Next Ayr United manager

Hopkin is a bit meh.

He ticks all the boxes of experienced (didn't want a first time manager), managed at this level and above (so know the teams and players round about us), and won promotion to the top league. I think I would have preferred Petrie or S McCall, but will be behind Hopkin and will give him a chance.

19 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Hopkin is a bit meh.

He ticks all the boxes of experienced (didn't want a first time manager), managed at this level and above (so know the teams and players round about us), and won promotion to the top league. I think I would have preferred Petrie or S McCall, but will be behind Hopkin and will give him a chance.

This, he wouldn't necessarily have been my first choice either. The chairman obviously believes he's the right man and as such I'll back Hoppy. Also, let's remember some of the charlatans we've appointed previously or from within the club. This is progress. 

32 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

This, he wouldn't necessarily have been my first choice either. The chairman obviously believes he's the right man and as such I'll back Hoppy. Also, let's remember some of the charlatans we've appointed previously or from within the club. This is progress. 

It's obviously hard for us because we haven't interviewed him, so I think people are being a bit unfair. If you look at his statistics at Livingston they are excellent, and subsequently much poorer (although his record at Morton was still better than Kerr's). Morton fans rightly point out the terrible signings and that surely had to have been a question during the interview that he presumably answered to the satisfaction of Smith.

But we cannot say that his successes at Livingston were all due to other people, while his failures at Morton were all his fault - that clearly is not reasonable.

I think we all need to trust the chairman and board to have interviewed rigorously. At least we'll know by September whether he has repeated the signing mistakes made at Morton!

Martindale seems to get a lot of the credit at Livingston but if you look at their form since he took over as manager...well it isn't exactly brilliant. 

All Hopkin needs to do this season is to keep us up and then have a go at the playoffs in 2021/22.

McCall had Ayr playing football that was good to watch without going long, the games we came unstuck the most were against teams like Inverness and Ross County were they had large players up against Docherty, Forrest and Moffat. 

I don’t think that it is true that we need to be ugly in this league to succeed. Maybe the pitch isn’t up to flowing football but I’d rather watch football on the deck with Moffat and McCowan rather than shelling balls to Wright 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Either he was approached and said he wasn’t interested or he never applied.

Glad he's atleast got a new contract out of it. Nothing unusual in the manager interview. 

Usual stuff being covered; Great fans, great team, wants to stamp his own approach on it, will work the guys hard in training etc. Listening to David Smith afterwards he's absolutely sold on him. Said there was a mix of experience and younger names applying.