Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

22 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

I think anyone born in Scotland with a UK  passport should get a vote in Indy2. 

Just my opinion but i don't see why not

What about people with a Scots born parent or grandparent? The line has to be drawn somewhere. I think limiting the franchise to those resident in Scotland is the fairest way to do this as these are the people who will be most directly affected by any political decisions.

11 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

That is a fair point though I think it depends on the circumstances. BTW How long do you have to have lived in Scotland to get a vote?

Anyone who lives in Scotland and is a UK national or is a foreign national with leave to remain is eligible. There's no residence time requirement.

24 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:
36 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:
That is a fair point though I think it depends on the circumstances. BTW How long do you have to have lived in Scotland to get a vote?

Law was changed for Scottish elections only last year. All foreign nationals who have leave to remain can vote (including refugees).

As it should be. 

25 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

What about people with a Scots born parent or grandparent? The line has to be drawn somewhere. I think limiting the franchise to those resident in Scotland is the fairest way to do this as these are the people who will be most directly affected by any political decisions.

Anyone who lives in Scotland and is a UK national or is a foreign national with leave to remain is eligible. There's no residence time requirement.

someone just arriving who might not even stay gets a vote and someone who has spent most of life in Scotland but is not resident at that time cant.

but I do get the argument and accept why Scottish people not resident cant vote just would like that changed for fundamental votes like Indy

Edited by BigDoddyKane

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I appreciate your efforts in trying to detoxify Alba on here. I see you making a case for them as well as could be made, pointing to their manifesto and arguing that this is what they should be judged on. Fair enough.

But for many the Alba project has many fatal flaws. Many people in it, or supporters of it, are for whatever reason coming across as complete nutjobs. WoS puts out the most hateful bile, and it's Alba supporters who are picking it up and praising it, magnifying it and directing their bile on the other pro-independence parties. Alex Salmond was once the best politician Scotland had to offer, but he has been reduced to an angry husk of what he was. I make the comparison with Trump going after Republicans who were not sufficiently in his corner. Salmond is doing the same with the SNP. 

The old saying I think applies. You fly with the crows, you get shot with the crows. Many people are turned off by the Alba supporters and so won't vote for the Alba party,

Here's the thing, though.  ALBA weren't/aren't "toxic" to begin with.  It's a simple trope, used in an attempt by supporters of a larger independence party, to crush another independence party which is smaller.  Depending on the mood of the FM's most sycophantic followers, ALBA are either an irrelevance, or a nascent rival to be destroyed with extreme prejudice.  Is that not bile being directed towards another pro-independence party?  

The whole charade comes across as hypocritical, in my opinion.  Salmond was "good" when he was the best leader the SNP ever had.  No-one really noticed, or bothered, when he was a backbencher for the SNP afterwards.  Now he's somehow "bad" because NS is irritated by his presence, or something.  I'd wager that the majority of people in ALBA, were SNP members at some point, prior to moving on.  Also, the idea that no-one on the "Both Votes Nicola" team, has never said anything slanderous or OTT, is pretty silly and unrealistic.  In-lieu of anything coming from their party during this election, apart from snapshots of the FM's face on the side of a bus, they've went fulltime on attempting to ruin ALBA through smears.  

Just now, Pato said:

I vividly remember London residents Gabby and Kenny Logan arguing in 2014 they should get a vote because he'd kicked a rugby ball and they were owners of Scottish property. I'd characterise that as the kind of enfranchisement of the 19th century, not the 21st.

surely anyone thats worn tartan or eaten shortbread should get a vote

4 minutes ago, Pato said:

You do get countries like France that let their expats vote and get represented as an overseas constituency. I don't think it's a great idea for the previously mentioned reasons. Plus expats are always massive tories on the whole.

maybe in the past but with the amount of Scots who moved into EU in last 20 years, i think majority would pro indy by a long way

I think quite a lot of european countries allow voting from overseas, I know in some EU countries you dont get to vote in national elections unless you are a full citizen either so residency isnt enough which is a bit unfair i think

Edited by BigDoddyKane

6 minutes ago, Pato said:

They did, leading to these glorious headlines: https://www.joe.co.uk/news/british-immigrants-in-tears-after-being-told-to-leave-spain-268309

Shaun Cromber, who voted for Britain to leave the EU in 2016, told Global247News: "Yes I voted out, but I didn’t realise it would come to this, my application has been rejected and we are on our way home – the wife is in tears, she’s distraught if I’m honest and I’m not too happy at the prospect of returning back to the UK.

Shauns old muckers from Ukip and Britain First facebook pages give his arriving flight a Great British welcome.

Brexit has given voice to racism – and too many are complicit | Miqdaad  Versi | The Guardian

Edited by dirty dingus

34 minutes ago, Pato said:

I vividly remember London residents Gabby and Kenny Logan arguing in 2014 they should get a vote because he'd kicked a rugby ball and they were owners of Scottish property. I'd characterise that as the kind of enfranchisement of the 19th century, not the 21st.

Suddenly remembering Alan Cumming on Question Time saying I AM A SCOTTISH CITIZEN over and over while an audience member went "but you live in Los Angeles"

Ghouls, the lot of them

13 minutes ago, Pato said:

Met a few of these types, folk who were proudly non Spanish speaking and had been there years without going through the residency process or anything. Once went to Torrevieja and met a lovely chap who said the thing he liked most about Spain was there was that there was "no political correctness". Hope they're all fucked tbh.

53 minutes ago, Pato said:

On a rugby theme (although he does live in Edinburgh), Scott Hastings giving it his "Do not question my patriotism....I have bled for my country" patter in a pre-referendum debate when arguing for his No vote, was hilarious.

You got cuts, bruises and bumps playing eggball pal, hardly charging the fields at Bannockburn. Tit of a man.

Edited by wirez

25 minutes ago, wirez said:

On a rugby theme (although he does live in Edinburgh), Scott Hastings giving it his "Do not question my patriotism....I have bled for my country" patter in a pre-referendum debate when arguing for his No vote, was hilarious.

You got cuts, bruises and bumps playing eggball pal, hardly charging the fields at Bannockburn. Tit of a man.

The “do not question my patriotism just because I want my country to exist solely as a minor, almost always voiceless, servile region of another country!” patter really does always sound defensive - especially when it’s almost invariably an unprovoked outburst. 

1 hour ago, Pato said:

Pretty funny they could only rustle up the rubbish Hastings brother

Gavin and a load of other rugby players from the 80's and 90's turned up for a photoshoot for the No campaign. Given they were mostly former public schoolboys / farmers from the borders, it was not much of a shock to see where their loyalties lay.

rugbylegends.jpg

Edited by wirez