Future progression and development of the WOSFL

I might be missing something really obvious here, but what is the reasoning behind new applicants not being eligible for promotion from whatever conference they get placed in when they join ?

Is it just to avoid teams with allegedly "dodgy" money streams buying their way into tier six in one season or is it something else ?

The original 67 clubs who joined last season were all given the option to sit out season 2020-21 with the promise that they would be allowed back in at the same level in 2021-22 and not have any competitive disadvantage. Some teams chose to take up that option.

Therefore it is felt that, when the tiered league system is introduced for 2022-23, the original 67 clubs must take priority in how these leagues are formed based on their performances.

18 minutes ago, glensmad said:

The original 67 clubs who joined last season were all given the option to sit out season 2020-21 with the promise that they would be allowed back in at the same level in 2021-22 and not have any competitive disadvantage. Some teams chose to take up that option.

Therefore it is felt that, when the tiered league system is introduced for 2022-23, the original 67 clubs must take priority in how these leagues are formed based on their performances.

Which in my view is wrong, for many reasons

If for, say 5 new teams join then I take it they will be spread across the 3 conference leagues ?

If one of the new clubs win their conference division, its going to be really, really embarrassing for the WOSFL and everyone outside looking in will be thinking its all a fix in that WOSFL league.
I think whoever the 5 new clubs are, I'm positive that they have went through shite as well this season with not playing.  I do admit now I get why leagues like the SPFL 2 vote the way they did to stop promotion and relegation from their league, as in looking after themselves, its the same all over.  Now wonder we take 2 steps back in Scottish football after taking one step forward.  Again my view, but that's me being objective and not being connected to a club

So if a club wins a conference division, does anyone know which division the new team will they enter, not the premier with this new ruling.  will they go into the championship, 1st or 2nd division ?,
Season 22/23 supposed to have 16 in premier, so what will the other divisions have ?

Sorry if I've missed  a post which has this details
Thanks all

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

The flip side to that is if we didn't have a pandemic then we would have linear leagues for 2021/22 so any new clubs would be joining at the bottom anyway.

It would look a bit daft if eg Harthill finish 2nd in a conference and end up in a league below the sides that finished bottom of the conferences.

2 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Which in my view is wrong, for many reasons

If for, say 5 new teams join then I take it they will be spread across the 3 conference leagues ?

If one of the new clubs win their conference division, its going to be really, really embarrassing for the WOSFL and everyone outside looking in will be thinking its all a fix in that WOSFL league.
I think whoever the 5 new clubs are, I'm positive that they have went through shite as well this season with not playing.  I do admit now I get why leagues like the SPFL 2 vote the way they did to stop promotion and relegation from their league, as in looking after themselves, its the same all over.  Now wonder we take 2 steps back in Scottish football after taking one step forward.  Again my view, but that's me being objective and not being connected to a club

So if a club wins a conference division, does anyone know which division the new team will they enter, not the premier with this new ruling.  will they go into the championship, 1st or 2nd division ?,
Season 22/23 supposed to have 16 in premier, so what will the other divisions have ?

Sorry if I've missed  a post which has this details
Thanks all

Clubs/members could just vote not to allow new teams in this season.

42 minutes ago, parkcircus said:

Clubs/members could just vote not to allow new teams in this season.

It is a real shame that it is unlikely there will be enough teams to form a bottom tier “Development Division” for next season. There would be a way around the problem by permitting Reserve sides in the Development Division on the strict understanding that no progression would be available for Reserve sides to the other Tiers. However, the inclusion of Reserve sides, even from the Lowland League clubs, could be an unpopular move.

Harthill appear to be taking a big chance by not also applying to the EOSFL to cover themselves if there is a possibility that WOSFL clubs could vote to postpone accepting new clubs for the new season (with the proviso that new clubs may enter the league in 2022/23 in the bottom tier).

30 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

It is a real shame that it is unlikely there will be enough teams to form a bottom tier “Development Division” for next season. There would be a way around the problem by permitting Reserve sides in the Development Division on the strict understanding that no progression would be available for Reserve sides to the other Tiers. However, the inclusion of Reserve sides, even from the Lowland League clubs, could be an unpopular move.

