Scotland v Austria

It's a very difficult decision on whether to play McTominay at the back or in midfield.

He'd undoubtedly be more influential in midfield but our recent (relative) solidity has been  in part through his contribution to a settled back 3.

I wonder if as we get more comfortable with the system he could be given more license to break from the back when we are in possession. We tend to think of the wingbacks in any 3/5 at the back system as having license to get forward but could we mix it up on occasion with O'Donnell staying back and moving inside and McTominay surging forward for a late run in to the box or moving into midfield to retain possession? It would be risky if O'Donnell is on the wrong wavelength but very difficult for the opposition to defend against.

This is how I would line up. As much as Gallagher hasn't been playing for Motherwell recently, hard to ignore his past performances for Scotland. I'd move McTominay into midfield to try to replace Jack and I would play McGinn as the 8 and let Armstrong push on to support Dykes and Fraser.

I realise that Clarke won't drop McGregor but I would as bar Belgrade, he's barely performed in a Scotland shirt.

Got a bad feeling about tomorrow sadly. Scotland 1-2 Austria.Screenshot_20210324-175214_Chrome.jpeg

4 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I reckon it will be:

Marshall

O'Donnell McTominay Gallagher Tierney Robertson

McGregor McGinn McLean

Fraser Dykes

I reckon it will be this too - maybe with Adams for Dykes or Adams/Christie for Fraser.

4 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Mctominay is our best midfielder...surely to god we will play him there

He's probably also our second best centre-back - it's not as simple as folk are making it sound.

Think I'd go with this

20210325_082632.thumb.jpg.8cc30151462a4c178f6a9f0c79005f59.jpg

Hanley and Armstrong have been playing well for their clubs and only doubt for me is O'Donnell, he's been utter dugshite lately and if Austria use the left like they have been doing it could be a big night for O'Donnell and McTominay. 

That said I watched their game against North Ireland and Ali McCann showed up well against them in a narrow defeat, our midfield should be able to do a bit better.

I don’t think Gallagher can play the RCB role at this level tbh. Hardly played, and needs the protection offered to him in the middle where he can just header and kick things.

If Hendry has genuinely improved I think he is the alternative to McTominay. Right footed, plenty of pace and far better on the ball than the other options. Sure we’ll find out soon enough if he has improved though. 

According to Sky Sports Austria Cooper will be in the back three. 🤭

On Thursday, the ÖFB team will kick off the World Cup qualification for the 2022 finals in Qatar. Team principal Franco Foda's eleven meet Scotland in the venerable Hampden Park in Glasgow. In the opponent check we take a closer look at the “Bravehearts”.

The system

Under team boss Steve Clarke, Scotland has played mostly in a 3-5-2 system with a clear focus on the defensive. Before joining Scotland's national team, Clarke worked as an assistant at Chelsea under coach José Mourinho. In eight competitive games in 2020, Scotland never conceded more than one goal. Scotland always acts robustly in duels, acts a lot with long balls and tries to shift the game into the opposing half by capturing second balls.

The Scots have traditionally struggled offensive: in the past eight games they only scored more than one goal - in the 2-1 win against the Czech Republic in September. The “Bravehearts” ended the last international game year with two 0-1 defeats in the Nations League against Slovakia and Israel.

Goalkeeper

In goal, Clarke can fall back on three veterans with Craig Gordon (38 years), John McLaughlin (33) and David Marshall (36). Marshall, who became a hero for Scotland in the European Championship playoffs, when he saved the decisive penalty both in the playoff semifinals against Israel and in the final against Serbia and secured his first European Championship participation in 25 years, was recently in the lead. So far, the Scots have only participated in a European Championship finals twice. In 1992 and 1996 the preliminary round was over.

Marshall is currently under contract with Derby County in the English second division. Should ÖFB team goalkeeper Daniel Bachmann from Watford FC be in goal on Thursday, there would be a duel between two goalkeepers from the English Championship in this position.

Defence

Scotland's defensive line is also the showpiece of the team and consists largely of seasoned Premier League players. Arsenal professional Kieran Tierney, Leeds captain Liam Cooper and Scott McTominay from Manchester United should be expected in the back three in the defence centre. The 24-year-old is an indispensable regular in the Premier League table runner-up, but is in the middle of midfield at his club, unlike the national team.

