World Cup qualifiers - Qatar 2022

Oceaniafootball.com

A bit of an end to end game going on between Soloman Islands and Papua New Guinea, 1-1 right now and SI missed a penalty just before half-time to go 2-1 up.

Its like watching 5 a sides, fucking brilliant.

4 minutes ago, Donathan said:

No offence to New Zealand but I’m rooting for the pure chaos of one of their minnows getting through. Even better still if it happens in 2026 when they have a direct qualification spot. 

100%

Sound like a p***k saying this or a hipster, but seeing Tahiti at the 2013 Confederations Cup was probably my favourite ever moment in international football.

9 minutes ago, Donathan said:

No offence to New Zealand but I’m rooting for the pure chaos of one of their minnows getting through. Even better still if it happens in 2026 when they have a direct qualification spot. 

Yeah, I think Tahiti's games were the only Confederations Cup matches I ever bothered watching. Be a laugh if a team like that ever made it to a World Cup. Bound to happen one tournament with the automatic place.

7 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Yeah, I think Tahiti's games were the only Confederations Cup matches I ever bothered watching. Be a laugh if a team like that ever made it to a World Cup. Bound to happen one tournament with the automatic place.

Probably the only good thing about the 48 team tournament, tbh. The 3 team groups are going to be awful.

If they really wanted to go to 48 and not have anyone playing 8 games then it should just be 12 groups of 4 with the winners and best four runners up qualifying for the last 16. 

This would also be better from a TV perspective (88 games rather than the proposed 80 and the current 64)

Although I suppose the proposed format has 80 games in 80 unique slots whereas my format would necessitate twelve pairs of games being played simultaneously. 

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Honestly I wouldn’t be mad if they went to 64 and only the group winners qualify. 112 games across 96 unique slots, no team has to play more than 7 games, and more opportunity for banter teams to qualify. 

Would just go with 64 teams and top two through. If you played all the group games and, say, the last 32 as double-headers, it wouldn't take that much longer than it does currently to complete.

2 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Would just go with 64 teams and top two through. If you played all the group games and, say, the last 32 as double-headers, it wouldn't take that much longer than it does currently to complete.

I thought the reason the 48 team format was chosen was because it was a deal-breaker for the clubs to have teams playing > 7 games?

Costa Rica/Panama will pap them out comfortably 

Those teams are also shite if they finish 4th in North America. Panama were comfortably the worst team at the last World Cup. It's a one-off game too so I can see it being close.

One thing I’ve noticed from watching both the OFC games today is that there didn’t seem to be any fans in the stadium. Is Qatar still under covid restrictions or do the locals just not care about Oceanian World Cup qualifiers?