World Cup qualifiers - Qatar 2022

19 minutes ago, Donathan said:

DR Congo have never been to the World Cup in their current guise but they of course did go to the 1974 World Cup under the name of Zaire, when they were in our group

Aye, that's why I said "a proper shot". That Zaire squad spent the tournament terrified that Mobutu would have them killed when they got home, which explains both their performances and some of the bizarre things the players did under stress.

DRoC held to a 1-1 draw after failing to take their chances. Morocco will be quite happy with that, and will likely feel confident that home advantage will take them through. Bugger.

Edit: Mali v Tunisia now. Quite hoping Tunisia go out, as they're traditionally the most boring African side at any given World Cup. I seem to remember Mali being pretty good value at the last AFCON too.

Edited by BFTD

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

We can probably rule Mali out already, Sissako has scored an own goal and then got himself sent off.

Can see all the boring Arab teams qualifying.

Amazing. It all happened while I was out of the room putting a pan of water on to boil.

Also, mods, please do something about this racist, thx.

Sending-off killed Mali v Tunisia, for the most part, although I'm not convinced Mali would've scored anyway. I guess we can look forward to another three tedious group games, and definitely no more.

Can't believe Algeria beat Cameroon. Will be raging about that one too if they qualify.

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Sending-off killed Mali v Tunisia, for the most part, although I'm not convinced Mali would've scored anyway. I guess we can look forward to another three tedious group games, and definitely no more.

Can't believe Algeria beat Cameroon. Will be raging about that one too if they qualify.

No doubt Egypt will beat Senegal too completing a clean sweep for the North African sides 

3 hours ago, Donathan said:

DR Congo have never been to the World Cup in their current guise but they of course did go to the 1974 World Cup under the name of Zaire, when they were in our group

And their shitey keeper got us knocked out by diving over the ball with ten minutes to go against Brazil.

Get them to f**k, tbh.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

No doubt Egypt will beat Senegal too completing a clean sweep for the North African sides 

Come back next week for a full-blown Head's Gone from me.

Egypt are another side that can GTF. Only qualify when they're shite.

22 hours ago, BFTD said:

Putting aside the corruption and human rights abuses for something more important*, I'm not a fan of awarding tournaments to countries who wouldn't be there otherwise. Japan was dodgy as they'd never qualified for a World Cup, but it was mitigated by the necessity of somebody sharing with the Koreans, who were almost ever-presents by that stage. South Africa kind of got away with it, having just qualified for two in a row and being international pariahs for most of the tournament's history, although another African nation should have been the first hosts for that very reason IMO. Also, nobody could have realistically predicted that they'd be a bit shit by 2010.

There's an argument that Qatar might now have had a chance of qualifying for this tournament anyway - maybe - but in 2010 they were absolute no-hopers that would've been ridden raw at the big table. It might just be me that's bothered by this, but I think there should be some kind of justification that a host nation might have been there anyway, and not just because they just offered us so much money, you guys!?

*this was a joke

Japan lost their 3 matches in the 1998 WC finals in France.

3 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

Japan lost their 3 matches in the 1998 WC finals in France.

But they hadn't even qualified for that when they were awarded the tournament, which was my point. They were still World Cup virgins, hard though that is to believe these days. Can't really imagine Japan not qualifying now.

Edit: I didn't realise that, as well as finishing 9th at the tournament they hosted, they matched that finish in 2010. They're not going to win the tournament or anything, but their games are normally worth tuning in to, thinking about it.

Edited by BFTD

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Inject the shots of the fans crying into my veins.

Considering the World Cup cameras only ever focus on attractive young women, you might want to seek help for that fetish!

Today is very likely the day for Canada. They will punch their ticket with either a point at home to Jamaica, or if either the US don’t beat Panama at home or Costa Rica don’t win in El Salvador.

USA are in if they better Costa Rica’s result.

Mexico in with a win and Costa Rica drop points, if a draw will be enough if both Costa Rica and Panama lose.

Costa Rica and Panama both still have a shot at the top 3 but need snookers. Most likely they are playing for 4th place and an intercontinental playoff.