Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

My theory in the US was that Trump would’ve won without Covid, and the postal vote increase that it entailed. People who might’ve sacked off voting, or youngsters ticked on the list when Mum and Dad registered for their postal votes, pretty much exclusively voted Biden.

Old biddies vote anyway, often by post, and they’re the most likely demographic to go Tory. If the postal vote increase is picking up younger people it can only be good news for anyone that isn’t a Tory.

In theory.

Jason Leitch and his killer car parks chat has pretty much killed this for me. I cant vote SNP. I like what the greens stand for, and so might vote for them.

I cant cast a vote that counts against an indyref so its Green or spoil for me. Yet to decide.

17 hours ago, mac.i said:

I see wee Douglas Ross has found a way to avoid making an erse of himself on Social Media until the end of Monday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-56958078
Screenshot_20210501_183554.jpeg

That's weird. We keep being told that the Greens aren't considered an independence party.

Jason Leitch and his killer car parks chat has pretty much killed this for me. I cant vote SNP. I like what the greens stand for, and so might vote for them.

I cant cast a vote that counts against an indyref so its Green or spoil for me. Yet to decide.
As far as I can see the Greens are even more pro restrictions than the SNP. Odd choice based on your reasoning.

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

That's weird. We keep being told that the Greens aren't considered an independence party.

You looked at that photo and thought that was the weirdest thing about it?

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

As far as I can see the Greens are even more pro restrictions than the SNP. Odd choice based on your reasoning.

There’s no reasoning.  He’s followed the other clowns in the Covid thread down a rabbit hole.  I’m looking forward to the collective heads gone when the SNP once again romp clear to victory; it will be even sweeter if there’s a majority.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There’s no reasoning.  He’s followed the other clowns in the Covid thread down a rabbit hole.  I’m looking forward to the collective heads gone when the SNP once again romp clear to victory; it will be even sweeter if there’s a majority.

Fucking nick of a post. 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Fucking nick of a post. 

Fair enough.  Maybe you can then address the point @Billy Jean King raised.  If your reasoning for not voting SNP is due to their position on Covid restrictions why would you vote for the Greens whose position is very similar if not maybe more restrictive?

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Fair enough.  Maybe you can then address the point @Billy Jean King raised.  If your reasoning for not voting SNP is due to their position on Covid restrictions why would you vote for the Greens whose position is very similar if not maybe more restrictive?

Certainly. A vote for the greens would be about giving a pro indy vote whilst being unable to endorse the performance of the SNP. 

Certainly. A vote for the greens would be about giving a pro indy vote whilst being unable to endorse the performance of the SNP. 

Fair enough, I suppose the Greens condemning the SNP’s handling of Covid* and their outright condemnation of Leitch**makes it so much more logical.

BTW: * they haven’t and ** they haven’t.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Fair enough, I suppose the Greens condemning the SNP’s handling of Covid* and their outright condemnation of Leitch**makes it so much more logical.

Yeah, well clearly it doesnt matter a f**k since the greens wont be forming a government, and wont be driving covid restrictions or their removal. 

Its about being unable to cast a vote for people who I think are making a total c**t of it, but bring unwilling to cast a vote against getting indyref2

Not sure whats so difficult to understand about that, although since i did also list spoiling as a possibility maybe you should just process that instead? Maybe that will prevent further postings in the style of a 14 year old laddie from someone who actually put a tick in the box for Brexit. 

Yeah, well clearly it doesnt matter a f**k since the greens wont be forming a government, and wont be driving covid restrictions or their removal. 

Its about being unable to cast a vote for people who I think are making a total c**t of it, but bring unwilling to cast a vote against getting indyref2

Not sure whats so difficult to understand about that, although since i did also list spoiling as a possibility maybe you should just process that instead? Maybe that will prevent further postings in the style of a 14 year old laddie from someone who actually put a tick in the box for Brexit. 

^^^ accuses some of posting like a 14 year old whilst using the ‘logic’ of a 3 year old.

With apologies to logical 3 year olds.

^^^ accuses some of posting like a 14 year old whilst using the ‘logic’ of a 3 year old.

With apologies to logical 3 year olds.
Maybe best you just stick to CANNAE WAIT TAE SEE THE HEADS GONE type chat then m8, and il just cast my vote wherever I want, and certainly be safe in the knowledge that it will never meet or surpass your record of rank stupidity at the ballot box.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Ahhh so now you can pick and choose what your particular vote endorses rather than complete endorsement of every policy. 

Interesting development.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Greens have criticized SNP vivid handling quite a lot. And have tried to offer more constructive solutions than the other parties.

Also, why would they bother to comment on anything Jason leitch says?

15 hours ago, AMMjag said:

My criticism is nothing to do with 'getting' a referendum, I said there had been no credible strategy for laying the groundwork for this. This could involve actively exploring the legal outcomes if 'permission' was refused by WM in the eventuality of a simple majority support from MSPs, and adapting a response accordingly. It would also involve credible financial planning for the campaign itself, and a sustained approach towards strengthening the SP's powers.

So far the only contributions the SNP have made on this front have been the near-universally despised Growth Commission, throwing a blanket over their accounts and kicking further devolved powers (namely health/disability benefits) another couple of years into touch. 

I couldn't care less whether I'm in touch with polling on any of that, but I doubt many people are voting SNP with much enthusiasm next week.

A majority of people in Scotland voted to Remain in the EU, not to fight the rUK Remainers' battles for them through a nonsense second vote. Boris Johnson was losing key votes on a weekly basis; this cravenness to perception and majority opinion has resulted only in him being allowed out of his barrel to form a majority and pass a worse Brexit deal than the one on offer at the time.

In March 2021, the Scottish government introduced a draft Independence Referendum Bill, which if passed, would mandate a second vote on independence to be held.[2]

The SNP also published a “road to a referendum” document setting out its planned next steps. If there is a majority at Holyrood for independence, the party is expected to request a new Section 30 order – which would transfer the power to hold a second independence referendum to the Scottish parliament– from the UK government. This would ensure that the Scottish parliament could then pass its referendum bill without fear of legal challenge.

However, if that request is refused, then the SNP will seek to pass its referendum bill using the Scottish parliament’s existing powers.[3] In that scenario, the bill would almost certainly be referred by the UK government to the Supreme Court, which would be asked to determine whether it lay within the legislative powers of the Scottish parliament. If the Supreme Court ruled against the Scottish government, then the bill would be prevented from becoming law. The SNP has not stated what its next move would be in this circumstance.

I'm sure that the Treasury will love that. I doubt that the Tory back benchers will be keen either.  The Speaker might have a go at what appears to be a new policy/spending announcement being leaked to a paper instead of the floor of the House... unless, of course it's all wind and piss, just a baseless story placed in a paper shortly before the election to "buy off" the gullible.... 
I can't see the full article as there is a paywall. The Record (I know...) has expressions like "the PM is set to unveil...", "plans could include a spending spree...", "... The Health Secretary is also working on plans...", and "It comes amid fears that nationalists could win a majority in the Scottish Parliament next week...". 
The sad thing is that some folk will believe the Tories, ignoring the simple facts that 1) it's the Tories and 2) in reality, there is nothing there... 
It's all couched in coulds and maybes.

As about as trustworthy as The Vow.