Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

35 minutes ago, wirez said:

Gavin and a load of other rugby players from the 80's and 90's turned up for a photoshoot for the No campaign. Given they were mostly former public schoolboys / farmers from the borders, it was a not much of a shock to see where their loyalties lay.

rugbylegends.jpg

Tbf to scottish rugby they asked to do this photo shoot inside Murrayfeld and got told to gtf 

39 minutes ago, wirez said:

Gavin and a load of other rugby players from the 80's and 90's turned up for a photoshoot for the No campaign. Given they were mostly former public schoolboys / farmers from the borders, it was a not much of a shock to see where their loyalties lay.

rugbylegends.jpg

These tadgers are better sticking to drinking pints of sick and ramming lit newspapers down their pants than doing politics. Doubt one of them would have took the knee unless it was for a trinket from Betty.  

6 hours ago, Double Jack D said:

I have to admit to being very disappointed and frustrated at how the three pro indy parties have behaved in this campaign. The hostility from Alba, the falsehoods from SNP on their second vote strategy and the Greens.... well actually the greens have been not too bad.

I'd said before that I'd definitely be SNP1, we need to have the power to assert our constitutional future either now or once the Covid crisis is done. I was Yes in 2014 and the stuff that has happened since has only convinced me further that Scotland needs far far more control over it's resources and policies in order to progress as a nation. The UK is holding us back rather than allowing us to prosper.

My list vote was always gonna be between Greens and Alba. I had hope that Alba would positively invigorate the debate however being led by Alex Salmond has resulted in a toxicity that is probably a bit unfair on some of their prospective candidates. Whilst I could vote for them in Mid Scotland and Fife and have no impact on Salmond being elected, I'm not sure a sizeable chunk of Alba MSP's with him at the helm is the right thing at this time. There is potential there if they could secure alternative leadership in the future however I'm hoping that the next elections are for an indy scotland parliament and their reason for being will have vanished (and the SNP's).

Therefore, I think the second vote will be going green. I'm not fully on board with everything they stand for but on constitutional and environmental issues, which are probably my main priorities, they tick most of my boxes.

For me, that's the biggest talking point of this election. 

I cannot see any rational reason for permitting the Vote Leave regime, whose callous actions contributed to the needless deaths of 112,000 people in England due to COVID and which sees acts of corruption as an appropriate response to any situation, even global crises, to rule over us for one minute longer than necessary. 

Their "union", is a folly.  Their "Prime Minster", is an Etonian conman, who even now demands ever more opulent living conditions for himself, paid for by others.  Their "monarchy", is illegitimate.  Their "media", is a disgrace.  Their mandate to govern us, non-existent.  Scots neither voted for Brexit, nor Boris Johnson.

The problem with the "independence as an afterthought" approach, is that while we wait indeterminately, people here who currently aren't living comfortably, suffer due to Westminster misrule.  Scottish shellfish, rotting on the docks, because we don't control our own customs.  We can do nothing about drug related deaths.  We cannot enact Universal Basic Income, despite Nicola Sturgeon supporting UBI.  All reserved.  

Scottish control over the economy, finance, welfare and taxation, through independence, is how we recover.  Only ALBA advocate this position.  I like the Five Point Plan, anaw.

1. Introduce an Annual £500 payment to assist half a million low earnings households in Scotland 🏠

2. Increase the Scottish Child Payment to £40 per week for 400,000 children in quarter of a million households 🧒

3. Extend free school meals to all primary and secondary pupils in Scotland 🍎

4. Double the Educational Maintenance Allowance (EMA) from £30 to £60 for 16-19 year olds in school and college 📚

5. Introduce universal access to sports facilities for all children and young people under 18 ⚽

SNP / Green on Thursday.
I'm slightly holding my nose voting Green but there literally is no-one else on the list where I live. Not a decent left winger or trade unionist in sight on the list. A hateful mix of Brexit monomaniacs, fascists, anti-vaxxers, The Lodge Says Abolish Holyrood and Gawd Bless Are Majesty, ruddy-faced Turriff businessmen against Paying Tax ever, pro-life homophobic religious obscurantists, and Bonapartists. 
I'd say about a third of the Greens if not openly unionist are sceptical on independence from a "citizen of the world" type position. Middle class types who seem much more exercised by poverty in Sao Paolo than Sanquhar. Robin Harper, the cuddly scarf-wearing uncle who was their first leader from 1999-2003 in the devolutionary period, is not only a Unionist but also a monarchist lickspittle.
That said they are a significantly more left wing formation than they were at the beginning of the century and the younger membership does seem much more independence minded. So really they are the least worst option from my point of view.
I'm the same with Greens.