The row of three is flanked on the right by Stephen O'Donnell (FC Motherwell), on the left Liverpool's Andrew Robertson - one of the best left-backs in the world - marches up and down the wing. In particular, the dynamic advances and dangerous flanks of the Liverpool defender must be prevented for the ÖFB team.

Midfield

In midfield, team boss Clarke has to do without an important player due to an injury against Austria. Ryan Jack, who played a central role in the first championship for the Glasgow Rangers since 2011 and is also normally seeded on the national team, is out with a persistent calf injury.

The duo around Stuart Armstrong from Hasenhüttl-Klub FC Southampton and John McGinn from Aston Villa's surprise team should start in midfield - both are undisputed regulars in their respective clubs. Callum McGregor from Celtic Glasgow is to be expected in playmaker position ahead of McGinn and Armstrong. The 27-year-old has very good technique and is characterized by his two-footed ability. However, McGregor has so far completely lost the goal of the national team. In 26 international matches, he has not yet scored a single goal and only gave one assist.

Attack

Ryan Christie from Celtic Glasgow is currently in the Scottish storm. Although the 26-year-old missed three games in 2020 due to a corona quarantine, he was always in the starting line-up in the remaining five international matches in Scotland and scored three times.

Three players duel for the place in the front line next to Christie. Oliver McBurnie from the bottom of the league in the Premier League, Sheffield United, hit the net for the first time this season and thus probably has the worst cards for a start. Team boss Clarke would also have the choice between two “foreigners”: Australian-born Lyndon Dykes from Queens Park Rangers and Che Adams from Southampton FC, who was born in Leicester in England, are further alternatives.

Adams was called up for the first time for Scotland's national team for the upcoming qualifying games and could make his international debut against Austria. This season Adams has scored eleven goals in 28 league games for Southampton.

Possible Scotland Team

- Marshall

- McTominay, Cooper, Tierney  

- O'Donnell, McGinn, Armstrong, Robertson

- McGregor

- Christie, Adams

https://www.skysportaustria.at/schottland-im-gegner-check-em-euphorie-und-die-abwehr-als-prunkstueck/

11 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I don’t think Gallagher can play the RCB role at this level tbh. Hardly played, and needs the protection offered to him in the middle where he can just header and kick things.

If Hendry has genuinely improved I think he is the alternative to McTominay. Right footed, plenty of pace and far better on the ball than the other options. Sure we’ll find out soon enough if he has improved though. 

Was just about to post saying that. 

The system in recent games has relied on McTominay being able to effectively progress the ball from deep on our right hand side. No way is Gallagher technically good enough to play this role for us. If Gallagher plays in the back 3 it has to be in the middle. Think that's why Hendry is in the squad, as he will be able to do that if McTominay goes into midfield for any of the games. 

14 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I reckon it will be:

Marshall

O'Donnell McTominay Gallagher Tierney Robertson

McGregor McGinn McLean

Fraser Dykes

Probably very close to what the actual line up will be, however I don't think both McLean and McGregor will start. 

I may be wrong, but I can't remember Clarke ever using them both in the pitch at the same time? It seems to me that McLean is backup to McGregor for the 'deep lying playmaker' role in midfield, with Jack doing more running and pressing (Fleck has seemed to be the backup for this role). 

Don't think Fleck will start, so think it will either be McTominay moving into midfield, or McGinn moving a bit deeper to play Jack's role, with Armstrong going in at 10. Don't think It would work as well with McLean playing as the more combative pressing ball winner and don't think Clarke would fancy that either. But McGinn or McTominay could both play Jack's role very well imo. 

