football fans as a whole get punished for any fannies actions.

Racist is racist. I've seen worse than that at football games which is laughed off and never hard of again.

41 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They have alcohol bans on the railway on the days of those games and nobody bats an eyelid.

Ok Craig.

If you genuinely feel that there would be no fuss if the Govt said "ok so you can drink at football games, just not the Old Firm ones" then you're deluded.

47 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Ok Craig.

If you genuinely feel that there would be no fuss if the Govt said "ok so you can drink at football games, just not the Old Firm ones" then you're deluded.

There would be fuss about absolutely everything, but the fact that some people might not like it is not a reason to make policy decisions. It wouldn't be "just not the Old Firm ones" anyway - it would presumably be done on the basis of anything declared a "high risk" fixture or something like that. The likes of the Edinburgh derby (and probably an Ayrshire derby) would fall into that category too.

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There would be fuss about absolutely everything, but the fact that some people might not like it is not a reason to make policy decisions. It wouldn't be "just not the Old Firm ones" anyway - it would presumably be done on the basis of anything declared a "high risk" fixture or something like that. The likes of the Edinburgh derby (and probably an Ayrshire derby) would fall into that category too.

None of that is anything to do with my post. I made a comment on how I'd expect certain fans to react if they were told that they were the only fixture where alcohol can't be supplied.