Next Ayr United manager

1 minute ago, Ayr23 said:
5 minutes ago, AuAl said:
Smith to give an update on manager situation at half time apparently...

Bizzare if so. Where you seeing this?

Agreed, sportsound apparently.

I'll be a bit disappointed if we've now gone down the route of leaking things, it was bad enough having Ayr fan VOR telling us what was happening. 

Edited by ayrmad

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Announcement Thursday according to Davie Smith

That’s what I was told as he will be getting his Covid test at club Thursday morning before meeting press and team 

An appointment based on reputation, rather than achievement, types that rarely work out.

Not expecting this to move you forward long term at all, probably end up backwards.

An appointment based on reputation, rather than achievement, types that rarely work out.
Not expecting this to move you forward long term at all, probably end up backwards.

I mean I’d say his achievements at Livingston are fairly decent. Regardless of who was signing players, he was clearly the one coaching them and both Morton and Livi fans have said he’s good in that regard.

He actively made Martindale head of recruitment at Livi so he’d clearly aware that building a team isn’t his forte. I’d imagine this would’ve been part of the discussions with Smith and someone can be brought in to sort that out.

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I mean I’d say his achievements at Livingston are fairly decent. Regardless of who was signing players, he was clearly the one coaching them and both Morton and Livi fans have said he’s good in that regard.

He actively made Martindale head of recruitment at Livi so he’d clearly aware that building a team isn’t his forte. I’d imagine this would’ve been part of the discussions with Smith and someone can be brought in to sort that out.

If he'd learned that then he would've done the same at both Bradford and Morton since, both jobs where he's failed.

He seems very much a John Hughes type. Fine when coming in to a sinking ship, motivating folk while making it simple and getting a good response. But if the squad isn't good enough, and/or he's asked to bring players in, then he'll absolutely bomb.

If you hire him you'll be in this exact same position in 12 months, but with a worse squad, IMO.

If he'd learned that then he would've done the same at both Bradford and Morton since, both jobs where he's failed.
He seems very much a John Hughes type. Fine when coming in to a sinking ship, motivating folk while making it simple and getting a good response. But if the squad isn't good enough, and/or he's asked to bring players in, then he'll absolutely bomb.
If you hire him you'll be in this exact same position in 12 months, but with a worse squad, IMO.

Was their much scope to do that at Morton? The guy had a fitness coach as an assistant which doesn’t tell me the club were that fussed about his back room staff.

It doesn’t need to happen right now as all we need him to do is get the best out of what we’ve got which, if he manages it, will see us safe. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see someone come in to help him out in bringing players in over the summer.

Of course it may not actually be Hopkin we’re hiring and this is all a waste of a discussion.

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Was their much scope to do that at Morton? The guy had a fitness coach as an assistant which doesn’t tell me the club were that fussed about his back room staff.

It doesn’t need to happen right now as all we need him to do is get the best out of what we’ve got which, if he manages it, will see us safe. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see someone come in to help him out in bringing players in over the summer.

Of course it may not actually be Hopkin we’re hiring and this is all a waste of a discussion.

Fair point about Morton tbh.

I'd guess it will be if Scott Burns is saying it, it's unreal how many times he beats clubs to the punch.

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Hopkin hand picked his backroom team at Morton, appointing Anton as Assistant having also had him as Assistant at Bradford, and taking Blackpool's GK coach.

Fair point about Morton tbh.
I'd guess it will be if Scott Burns is saying it, it's unreal how many times he beats clubs to the punch.

Yeah the guy has an unreal knack for getting it right with signings and things like that.

The frustrating thing is the club were sure this was going to be water tight so the leak has probably come from Hopkin.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yeah the guy has an unreal knack for getting it right with signings and things like that.

The frustrating thing is the club were sure this was going to be water tight so the leak has probably come from Hopkin.

I've been convinced for a while Burns has bugged every boardroom in the country, FWIW. The scope of the stories he breaks is too large for any other explanation. 

I’ve got a sneaking suspicion it won’t be hopkin! Just my gut telling me it’s not him. I was listening to Levien on bbc and a few things he said just made me think
I missed it. What was Levien saying to it?