Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:

Isn't that the parachute payment?  why should L2 clubs have an ongoing "safety net" if they get relegated into non-league?

We all know it's a bribe to get B teams into the top end of the Pyramid and that as this money undoubtedly increases as we go along, it will come to bear on SPFL clubs to get them to vote to allow promotion. Slowly slowly catchee monkey......

Nobody’s disagreeing that aim is to get B teams into SPFL 

13 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Yes 

You didn't share it last time either. The leaked stuff about the SFA proposal said that the beauty of the conference option was that the SPFL wouldn't get a vote, now the claim seems to be the opposite, that they'd back it. 

On 24/04/2023 at 15:13, Cowden Cowboy said:

Every club gets that apart from the B  teams not the winners - I would think for many L2 clubs playing the same clubs in the LL with no prize money at all might be even less appealing?  

If club directors would prefer to play in the B team conference rather than the lowland league without B teams then that only shows the huge difference between a director and a fan. I don’t know anyone who would like to see our club drop in to a league where most of the games would seem meaningless. Indeed I know very few who would actually go to games. On the contrary a successful season in the lowland league could revive a club. You only need to look at Brechin this season for proof of that. Dropping in to a B team conference would be far more likely to lead to a clubs demise than dropping in to a decent lowland league where there was proper promotion and relegation at both ends 

51 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

If club directors would prefer to play in the B team conference rather than the lowland league without B teams then that only shows the huge difference between a director and a fan. I don’t know anyone who would like to see our club drop in to a league where most of the games would seem meaningless. Indeed I know very few who would actually go to games. On the contrary a successful season in the lowland league could revive a club. You only need to look at Brechin this season for proof of that. Dropping in to a B team conference would be far more likely to lead to a clubs demise than dropping in to a decent lowland league where there was proper promotion and relegation at both ends 

Exactly. Enthusiastically supporting going into a league with youth teams who're playing for nothing is effectively saying you're giving up on actually playing meaningful, competitive league football for the sake of a few grand.

There's no point in having the money if you're just using it to exist in a training league where half your games are basically friendlies.

Edited by Gordon EF

9 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

This BBC article demonstrates the failure of Premiership clubs to give youth a chance.  Only 18 players, aged 21 or under, have started a match this season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65394532

Interesting to see the statement the conference seems to be put into cold storage in there,  are SPFL clubs putting up more resistance than expected and it’s threat kept there by Maxwell for just long enough to get the LL clubs to sell out again?

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Interesting to see the statement the conference seems to be put into cold storage in there,  are SPFL clubs putting up more resistance than expected and it’s threat kept there by Maxwell for just long enough to get the LL clubs to sell out again?

I think that statement probably just refers to the Conference not being in place for next season.

35 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

This BBC article demonstrates the failure of Premiership clubs to give youth a chance.  Only 18 players, aged 21 or under, have started a match this season.

So they’re wrecking the integrity of the pyramid incase the odd old firm youngster might get a seat on the bench in the odd league game?

Get these b teams out the lowland league now.

58 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Every year a different carrot or stick is dangled above the heads of LL chairmen and every season they fall for it just to find out there never really was a carrot or stick. Dogs would learn not to respond to that tactic quicker.

19 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Yip and given almost every article on the BBC website concentrates on Celtic and Rangers isn't it interesting that there is no reference to those two teams' 'efforts' to play youth

On 24/04/2023 at 18:02, welshbairn said:

You didn't share it last time either. The leaked stuff about the SFA proposal said that the beauty of the conference option was that the SPFL wouldn't get a vote, now the claim seems to be the opposite, that they'd back it. 

The SPFL voting system means a proposal can be blocked by a relatively small number of teams whereas forming a separate “Conference” company under the SFA only needs a straight 51% vote in favour at the AGM.

3 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

The SPFL voting system means a proposal can be blocked by a relatively small number of teams whereas forming a separate “Conference” company under the SFA only needs a straight 51% vote in favour at the AGM.

Brown said it would it come within the SPFL structure and rules, and promotion to and demotion from L2 would have to be changed to the conference rather than LL/HL. I'd be amazed if that didn't require SPFL agreement by club vote.

3 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Yip and given almost every article on the BBC website concentrates on Celtic and Rangers isn't it interesting that there is no reference to those two teams' 'efforts' to play youth

It is just not realistic to criticise the OF for not playing youth footballers in meaningful (i.e. League & cup) matches. The Scottish qualified players which they have need to be good enough, in the first place, to eventually reach the first teams. Most of the best Youth players have already been snapped up by English Premiership clubs.

However, that in itself, proves the point that the OF critics have been making for so long i.e. OF Youth teams in the pyramid should not be parachuted in at Tier 5, if at all, as, at the end of the day, they're unlikely to make the grade n any case.

Edited by Dev

55 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Brown said it would it come within the SPFL structure and rules, and promotion to and demotion from L2 would have to be changed to the conference rather than LL/HL. I'd be amazed if that didn't require SPFL agreement by club vote.

It will be SPFL rules and structure but it’s to be a separate company administered by the SPFL and this allows them to bypass the voting system. I believe the SPFL Women’s Premier League is a limited company and is being used as the template.

Re Club vote, remember that SPFL Clubs were never granted a vote on the play off rules when it was introduced so they won’t get one now.

Hugely frustrating but Maxwell, Doncaster and B Teams have had all season to dream this up, (with lawyers no doubt) and then only presented the options to LL at the last minute.