Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?   

283 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm going to add in my 2 cents here. It's not trolling it's my honest opinion...

I lived in Aberdeen for about 5 years. Never liked the place. Disliked the granite, disliked the weather, disliked the local landscape, disliked the layout of the town, disliked the accent. If anyone is wondering, I lived in the fairly posh(ish) part of town too, not down Tory or Tilly. At the time I lived there the oil boom was very much still on the go and it was full of arrogant incomers from South of the border and the States, creating a social divide between haves and have nots. Not that the locals have any real say on who comes into their town - and I suppose I was one of those incomers.

Now, that said, the locals themselves, I found alright. I've lived some places where everyone seemed an absolute c**t (Folkestone, being an absolute prime example!) and it's all about opinion, of course - I'm sure some people love the things I hated about the place. - but given the choice, I'd never move back up there.

Anyway... I got sidetracked, after seeing people commenting on the town... what I really wanted to post was about a Glass/Brown "dream ticket". If Cormack is looking to do things on the cheap, which is certainly the rumour, he's definitely going about it the right way. An untried manager and an untried assistant manager can't cost much, especially if one of them is doing a mate's rates. As for Brown as a player, he might have a couple of years left in him, out of the goldfish bowl of the OF, but you feel he'd be a liability, both from his own temper and not having the protection from the referees like he did in a Celtic top, and from other players targetting him for a similar reason.

Edited by Ric

30 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Has anyone told Scott Brown he might get booked in an Aberdeen shirt.

Part of his terms will be that gets to continue wearing the Celtic strip, the players do the huddle at the start of every game & that they learn to do that up & down arm thing for whenever we get a significant result.

11 hours ago, CCB19035 said:

Ugly? With all of our shimmering medieval architecture? Or our gorgeous beaches?

All our cities have their up and downsides. I like all of them, in their own way. Spent plenty of time in all of them, too. 

It's all rooted in jealousy that we've got the oil. It always has been. 

Aberdeen is absolutely fine. 

....or should that be ile (available on large tax dodging online retailer) ?

image.png.c993c60b86dd4fba99a772bf42233399.png

21 minutes ago, G51 said:

I always thought the greatest concentration of offshore workers were, in order:

1) Aberdonians 2) Glaswegians 3) Smoggies 4) Geordies 5) Mackems 6) Highlanders

On my admittedly infrequent trips offshore, Look North is switched on ahead of Reporting Scotland. It's like bloody Auf Wiedersehen Pet has gone from a hut in Dusseldorf to the Scottish sector of the UKCS.

I think a larger amount of Aberdonians work onshore or on overseas assignments more than the offshore North Sea (albeit many still do).

Upon his arrival, Cormack outlined his desire for Aberdeen to adopt his philosophy of attacking football with a focus on promoting youth players into the first team. McInnes' approach was pragmatic and cautious while opting for experience over youth. He was a goner the moment Cormack entered the building.

There are several interviews with Glass that highlight and discuss his reputation for producing and promoting good youth talent to the Atlanta first team. Glass also has a preference towards setting his sides up to attack. Supposedly a very good coach but his record as interim/reserve manager is certainly not very flattering. 

I've no idea what Brown's coaching credentials are however he has played and captained in a number of strong Celtic sides and has been coached by several good Celtic managers - Rodgers being the standout. He'd at least command respect from the players and instill a winners mentality throughout the squad - something that has evaded Aberdeen for far too long.

Irrespective of who is ultimately appointed the Aberdeen manager, the prospect of Allan Russell appearing in the North East is very exciting. He is often praised for his coaching contributions with England by Southgate. His primary focus is coaching strikers and set-pieces - both of which we have been exceptionally poor at over the last 3 years.

As for Sven, I'm all for him being the Director of Football. A genuinely nice guy who would bring a wealth of knowledge and array of global contacts that would assist Glass. Sven, alongside Brown and Russell would help attract a decent calibre of player that I'm not sure Glass could.

All fantasy novel stuff but I'm desperately trying to be optimistic.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

11 hours ago, CCB19035 said:

Ugly? With all of our shimmering medieval architecture? Or our gorgeous beaches?

All our cities have their up and downsides. I like all of them, in their own way. Spent plenty of time in all of them, too. 

It's all rooted in jealousy that we've got the oil. It always has been. 

Aberdeen is absolutely fine. 

If anything this is why its seen by many as Scotlands shittest city. You would think it would be alot better than it is for all the oil companies and the high wages that came with it. But in reality  its just more posh looking cars driving about grey building after grey building. 
Having lived there I didn’t mind the place but given winter can be pretty depressing in any place in Scotland the soulless grey of Aberdeen just adds to that 10 fold.

Edited by gannonball

1 hour ago, CCB19035 said:

Funny you say that cause I actually process guys going offshore every day, many of which are from the central belt or the north east of England. 

Euphemism?

I always find the 'your town's a shithole' chat a bit tedious, tbh*. Nearly everyone's town's a shithole from certain angles. We can't all live in York or Bath. I've lived in South Shields for over six years and have been to the town centre about five times. The beaches and clifftops and green spaces are where it's really at.

* Acutely aware of my username at this point. Yes, I've got you whacked in shit town top trumps.

9 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

As for Sven, I'm all for him being the Director of Football. A genuinely nice guy who would bring a wealth of knowledge and array of global contacts that would assist Glass. Sven, alongside Brown and Russell would help attract a decent calibre of player that I'm not sure Glass could.

While I don't think this will ever happen - it sells newspapers/gets clicks -  I don't have much optimism that he'd be active or involved enough at his age/stage in his career. Just another Craig Brown - a nice face to have around and have a few drinks with sponsors and tell a few stories.

Funny you say that cause I actually process guys going offshore every day, many of which are from the central belt or the north east of England. 

You're probably after a bite but you're havering shite either way. 

You are probably right about the offshore thing tbf.

I was over exaggerating. The shire is decent. Union street is a coup though. I actually didnt mind aberdeen as i am married with kids. I wouldnt like to be a young single guy in aberdeen as nightlife is average.

So overall aberdeen probably is the worst city to live in scotland when compared to the likes of edinburgh etc

A lot of aberdonians are miserable as well

Edited to add. Aberdeen seemed like it felt it didnt need to do anything to attract people to the city as it had oil. This was probably true. As the oil begins to run down/ be faded out, it will be interesting to see what happens and how they will attract people to the city

It should  be noted that Aberdonians voted for this odious cûnt, granted Aberdeen South contains the farmers around Cults and Peterculter, but it also includes a fucking huge chunk of the city too.

QSRa5Mo.jpg

Edited by Ric