How Do We Solve a Problem Like Obesity?

39 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I used to make shakes/smoothies with fruit, oats, peanut butter and protein powder when I was trying to bulk up, roughly 1100 calories a shake. 

They served the purpose but it was truly fucking miserable trying to eat more than your body wants, and they were the worst bit of it tbh.

My problem I have is I have tried this. I dont like it. Granted this is all my doing that if I put my mind too it I may get over 10 stone. Do like cardio however 🙂

2 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

How much difference does a diet drink make to a big mac meal? 

I'm not convinced the choice of beverage is a significant factor in the morbidly obese. 

Same price but you have to pay extra for a milkshake.

3 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

How much difference does a diet drink make to a big mac meal? 

I'm not convinced the choice of beverage is a significant factor in the morbidly obese. 

Large Big Mac Meal calories

Burger - 508 calories

Large Fries - 444 calories

Large Coke - 212 calories / Large diet coke - 1 calorie

Total - 1164 / 953

An 18% reduction in calories.  I'm sure it'd be significant if you drink a lot of fizzy drinks.  Of course, either meal isn't exactly optimal for health but once in a while won't hurt.

49 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The vast majority of People are somewhere in the middle between “stuffing their face with doughnuts” and running 10k a day.

They're certainly tipping the scale in one direction, given that nearly two-thirds of the population are fatties.

If you’re used to being relatively inactive and eat say 2500 calories a day and are in balance at 30 and your metabolism drops by 10% over two decades (which is perfectly feasible) the with 250 calorie excess a day they’ll end up putting on about 3 stone a year. So many obese 50 year olds probably just haven’t adapted by cutting out a bar of chocolate and are obese because of a change in metabolism.

Well no, they're obese because they ignored the easily visible signs that say 'hang on, the output seems to be changing here, time to start exercising more/eating fewer chips'.

Nobody wakes up one morning and suddenly finds that they're obese. When the circumstances change, personal behaviour has to change as well. 

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

They're certainly tipping the scale in one direction, given that nearly two-thirds of the population are fatties.

Well no, they're obese because they ignored the easily visible signs that say 'hang on, the output seems to be changing here, time to start exercising more/eating fewer chips'.

Nobody wakes up one morning and suddenly finds that they're obese. When the circumstances change, personal behaviour has to change as well. 

You're obviously loving the hyperbole of that 2/3 figure. That's mostly people who are "overweight" and not obese and who most people (apart from rude sanctimonious people who have obviously been cuckolded by a fatty) would not call fatties. 

Changing metabolism and failing to adapt are not mutually exclusive. Metabolism is clearly a very important part of a complex picture and not a mimor variable. 

You're obviously right about everything even when you're obviously wrong so crack on with thinking that there's an easy solution and everyone else is just too thick to grasp it. 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Large Big Mac Meal calories

Burger - 508 calories

Large Fries - 444 calories

Large Coke - 212 calories / Large diet coke - 1 calorie

Total - 1164 / 953

An 18% reduction in calories.  I'm sure it'd be significant if you drink a lot of fizzy drinks.  Of course, either meal isn't exactly optimal for health but once in a while won't hurt.

I used to have a McDonald's once a fortnight when we visited our former foster son, and took him out. I usually had one of the chicken options, not keen on their burgers.

If I had a choice I'd have a Burger King.

A Kentucky now and again goes down a treat.

But my take away of choice would still be a fish supper. Loved an Indian, haven't had one for over a year, used to pick one up when I was collecting the rest of the family's Chineses.

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

It's not a minor variable, it's a very important variable and resting /base levels can vary wildly, by at least 20% and up to 30-40% between otherwise similar people and by far more with differing age, sex and bmis. 

That means that two people who are otherwise similar can eat exactly the same and one lose weight while the other gains. When i was a student my flatmate ate the same as me, which should have been enough to gain weight (lunchtime specials of a half pizza supper for £1 most day). He remained skinny as a rake despite topping up with those bodybuilder shakes. 

One factor that decreases base metabolism is body fat, so ironically a fat person can eat the same as or even a bit less than a slim person of the same weight and still put on more weight. 

It's not the only or main factor but it's a very important variable. 

