Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

I'm sure this is just Rangers trying to "punish" the Lowland League sides for opposing the Conference League , by withdrawing their financial support. Good riddance.

It's an absurd position - apparently Rangers thought having a B team in the Lowland League was a great idea for 2 seasons, but suddenly it isn't anymore! I don't think they ever cared about developing younger players, they just wanted to find a way of getting B teams in to the SPFL.  

22 minutes ago, offsideflag said:

I'm sure this is just Rangers trying to "punish" the Lowland League sides for opposing the Conference League , by withdrawing their financial support. Good riddance.

It's an absurd position - apparently Rangers thought having a B team in the Lowland League was a great idea for 2 seasons, but suddenly it isn't anymore! I don't think they ever cared about developing younger players, they just wanted to find a way of getting B teams in to the SPFL.  

Why do you think they wanted to get their B Team into the SPFL, what do they have to gain by it?

I have my own theory and its not just for the sake of getting their B team into the SPFL, there has to be something more to gain. Same with Celtic.

29 minutes ago, offsideflag said:

...they just wanted to find a way of getting B teams in to the SPFL.  

Their B team needs to be playing full-time clubs in the Championship to match what happens in Portugal or the Netherlands with Ajax, PSV, Benfica, and Porto. The idea that games against Edinburgh Uni and Gretna were ever going to be the answer was always laughable if they were going to do this properly and actually develop players that would start regularly for their first team. Think they see there is now zero chance of that ever happening so there's no point hanging around waiting for the final GTF from the LL clubs early next year.

24 minutes ago, approximately dave said:

Why do you think they wanted to get their B Team into the SPFL, what do they have to gain by it?

I have my own theory and its not just for the sake of getting their B team into the SPFL, there has to be something more to gain. Same with Celtic.

They want 2 teams in the SPFL a) to give their reserves/youths better opposition and b) (Kerching!) To eventually get thousands of the faithful in through the gate every week, instead of every fortnight. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Hearts have said they are still planning to take part.

From what's been written Hearts appear to have benefited however small from this experiment.

That doesnt mean they should stay.

Going to be really pedantic now.

The agreement was for 3 b teams in the LL. That contract, if you will has been broken. Is there now an opportunity to kick the other 2 out.

Just asking like.

9 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

From what's been written Hearts appear to have benefited however small from this experiment.

That doesnt mean they should stay.

Going to be really pedantic now.

The agreement was for 3 b teams in the LL. That contract, if you will has been broken. Is there now an opportunity to kick the other 2 out.

Just asking like.

No team will be kicked out is cash on offer ?

54 minutes ago, Redcar said:

They want 2 teams in the SPFL a) to give their reserves/youths better opposition and b) (Kerching!) To eventually get thousands of the faithful in through the gate every week, instead of every fortnight. 

I think it has more to do with selling fees for players than attendances.

7 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I think it has more to do with selling fees for players than attendances.

It's also an attempt at retention and attracting other young players. 

If they were in the Championship they can sell it as a better experience than the u23 league down south. 

1 hour ago, approximately dave said:

They want to be able to hoard the best of Scottish youth talent whilst having their A Team in the Premiership and their B Team competing at the top of the Championship.  It's really just to earn them more money through attendances and sell-on fees.  Using the development of Scottish talent is just an excuse for this.  They were proposing a cartel and fortunately they were told where to go.

The effective relegation of 200+ clubs and the subsequent deprivation of players to existing SPFL clubs wouldn't have bothered them in the slightest - to them Celtic and Rangers are Scottish football and I suppose in many ways they are probably not far off.

1 hour ago, annan4eva said:

No team will be kicked out is cash on offer ?

It's down to £5k per non B-team club now, and I can't see Parks carrying on their sponsorship for any longer than they have to.