Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

57 minutes ago, Dink said:

Is it not the case that the bill was passed unanimously, and ruled to be within the competence of the parliament by the presiding officer (under advice of the parliament lawyers? To come to the conclusion that this is SNP grievance mongering surely ignores a lot of the facts and the processes that the bill has gone through.

Wasn't it a cross party bill and the tories also voted it through.

Fud Fraser, Ross et al must be wondering at the sanity of their masters in the cabinet.

Best of all this is another election boost for the SNP as westminster bullies the Scottish people's Government, incredible bad timing but to be expected from westminster's equivalent to Billy Smarts CIrcus.

Edited by SandyCromarty

5 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Wasn't it a cross party bill and the tories also voted it through.

Yes, you are correct, but none of those politicians are expert in drafting bills. 
Once they agree the principles involved, it needs expert parliamentary lawyers to do the drafting.

7 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Yes, you are correct, but none of those politicians are expert in drafting bills. 
Once they agree the principles involved, it needs expert parliamentary lawyers to do the drafting.

a bill, any bill, is drafted by Government legal advisers before it is put forward to the House/Parliament for approval/consideration. Those legal advisers are very experienced in drafting such bills. It may well be a quibble over devolved legislation stepping into reserved areas but your desperation to immediately play it down to inexperience of the drafters or a mere technicality sits at the the same side of the spectrum as those you are seeking to admonish. 

11 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Scottish Parliament passes several bills every year. Quite why they're not 'expert' enough when they're appointed to act for Scotland is hard to see but I suspect you're just at it these days.

17 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I'm not getting into this other than to say it is a matter of interpretation as to whether the Bills were reserved and according to Scottish law.

For me, as I have said earlier, this is a massive boost for the SNP in the run up to the election as they will spin this to their obvious advantage, you have to ask if Boris's cabinet is that stupid with their timing of this. 

Anyway have a gander at the following, I'm out of this but over the moon at westminster's blunder;

(1) On or before the introduction of a Bill, the responsible Minister must report to Parliament that in his or her view the Bill is within the Parliament’s legislative competence;6 (2) On or before the introduction of a Bill, the Presiding Officer must report to Parliament his or her view as to whether or not the Bill is within the Parliament’s legislative competence;7 (3) Following the completion of the Bill’s parliamentary stages, the Presiding Officer must withhold submission of the Bill for Royal Assent for four weeks,8 during which period the Scottish and UK Law Officers – the Lord Advocate on behalf of the Scottish Government, and the Advocate General for Scotland and the Attorney General on behalf of the UK Government – may refer the question of legislative competence directly to the Supreme Court.9 

Edited by SandyCromarty

5 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

a bill, any bill, is drafted by Government legal advisers before it is put forward to the House/Parliament for approval/consideration. Those legal advisers are very experienced in drafting such bills. It may well be a quibble over devolved legislation stepping into reserved areas but your desperation to immediately play it down to inexperience of the drafters or a mere technicality sits at the the same side of the spectrum as those you are seeking to admonish. 

Fuckin right!

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

This attempt to devalue the Scottish Government has I suspect come from the inner sanctum of the rank rule brittania tory establishment which the likes of Rees Mogg epitomises.

It is a ridiculous situation where Public Schoolboys educated in Greek Classics and Latin verbs think they are absolutely entitled and competent enough to rule a country, it is archaic that buffoons such as we have now in the tory government could possibly identify with the broad population.

Isn't it ludicrous that the likes of Bojo is questioning in law a Bill on Childrens Rights when he has produced six children with three partners and on two occasions has walked out on his children to live with another woman? 

Brilliant post.

Post of the day for me - loved the bottom line!!

Thanks Sandy. 

:)

45 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

It's getting fuckin draffty with the Scottish tories as they rush into hiding with this latest incompetence by their downing street masters.

Sarwar on Radio Scotland's phone in with Kaye Adams right now and he is making a lot of good points and playing the 'good guy' in Scottish Politics.

With two strong debate showings, and if he keeps this front up, I can easily see Labour taking second place in the next Parliament.

It's getting fuckin draffty with the Scottish tories as they rush into hiding with this latest incompetence by their downing street masters.
Its funny Sky News are doing wall to wall coverage on this sleaze, as of last night (not checked today) you would actually have to go onto the BBC politics page to see anything. Counter that with the bullying of Sturgeon where it was front page BBC Scotland, BBC, UK and BBC world news.

8 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On 13/04/2021 at 17:01, SandyCromarty said:

Its funny Sky News are doing wall to wall coverage on this sleaze, as of last night (not checked today) you would actually have to go onto the BBC politics page to see anything. Counter that with the bullying of Sturgeon where it was front page BBC Scotland, BBC, UK and BBC world news.

I heard on the wireless that Cameron was potentially weighed in for multi millions of £s.

Something like £40m!

This knocks whether or not Sturgeon knew Salmond was a bit gropey into a cocked hat.

Edited by sophia

Two election communications today

A folding, four page pamphlet from the local Labour candidate. Half of it is him, the other half is the same generalities from Sarwar.

A card from the SNP. One side has a picture of Sturgeon which looks ten years old, it also features a small "Both votes SNP for IndyRef2" bit in one corner. Very disappointing.

3 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Two election communications today

A folding, four page pamphlet from the local Labour candidate. Half of it is him, the other half is the same generalities from Sarwar.

A card from the SNP. One side has a picture of Sturgeon which looks ten years old, it also features a small "Both votes SNP for IndyRef2" bit in one corner. Very disappointing.

Has anyone anywhere ever voted on the basis of these election flyers? Not letting the SNP off the hook for posting out shite (and definitely not the Tories for their “No Surrender” leaflets) - I’m just genuinely curious as to whether anyone decides how to cast their vote based on annoying clutter shoved through the letterbox. Seems like a massive waste of funds and paper. 

Looking at who's standing in my constituency I noticed Michael Crichton for the Lib Dems.

I was going to suggest that must mean the royalties for Jurassic Park have finally dried-up, then discovered he (the author) actually died just over 12 years ago. 

Certainly one of the more obscure election-related "today I learned" moments.

Edited by The Master