Next Ayr United manager

3 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Petrie is the outstanding candidate if you ask me. If he’s in any way interesting you should be appointing him. If we’re looking at a joke appointment though it’s Alan Stubbs for me.

Petrie would struggle to attract any players from the central belt he is based up north

West of Scotland boss has a better chance of attracting players from Glasgow 

And the road Ayrshire player that has slipped through the net of Killie or Renftrewshire player St Mirren or Morton haven't tied up

44 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Yes ideally an experienced respected manager to come in for the rest of the season to steady the ship while the board makes plans for a long term appointee next season. Don't really like the idea of jumping straight into a new manager the now but I'm not overly confident with the interim team at the moment and you only have to look at who we play on Saturday to see how that's going for them.

No .... this appointment needs to be the guy that’s going to be here next season , this is the guy who needs to get players signed up for next season , 

Right now, I think we need experience, Duffy had a sticky spell with Morton at this level, Murray struggled at this level. 
McIntyre hasn’t been linked with a job since he applied for the Ayr job the last time.

I can’t say I know to much about Petrie. Hopkin was suspect at Morton in strange circumstances but did well with Livi.

of the names mentioned so far, I think Craig Levin is about the only one I’d be confident could get us out this mess with zero gamble 

Petrie would struggle to attract any players from the central belt he is based up north
West of Scotland boss has a better chance of attracting players from Glasgow 
And the road Ayrshire player that has slipped through the net of Killie or Renftrewshire player St Mirren or Morton haven't tied up

Why would he struggle to attract players?

He won’t be based up north if he’s Ayr manager.

Right now, I think we need experience, Duffy had a sticky spell with Morton at this level, Murray struggled at this level. 
McIntyre hasn’t been linked with a job since he applied for the Ayr job the last time.
I can’t say I know to much about Petrie. Hopkin was suspect at Morton in strange circumstances but did well with Livi.
of the names mentioned so far, I think Craig Levin is about the only one I’d be confident could get us out this mess with zero gamble 

McIntyre was interviewed for the Killie job I’m sure.

Petrie is my pick if we’re looking to build a good team beyond this season. However if we’re only focussing on staying up then Duffy or McIntyre for me.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Heard it said many times that part time managers from the east struggle when they come over to the west. There seems to be a core of players over there who are of a good level ,happy playing part time and don't travel far. A lot of managers like to take previous players or others they know well to their new club. Dick Campbell at Partick was a good example of this not working. out.  That's not to say Petrie would be the same but don't know enough about the Montrose team or situation there

I wasn't a huge fan of Duffy at Morton but there was no actual 'sticky spell' prior to him leaving. The team just wasn't going anywhere higher under his watch and so the club simply tried to upgrade on him with McKinnon in the close season to try and make a credible challenge for the play-offs again. Which worked out terrifically for everyone involved, but was still better than Duffy giving it the 'we can't possibly compete' line and wanting a parade thrown for finishing 7th every season. 

He'd probably keep Ayr out of danger this season as there are at least two poorer squads in the division but won't pull up any trees in future campaigns. 

Edited by vikingTON

2 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Heard it said many times that part time managers from the east struggle when they come over to the west. There seems to be a core of players over there who are of a good level ,happy playing part time and don't travel far. A lot of managers like to take previous players or others they know well to their new club. Dick Campbell at Partick was a good example of this not working. out.  That's not to say Petrie would be the same but don't know enough about the Montrose team or situation there

He’d be coming from Montrose, no Mongolia.

23 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Becouse players might not want to play for him given the choice of going somewhere else with Glaswegian coaches and players they knew and have grown up bill with

And given the chance would go and play for another team that fits that bill

I doubt the players he has want to car pool to training to play for Ayr United

It's bad enough car pooling from Glasgow players are lazy and would only be interested if the money was in it for them

And we know it won't be cos every penny is a prisoner at Ayr especially with ground maintenance 

Becouse players might not want to play for him given the choice of going somewhere else with Glaswegian coaches and players they knew and have grown up bill with
It's bad enough car pooling from Glasgow players are lazy and would only be interested if the money was in it for them
And we know it won't be cos every penny is a prisoner at Ayr especially with ground maintenance 

Yup just as I thought. You’re really not worth listening to.

Goodnight.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yup just as I thought. You’re really not worth listening to.

Goodnight.

Being involved in football and trying to get players from Glasgow to go to Ayrshire teams I know this

And I also know there is a bus that leaves Glasgow with players heading north to first and second division teams but it never lasts

Same players cant be bothered and go lowland or pyramid nearer there homes

6 minutes ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Give it to Bill then.

Montrose boys are based in Edinburgh and Kircaldy and Dundee that is a serious amount of driving for training in this covid world

Ayr has had one or two loans from Hearts over the years were someone from club ferried them two and through back and forward

It never lasted obviously becouse that would have been ridiculous chances are they never trained twice a week either with 1st team maybe just the once 

Montrose boys are based in Edinburgh and Kircaldy and Dundee that is a serious amount of driving for training in this covid world
Ayr has had one or two loans from Hearts over the years were someone from club ferried them two and through back and forward
It never lasted obviously becouse that would have been ridiculous chances are they never trained twice a week either with 1st team maybe just the once 
Sorry but I don't get what your talking about here? Just because we might get a manager that's been at Montrose doest mean he's only be going to sign players from the east coast

Just now, Rodders1910 said:
4 minutes ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Sorry but I don't get what your talking about here? Just because we might get a manager that's been at Montrose doest mean he's only be going to sign players from the east coast

I never said he would read the post

I said if the Glasgow Paisley Ayrshire players last part is quite funny might chhose to play for a gaffer somewhere else that actually knows them 

Which will be the case but hey crack on if he is the main target it will only end in abject failure 

My thread was right on this clearly

Glaswegian hating Ayr United