Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

Just now, Dawson Park Boy said:

Agreed.

Im trying to find a solution.

Its the same with SNP voters. They are a diverse group but with one thing in common.

At least with the SNP voting there isn't the cognitive dissonance where they claim to be Labour voters but willingly vote Tory out of anti-SNP brain rot.

I hope the SNP voters will learn next time that if they have 48% in the vote then the list vote they have to vote for another pro independence party. Some of us did this time but not enough but at least the Greens have increased their seats. 

Edited by betting competition

2 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Agreed.

Its the same with SNP voters. They are a diverse group but with one thing in common.

I wouldn't vote SNP if they had tory policies.

See the difference?

1 minute ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

I'd like to a research paper written on the proportional relationship between the tuechtar/bumpkin inflections in someone's accent and likelyhood of voting Conservative 

I find most tory voting places contain shops selling fly rods, tattersall shirts and elephant cords.

1 minute ago, betting competition said:

I hope the SNP voters will learn this time that if they have 48% in the vote then the list vote they have to vote for another pro independence party. Some of us did this time but not enough but at least the Greens have increased their vote. 

I am sure there are a few lefties in the SNP who give their vote to the Greens and are happy with that pro-independence coalition. Why does there need to be another party?

1 hour ago, Cairn Terrier said:

Disappointed, is an understatement with the Galloway result.

It's weird.

There have been some boundary changes, but when Scottish Nationalism was much more of a minority sport, the SNP actually had some success there.  In October 1974, 11 SNP MPs were elected, but Galloway provided one of them.  In 1997, only 6 SNP MPs were returned, but one of them came from Galloway and Upper Nithsdale.

Now when the SNP is sweeping all before them across the country, they lose out in Galloway.  It's very frustrating.

9 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:
10 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:
They've been saying since yesterday that the two constituency wins in the south will hump them on the list.

I thought they still expected 1 comfortably as if not then it means they've actually made a net loss in the area which can't be right?

Polling suggested the SNP's list vote would be down due to some share going to Green and Alba.

If the media were remotely decent at their job, had caught up with AMS instead of still treating it as some jolly complex shenanigans, they'd have told us the list seats in the South with a fair amount of confidence already.

5 minutes ago, Anonapersona said:

I wouldn't vote SNP if they had tory policies.

See the difference?

Tories don't understand this because they have no principles beyond what they perceive to be good for them and their family. They believe that, deep down, everyone else does the same and refuse to accept that many, if not most, vote to improve the lives of people who have less even if it's at their own expense.

That's why I understand Tories voting tactically, but Labour are supposed to stand up for the poor.

How does someone who grew up voting Labour during the "Thatcher years". Watching the utter carnage inflicted on this Country, by that Govt. and Tory Govt's since, hate the idea of Scotland being a normal independent country so much, that they could vote Tory?

Guest TheJTS98
13 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Agreed.

There is no solution.

The bottom line is that around half of the population are in favour of a huge constitutional change. Asking for a 'normal' style of politics is basically asking half the population to drop that demand. It's not going to happen.

Politics in Scotland becomes normal when either independence happens or the UK somehow becomes well-run enough for people to buy into it. I know which of those I think is more likely.

What we have just now is not a viable situation for the continuity of the status quo. You can't just expect to limp on when half the population are in favour of big change and the long term direction of travel is pro-change.