Scotland v Austria

Quite surprised they haven't moved it when it seems like plenty of other matches across Europe, both international and club, have been moved. Brilliant for us though, always better to have the opposition weakened.  If we picked up 9 from these fixtures, we'll be in a brilliant position in both the group and going into the Euros.  Then we can go to Copenhagen (or wherever) in September and knock f**k out of those Bacon-munching c***s.

10 minutes ago, forameus said:

Quite surprised they haven't moved it when it seems like plenty of other matches across Europe, both international and club, have been moved. Brilliant for us though, always better to have the opposition weakened.  If we picked up 9 from these fixtures, we'll be in a brilliant position in both the group and going into the Euros.  Then we can go to Copenhagen (or wherever) in September and knock f**k out of those Bacon-munching c***s.

Austria had the option to move it by swapping with the fixture in September, but decided they wanted the crowd in for that one instead of having their full squad to choose from for this one. Which seems like a curious decision to me.

Just now, craigkillie said:

Austria had the option to move it by swapping with the fixture in September, but decided they wanted the crowd in for that one instead of having their full squad to choose from for this one. Which seems like a curious decision to me.

That's a baws-oot move, but fair enough. Guess if they get a positive result at Hampden it'll look a good, brave one, particularly if we have another crumbling away performance later in the year.  But they're going to be missing a lot of players...

23 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Maybe they think they don't need those players to beat us.

They also might have fancied the chance to play at an empty Hampden instead of a full one. Whether it's deserved I'm not sure, but we have a reputation of being hard to beat in front of our own fans.

Probably

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I'm going to take it as the insult I know it isn't and assume they think they can beat us with a 2nd XI. Now I'm mad and raring to go.

Finances could play a part too. Played with a decent sized crowd they would turnover €1m+ at home.
There were also reports that Leipzig & Monchengladbach would have to pay £1m+ each in compensation to Liverpool & Man City for moving their CL home games to a neutral venue.

17 hours ago, GordonS said:

Maybe they think they don't need those players to beat us.

They also might have fancied the chance to play at an empty Hampden instead of a full one. Whether it's deserved I'm not sure, but we have a reputation of being hard to beat in front of our own fans.

Was our last full crowd against England?

We could only muster 25k at home to Belgium who were no.1 in the world and although most fans go to watch their own team but with guys like De Bruyne and Lukaku on show you'd think they'd help boost the crowd. Not sure we would beat that crowd against Austria unless it was on a Saturday but this is another Thursday night game.

18 minutes ago, ahemps said:

We could only muster 25k at home to Belgium who were no.1 in the world and although most fans go to watch their own team but with guys like De Bruyne and Lukaku on show you'd think they'd help boost the crowd. Not sure we would beat that crowd against Austria unless it was on a Saturday but this is another Thursday night game.

I think qualifying for the Euros, pent-up desire caused by the lockdown and the much improved pricing of late will have a big impact on attendances. The play-off semi-final against Israel sold out quite quickly, just a shame we couldn't be there in the end.

33 minutes ago, ahemps said:

We were already out when we played Belgium - it was a dead rubber.

54 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

We were already out when we played Belgium - it was a dead rubber.

We played Russia and Belgium 4 days apart in the 5th and 6th games of a 10 game group. Russia had lost 1 before this round and us 2 so we were not out of qualifying in the lead up to this but these two losses certainly confirmed we were to be. The tickets would have been sold in advance, had we beat Russia I'm sure we would have sold more for Belgium but we only sold 32k v Russia on a Friday night game in what was a tie against our challenger for 2nd place.

Austria have called up 43 players, 24 of which can travel to Scotland. Those include: 6 x LASK, 4 x Sturm Graz, 4 x Rapid Vienna, 3 x Salzburg and a mix from decent teams elsewhere across Europe.

Looking at the list, only three seem to have more than 10 caps (nobody over 20) . Having said that I don't think this is quite Czech C team territory.
1. They play at a higher standard. 2. They will have a lot longer to prepare (The Czechs only had two days IIRC). They seem to have a few decent goalscorers playing across Europe too.

Still, this is a game we should be looking to win fairly comfortably.

Germany removed the mandatory 14 day quarantine from UK travel yesterday apparently. Haven't seen anything in our papers but a few Austrian articles are suggesting they'll have their normal squad now. They'll find out today I think.
If you stuck money on Scotland because of the Austrian teams issues you might want to cash out now for a small profit.

Translation of one of those articles:

The Robert Koch Institute removed Great Britain from the list of virus-variant areas.
This means that the ÖFB can hope for the strongest eleven.Austria's national team will presumably be able to count on all of the professionals who played in Germany in the opening match of the World Cup qualifiers against Scotland in Glasgow on Thursday.
According to the Robert Koch Institute, Great Britain is no longer considered a virus-variant area as of Sunday, but "only" an area with an increased risk of Corona infection, as was announced on Friday evening. As a result, a 14-day quarantine is not necessary for the ÖFB kickers returning from Scotland to Germany, and thus the German clubs also lack the reason to deny their players the national team trip.
FIFA only releases clubs from the obligation to send their players if they have to undergo at least a five-day quarantine after country matches.
The ÖFB expects clarity in the course of Saturday as to whether all 19 nominated Germany legionnaires will actually be able to come.
Optimism is high. "The chance is much higher now," said ÖFB managing director Bernhard Neuhold.

Edited by charger29

Just now, charger29 said:

Germany removed the mandatory 14 day quarantine from UK travel yesterday apparently. Haven't seen anything in our papers but a few Austrian articles are suggesting they'll have their normal squad now. They'll find out today I think.
If you stuck money on Scotland because of the Austrian teams issues you might want to cash out now for a small profit.

Translation of one of those articles:

Im not sure how this works? 

If they have named their squad are they not stuck with it  bar injury replacements.

If so I can imagine they will get quite a few "injuries".