According to Sky Sports Austria Cooper will be in the back three. [emoji2960]
On Thursday, the ÖFB team will kick off the World Cup qualification for the 2022 finals in Qatar. Team principal Franco Foda's eleven meet Scotland in the venerable Hampden Park in Glasgow. In the opponent check we take a closer look at the “Bravehearts”.
The system
Under team boss Steve Clarke, Scotland has played mostly in a 3-5-2 system with a clear focus on the defensive. Before joining Scotland's national team, Clarke worked as an assistant at Chelsea under coach José Mourinho. In eight competitive games in 2020, Scotland never conceded more than one goal. Scotland always acts robustly in duels, acts a lot with long balls and tries to shift the game into the opposing half by capturing second balls.
The Scots have traditionally struggled offensive: in the past eight games they only scored more than one goal - in the 2-1 win against the Czech Republic in September. The “Bravehearts” ended the last international game year with two 0-1 defeats in the Nations League against Slovakia and Israel.
Goalkeeper
In goal, Clarke can fall back on three veterans with Craig Gordon (38 years), John McLaughlin (33) and David Marshall (36). Marshall, who became a hero for Scotland in the European Championship playoffs, when he saved the decisive penalty both in the playoff semifinals against Israel and in the final against Serbia and secured his first European Championship participation in 25 years, was recently in the lead. So far, the Scots have only participated in a European Championship finals twice. In 1992 and 1996 the preliminary round was over.
Marshall is currently under contract with Derby County in the English second division. Should ÖFB team goalkeeper Daniel Bachmann from Watford FC be in goal on Thursday, there would be a duel between two goalkeepers from the English Championship in this position.
Defence
Scotland's defensive line is also the showpiece of the team and consists largely of seasoned Premier League players. Arsenal professional Kieran Tierney, Leeds captain Liam Cooper and Scott McTominay from Manchester United should be expected in the back three in the defence centre. The 24-year-old is an indispensable regular in the Premier League table runner-up, but is in the middle of midfield at his club, unlike the national team.
The row of three is flanked on the right by Stephen O'Donnell (FC Motherwell), on the left Liverpool's Andrew Robertson - one of the best left-backs in the world - marches up and down the wing. In particular, the dynamic advances and dangerous flanks of the Liverpool defender must be prevented for the ÖFB team.
Midfield
In midfield, team boss Clarke has to do without an important player due to an injury against Austria. Ryan Jack, who played a central role in the first championship for the Glasgow Rangers since 2011 and is also normally seeded on the national team, is out with a persistent calf injury.
The duo around Stuart Armstrong from Hasenhüttl-Klub FC Southampton and John McGinn from Aston Villa's surprise team should start in midfield - both are undisputed regulars in their respective clubs. Callum McGregor from Celtic Glasgow is to be expected in playmaker position ahead of McGinn and Armstrong. The 27-year-old has very good technique and is characterized by his two-footed ability. However, McGregor has so far completely lost the goal of the national team. In 26 international matches, he has not yet scored a single goal and only gave one assist.
Attack
Ryan Christie from Celtic Glasgow is currently in the Scottish storm. Although the 26-year-old missed three games in 2020 due to a corona quarantine, he was always in the starting line-up in the remaining five international matches in Scotland and scored three times.
Three players duel for the place in the front line next to Christie. Oliver McBurnie from the bottom of the league in the Premier League, Sheffield United, hit the net for the first time this season and thus probably has the worst cards for a start. Team boss Clarke would also have the choice between two “foreigners”: Australian-born Lyndon Dykes from Queens Park Rangers and Che Adams from Southampton FC, who was born in Leicester in England, are further alternatives.
Adams was called up for the first time for Scotland's national team for the upcoming qualifying games and could make his international debut against Austria. This season Adams has scored eleven goals in 28 league games for Southampton.
Possible Scotland Team
- Marshall
- McTominay, Cooper, Tierney  
- O'Donnell, McGinn, Armstrong, Robertson
- McGregor
- Christie, Adams
https://www.skysportaustria.at/schottland-im-gegner-check-em-euphorie-und-die-abwehr-als-prunkstueck/

The stuff about the positioning of McGregor (and Armstrong) in the midfield is wrong too - reads a bit like someone who has only looked into our formation but not really how we play.

9 minutes ago, dysartrovers said:
35 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:
Always get something on hesgoal if you can stand foreign commentary. 

Perfect cheers. It's no for me anyway. My mate is working in Saudi and can't get the game so I'm sure he will be happy with anything

It always works. Just put hesgoal into Google click the link then choose the game from the list on left of the page.