Its a route to independence - Alba could have been that route if they weren't full of completely nutjobs, racists and transphobes.

I think anyone born in Scotland with a UK  passport should get a vote in Indy2. 
Just my opinion but i don't see why not
I disagree - it has to be registered at an address in Scotland.

Anything else based on being Scottish is ethno-nationalism.

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The guy joined on 28 March.  Do you think he’s a serious poster?

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Your right, I wouldnt limit it to being born in Scotland but if youve spent most your life living in Scotland id give them a vote though the logistics of that would rule it out as being plausible but you dont stop being Scottish when you move abroad and the wish for a vote is just that. Even if i fully accept its not possible or probably fair

Edited by BigDoddyKane

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

They are not as has been pointed out to you before.

Apart from a few high profile ex-SNP people there's quite a few who have never been involved with the SNP.

When was this pointed out before? I am certainly aware not all member of Alba are from the SNP but wings and Salmond were previously amongst that particular herd. Just like some mad Tories joined UKIP. 

3 hours ago, wirez said:

On a rugby theme (although he does live in Edinburgh), Scott Hastings giving it his "Do not question my patriotism....I have bled for my country" patter in a pre-referendum debate when arguing for his No vote, was hilarious.

You got cuts, bruises and bumps playing eggball pal, hardly charging the fields at Bannockburn. Tit of a man.

Was it not the same TV debate he came out with something along the lines of "You can have your Scandinavian Scotland but I'll be applying for a UK passport the very next day!!!"?  I'm not sure who he thought he was persuading with that zinger.

Edited by Highland Capital

3 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Was it not the same TV debate he came out with something along the lines of "You can have your Scandinavian Scotland but I'll be applying for a UK passport the very next day!!!"?  I'm not sure who he thought he was persuading with that zinger.

Can't remember that one but wouldn't surprise me.

I do remember him rattling on that Scottish players would no longer be able to play for the British and Irish Lions. I mean FFS.

He came across as a fairly unhinged perma raging walloper.

2 hours ago, Stormzy said:

When was this pointed out before? I am certainly aware not all member of Alba are from the SNP but wings and Salmond were previously amongst that particular herd. Just like some mad Tories joined UKIP. 

You'll be able to provide proof that Wings was in the SNP then? He's never even voted for them!

Please stop posting lies.

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
2 hours ago, Stormzy said:

I did - just last week.

Can you recall the thread it was in?

16 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

You'll be able to provide proof that Wings was in the SNP then? He's never even voted for them!

Please stop posting lies.

You are so tapped.

I've never once said he was a member of the SNP or that he voted for them. You simply can't contest the fact he was a prominent online figure endorsed by many SNP supporters back in the day. 

This isn't some earth shattering point I'm making what so ever I've seen plenty of people on here admit this was the case even if some have always expressed doubts with his takes and not liked the guy. 

Edited by Stormzy

7 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I've never once said he was a member of the SNP

You did. You said "I am certainly aware not all member of Alba are from the SNP but wings and Salmond were previously amongst that particular herd."

Idiot.

23 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

You did. You said "I am certainly aware not all member of Alba are from the SNP but wings and Salmond were previously amongst that particular herd."

Idiot.

Jesus christ this is the most petty, pedantic, simplistic thing I've ever had to unfortunately experience on a forum. 

To anyone with reading comprehension above the age of primary 1 it's quite clear I'm saying that Wings and Salmond were both people supported by the SNP "herd" back in the day, if you had emboldened the rest of the sentence that much is obvious. The key word "amongst" clearly indicated I'm not saying they were specifically members but they were amongst and alongside members and endorsed by members and supporters, the idea you're acting patronising over this whilst entirely missing the point is pretty embarrassing tbh...

You purposefully misunderstanding something to try and prove a point is not only pretty weird but also perhaps the worst attempt of a slam dunk I've ever seen on a forum and that is a huge statement. 

Edited by Stormzy