Harthill appear to be taking a big chance by not also applying to the EOSFL to cover themselves if there is a possibility that WOSFL clubs could vote to postpone accepting new clubs for the new season (with the proviso that new clubs may enter the league in 2022/23 in the bottom tier).

Is there not also a possibility that they could vote to reject Harthill because they're in West Lothian?

15 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

Is there not also a possibility that they could vote to reject Harthill because they're in West Lothian?

Someone from the WOS said in the "Down the divisions" podcast that Harthill is the only exception as they represent a Lanarkshire town even though their ground is located in WL.

The latest article which provides an insight into the positive direction that the WOSFL are heading:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/west-scotland-league-worth-wait-23785731

Five applications have already been lodged including one from Harmony Row Youth Club, one of Scotland’s most revered community clubs.”

Boyd believes no club should be denied the chance to realise their ambitions and wouldn’t be against seeing an extra division tagged on to the WoSFL in years to come to accommodate teams.

“There is criteria clubs have to meet to enter at tier nine which all our member clubs currently meet, he added. “But we could possibly look at a Tier 10 which would allow a bit more room for manoeuvre albeit it would be promotion tied unless teams could demonstrate that they could make the improvements required to step up.“

Twitter news likely to follow:

Edited by Pyramidic

4 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I think we need to establish exactly where the ground is.

The ground lies exactly 45 yards inside the West Lothian council.
Although houses beyond the ground further in West Lothian for 200 yards have an ML postcode.
The street beside the park at the boundary which is west Lothian do not have the snow ploughs clear the street from west Lothian but Lanarkshire Council.
The family across the side street from the front gate of Harthill phoned West Lothian council to get a new bin and was told they have to contact Lanarkshire council.

Its just a mess and to be honest Harthill should be allowed in as the boundary is utter chaos and so close and Harthill are 2 miles closer West than Forth Wanderers

5 hours ago, Pyramidic said:

Is there a cut off date for new teams to apply to the WOSFL

When is the date for acceptance into the league. When will teams be notified and then i take it we will all see the public announcement after

9 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Is there a cut off date for new teams to apply to the WOSFL

When is the date for acceptance into the league. When will teams be notified and then i take it we will all see the public announcement after

31st March is meant to be the deadline, same as the EoSFL. 

If it works like the EoSFL, there will be a meeting to vote a couple of weeks later. 

That way there's time to receive dues to make it official and allow formatting options to be known in advance of the AGM. 

I think that the new teams joining the WOSFL (possibly 5) should do so on the basis that it is a “probationary” first season in the Division 1 Conferences after which they will compete in the bottom tier for the 2022/23 season.

However, I feel an exception should be made for Harthill as they are a recognised semi-professional football club and not a “starter” outfit. I suggest that a special case should be made for them even though I would much prefer to see them join the EOSFL.

21 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

I think that the new teams joining the WOSFL (possibly 5) should do so on the basis that it is a “probationary” first season in the Division 1 Conferences after which they will compete in the bottom tier for the 2022/23 season.

However, I feel an exception should be made for Harthill as they are a recognised semi-professional football club and not a “starter” outfit. I suggest that a special case should be made for them even though I would much prefer to see them join the EOSFL.

Applying to the league means accepting their rules, no?

Correct, NO exceptions to any club, accept the rules or don't join up. Maybe the WOSFL can grow to have another division for the new clubs to join, then progress naturally.  Are there any rules where teams finishing 1st will have to accept promotions  in the future ? We've had many occasions down south where champions don't want to move upwards for varying reasons.

2 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

The ground lies exactly 45 yards inside the West Lothian council.
Although houses beyond the ground further in West Lothian for 200 yards have an ML postcode.
The street beside the park at the boundary which is west Lothian do not have the snow ploughs clear the street from west Lothian but Lanarkshire Council.
The family across the side street from the front gate of Harthill phoned West Lothian council to get a new bin and was told they have to contact Lanarkshire council.

Its just a mess and to be honest Harthill should be allowed in as the boundary is utter chaos and so close and Harthill are 2 miles closer West than Forth Wanderers

Does the flute band walk in the east or the west?