My mate is the same height as me and trim enough, while I am rapidly approaching blob status. Whenever we're together he eats more than me, always have done. He's less active than I am. I think the two differences are metabolism - I pay a heavy price for being a couple of hundred calories over every day while he does not, and he occasionally skips lunch or dinner because he's working or out with folk while I'll always have dinner with my family.

My wife is a great cook, which doesn't do me any favours on the old blubber front.

I think you're right that minor variables make a big difference, especially at population level.

Someone mentioned a few pages back that it's an evolutionary thing. We still live in stone age bodies and the urge to eat when food is available is as fundamental as anything. Food is always at the back of my mind and when it's on offer I find it hard to ignore. I hate going to a meeting with a plate of biscuits on the table because there's always a wee voice in my head saying "you've had one and nobody has had two so you better not take another one, but two's not a lot so nobody will care, but if you have a second one now you're going to want another before the meeting is over and that's not cool so why not hold off, but I really want it..."

It's just the way my head is wired. But in the long dark winter in the cave I'm going to be fine while you skinny fkers are going to freeze to death.

24 minutes ago, GordonS said:

My mate is the same height as me and trim enough, while I am rapidly approaching blob status. Whenever we're together he eats more than me, always have done. He's less active than I am. I think the two differences are metabolism - I pay a heavy price for being a couple of hundred calories over every day while he does not, and he occasionally skips lunch or dinner because he's working or out with folk while I'll always have dinner with my family.

My wife is a great cook, which doesn't do me any favours on the old blubber front.

I think you're right that minor variables make a big difference, especially at population level.

Missing meals on a regular basis, particularly breakfast, is counter-productive as your body thinks there is a famine on and starts saving/ producing fat. 

At least that's what I heard. 

18 hours ago, GordonS said:

It's both. I crave comfort food like chocolate and crisps but I'll try to buy myself off with toast or oatcakes & cheese. Last year we started storing the snacks under our bed so that I can't get them when my wife is asleep (and so that it's just that wee bit more effort to get something during the day). My food urges increase and my will power decreases as the night goes on, and as I can't sleep until I'm exhausted the night can be pretty long. I've always been someone that really, really likes their food but when I'm in a decent mood I can control it. Not now.

I know that eating one Cadbury's mini roll isn't going to kill me and that not eating it isn't going to make me any healthier, so too often my short-term urge to eat it will exceed my rational long-term desire to be healthy.

Sounds like a hellish cycle - not good when it's getting to the stage of storing snacks under the bed.

Getting some better sleep would help - I don't know how you go about doing this. Drinking less caffeine, and drinking none at all after 6pm is one thing. Listen to a sleep story before bed? My missus loves them, I think they're shite but some people think they are great for nodding off.

To change your eating habits a big part of it comes down to will power. You could start by replacing what you snack on just now with low calorie and low sugar options. Instead of cadbury's, have a low calorie cake bar like a Fibre One. Eat low fat "light" cheese and have them with rice cakes instead of oatcakes.  Drink skimmed milk. If the stuff you are eating just now is high fat and high sugar you should try to replace everything with the lower calorie stuff.

Have you got a fitbit? I would recommend one, they are good for tracking your daily calorie intake vs calorie burn. Recording stuff you eat is a piece of piss and you'll be able to tell during the day when you are close to slipping into a calorie surplus. It might help you to think - right I've had my lot today. Even if you aren't exercising, you burn calories during the day anyway through normal activity.

Making these changes to your diet and watching what you're eating are small steps which over time will start to make a difference. Then of course there is exercise but your daily routine doesn't seem to allow for that just now. Key thing just now is to change what you eat. Eating shite all the time makes you feel like shite so that in my mind suggests if you eat a bit better, you will feel better and it might help give you that boost you need to do a little exercise.

Another thing - drink loads of water. Start every morning with a pint of water, down the fucker. And aim for at 2 litres every day. Helps you feel full.

This is not expert advice btw 😄 just all friendly suggestions which may help...

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Missing meals on a regular basis, particularly breakfast, is counter-productive as your body thinks there is a famine on and starts saving/ producing fat. 

At least that's what I heard. 

Seems to work for my mate but I doubt it would work for me.