Kilmarnock memories - What a ride!

Meadowbank being 2-1 down at half time at Rugby Park, getting it back to 2-2. Me, having had a famous Killie pie, going back to the stall to see if there were any left and missing Ian Little's winner in a 3-2 win.

The pie stall was shut too...

JS36313544.jpg

Easter Road May '94, last game of the first season back up. 6000 away fans see us survive by the skin of our teeth.

Back then I certainly wouldn't have thought Killie would remain a top flight club until the 2020s!

The cup replay in Perth when Tommy's Burns I think, might have been Billy Stark, but certainly that era, lobbed the keeper and the ball was going into the empty net when it bounced just in front of the line and bizarrely went up over the bar.  Sure the highlights were on sportscene but I don't think I've seen it since. It was a big talking point at the time it just looked such a freak occurrence as I remember it.

6 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

The cup replay in Perth when Tommy's Burns I think, might have been Billy Stark, but certainly that era, lobbed the keeper and the ball was going into the empty net when it bounced just in front of the line and bizarrely went up over the bar.  Sure the highlights were on sportscene but I don't think I've seen it since. It was a big talking point at the time it just looked such a freak occurrence as I remember it.

It was Burns, sure we got a goal incorrectly chopped off as well. Sportscene kindly caught me laughing like a right spanner in a crowd shot that night, mustard yellow tracksuit top, what was I thinking.

My other one would be the second last game of the season in the late 90's with killie and Saints in a battle for third. An injury ravaged Saints team managed a 1-1 draw which left it in our own hands. A crowd of 16,000 at rugby park for a killie v Saints league game with a travelling support of 2-3000.

Then the following season travelling alongside some Killie fans on the same flights and bus in Paris as we went to Monaco and they were going to Nice I think it was.

We'll always have the memories but it's the right time to say farewell.

Bobby Fleeting announces plans for the rebuild of Rugby Park. 

The stadium is too big, we all know that now, and we’ve squeezed in too many seats too tight but at the time I would assume that this was then 4th best football ground in the country (even though Pittodrie had a larger capacity).

19 hours ago, Lurkst said:

As my mate said at the time "was he trying to lob the Eiffel Tower?"

He did put a fair bit of height on it to be fair! 😀

Be interested to hear Jock Brown’s take on it if it wasn’t an old firm legend missing a practically open goal. “A tremendous piece of midfield play” where only the firmness of the pitch stopped him from scoring might be described a bit differently.

After surviving our first season thanks to that famous last day away day at Easter Road in May 94 the following August saw what I believe was my own first ever away game (not that I have many memories other than being on the packed terracing) and this 2-0 defeat to Partick Thistle.

Worth a watch for the attempt by Gerry Collins to get round a touchline ban.

That game was one of the first after Tommy Burns had left to take the Celtic job, more on that later.

Edited by Sortmeout

On 13/03/2021 at 14:16, Lurkst said:

JS36313544.jpg

Easter Road May '94, last game of the first season back up. 6000 away fans see us survive by the skin of our teeth.

Back then I certainly wouldn't have thought Killie would remain a top flight club until the 2020s!

I was at that game.  Hugely impressed by the big Kilmarnock support that day who backed their team from start to finish and  deserved their point that kept them up.

I absolutely hate that plastic park.

I will miss: The Tartan Sheep, Fanny by Gaslight, Brass & Granite, The Garage with the bowling and the wimpy. 
I went to a bar called the Loudoun Arms and sang Zombie by the cranberries on karaoke absolutely steaming. I just assumed it was a Rangers bar cos the name.

I have a good mate lives in Killie and it's always been a great trip and I have a good few folk I consider friends who support Killie. 

Other than the pitch I will be gutted if they go down, it's just far away enough to seem a decent away day but close enough yer not really far away.